Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 03:32 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,796,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt61 View Post
NC is quite deceptive.

There are good and nice things here, such as low or non-existent crime (at least in the Northern parts of the city), low traffic, apparently a good place to raise kids, its not a busy city and you can get anywhere quite easily.

But the town is really small-town minded, parochial, and disinterested in progress and growth. There are no mid-level jobs but plenty of $8 an hour jobs.
The folk here, while pleasant on the surface, seem to only like their own kind ESPECIALLY local government/city people and there is a clear aloof/snobby mindset between those who grew up and live inside the "real" Raleigh city and those who have "abandoned" the city by going to live outside this zone, which is separated from the rest of the city by a circular road, previously known as the Beltline.
Hmmmmmm...

Methinks this sounds very much like Kentucky. There is a very aloof/snobby mindset that is not apparent at first but becomes clear the longer you live here. Some communities are better or worse than others, but generally this is statewide.

And that "real" v. "abandoned" description of the city describes Louisville, Lexington and Northern Kentucky. Of course, I think many cities in the U.S. fit that bill. The southeast side of Lexington and Edgewood and Crestview Hills in N. Ky. are on par with the northern burbs of Atlanta, west LA (including the city of West L.A.) and the DC area as having some of the snobbiest folks around, IMO. Not to say that you can't find snobs in Louisville's east end, too, but Lex. and N. Ky. are pretty bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 04:30 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,887,312 times
Oh, my, I grew up in SE Lexington back in the '50s and am here once again, after living elsewhere during some of the intervening years. There have been lots of changes in my hometown over the years, but I don't find my long-time neighbors to be snobs at all. We and most of our newer neighbors enjoy our pleasant neighborhoods, with their convenience to schools and shopping, varied architecture and other desirable qualities of well-maintained older areas.

But it's true that people who move into older suburbs and immediately cut down mature healthy trees, remuddle older houses, make little effort to get to know their neighbors, hold large, loud, late and rowdy outdoor parties during warm weather, and who then verbally denigrate their new-to-them surroundings and neighbors may not find the warmest of welcomes among long-time residents.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:57 PM

116 posts, read 212,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The northern areas are not expensive at all. Quite a few off-grid houses with farms in northern Maine.
What I liked about Portland, ME was that it was so close to the ocean. Also, I understand they don't have the amount of snow that other parts of ME has. Although I must admit, my teenage daughters just fell in love with snowmobiling and ice skating this past winter here in northern IL. Maybe they would enjoy the snow in northern ME. I just really miss not living near the ocean. Lake Michigan is nice (huge), but it's still not the Atlantic.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:08 PM

116 posts, read 212,387 times
EclecticEars - Thanks for your replies. Actually KY isn't my first choice. We've looked in TN and NC also. I ruled out TN. My first choice would be somewhere in New England or on the East Coast. (I'm originally from PA.) My husband wants to get away from the cold and snow, so I guess those areas might be out (at least for now). Have you ever lived or been to Chapel Hill, NC? It looks like a great place with a wonderful college (UNC - Chapel Hill). We had considered the Raleigh area but have some concerns with the Wake County School System and the busing of children.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:32 AM

914 posts, read 1,982,494 times
I moved to Lexington a couple years ago from Ohio. I had the opportunity to move to places like Raleigh-Durham, Tampa, Atlanta, Dallas, St Louis, and Indy among others. Here's why I chose Lexington:

1. The weather. The summers are nice, but not unbearable. The winters are not frigid, but there is enough snow to satisfy my appetite for some of the white stuff.

2. The landscape. I have yet to find another place in the country where you can be in an urban setting one minute and within 5-10 minutes of driving you can be in the middle of horse farms and rolling hills.

3. The people. Lexington is full of people who are educated and friendly. I have not witnessed the snobbiness that some people on here mention.

4. The city. Lexington is a great sized town. It's definitely large enought that you can have a wide range of restaurants and shopping. I understand it doesn't have big designer stores, but I wouldn't shop in those places anyway. It also is very safe compared to similarly sized cities. Also, coming from Ohio I really appreciate the cleanliness of the city. There aren't rusted out factories and dilapidated neighborhoods.

5. Job opportunity. Ultimately, this is what drew me to the state. I had a job opportunity that I liked when I compared it to others in the nation.

6. Family. I have family in Louisville and western KY and Lexington is close enough for weekend trips.

In all likelihood I will be moving to Tennessee for family reasons in the next couple of years. The biggest reason I'm doing that is for family, but one of the major benefits is the lack of a state income tax. I'll personally save several thousand dollars a year because of that.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:41 PM

3 posts, read 11,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I have lived in Kentucky all my life (so far!) and can't think of any reason to live anywhere else. I agree with what Alan said about a lot of natural beauty. Would you believe Kentucky has more shoreline than any other state in the continental U.S.? Florida has 1200 miles of shoreline. Lake Cumberland has 1255 and it's not even the largest lake in the state. Plus Kentucky is surrounded by water on 3 sides. That makes for a lot of natural beauty, hunting, fishing, camping, and family fun. People are very friendly in Kentucky. Of course, like anywhere else in the world you will find someone who makes you wonder about that statement but, overall we're a friendly bunch. An older lady recently lived to Mayfield, where my parents live. She had moved from Connecticut and was very surprised about property taxes. Said she was totally surprised when she went to the courthouse to pay her county taxes and asked the clerk when her next payment was due and the clerk told her next year. Her yearly property taxes here were less than her quarterly taxes were up there. I know everybody feels different about where they live, or have lived. But I haven't found a reason to move.
would like to ask if where is the best place to live with children in KY?
We plan to move on March 2011. My husband will be working in Lexington, KY.

I'm looking at best middle/high school. I once read that stay away from Fayette county as they don't have good public school.

What are the other county that you would recommend ?
We are willing up to 30 miles from Lexington, KY.

I appreciate any help
Thank you

Old 01-28-2011, 08:11 PM

11,082 posts, read 17,525,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sof_heart View Post

I'm looking at best middle/high school. I once read that stay away from Fayette county as they don't have good public school.

I appreciate any help
Thank you
sof, I can't help you out there. I'm at the opposite end of the state.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:40 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sof_heart View Post

I appreciate any help
Thank you
Look at Scott County (Georgetown). I've heard good things about this area.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:10 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,887,312 times
Check my response to your question re Lexington schools in the general Kentucky forum. Lots of good public schools here, perhaps more so than in many of the surrounding counties...

Old 05-19-2011, 12:31 AM

3 posts, read 7,868 times
I love Kentucky it is my home. I have been here all my life followed by parents, grandparents, and great grandparents , as far back as you can go. My friends and neighbors love me, it is the best place on earth and I figure heaven to be very close to Russellville ky. All I can say if you don't like Kentucky then please leave because we only want the best here. Wish we had a law that could screen people before they come into the state. The very ground of Kentucky is my blood line. To offend Kentucky is like offending the very bloodline of the families here. We love one another brother!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky