Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 11:17 AM

17 posts, read 47,135 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Might be moving to NKY and I was wondering about the towns of Independence, Walton, Crittenden and any other towns that might be good for family living. I have looked up crime, pop., etc. and all look good. I am now looking for pro/cons of each town. What one town might offer more than another. Which has higher taxes, etc. If there are any other cities that I should consider, please let me know. I've never been to Crittenden. Does it have a town center?

Also, one person I know that lives in NKY, feels people from Ohio have a superior attitude toward NKY people. She feels they look down on Kentuckians. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 03:21 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,748,713 times
I will go through pros and cons of each town you listed.

Independence
PROS:
Still fairly rural, small town in character
"Old" Independence still is a cute little town
Still close to I-75, I-275

CONS:
Very poor development and traffic planning, not even close to being prepared for the years to come
Traffic through "old" Independence can snarl during rush hour
Part of Kenton County Public Schools which overall aren't great at all
For a city of 25,000, there are surprisingly NO big box retailers--have to drive to Ft. Wright or Florence

Walton
PROS:
Part of Walton-Verona Public Schools, some of the best in Kentucky
Kroger Marketplace opened there not too long ago
Very easy access to I-75 and I-71
Easier access to Louisville and Lexington for day trips
Lower property taxes than much of Greater Cincinnati

CONS:
The I-75 Walton/Verona exit is kind of a mess

Crittenden
PROS:
Nice, rural quietness
Small town feel
Extremely easy access to I-75
Easiest access to Louisville and Lexington for day trips

CONS:
Good ol' boy, corrupt Grant County government
Grant County Public Schools suck
Farthest from Cincinnati (1-1.5 hours to downtown during accidents and construction)

Of these options, I'd pick Walton. I also think Burlington, Hebron and Verona are veritable options as they are suburban areas that are still fairly rural in feel and are similar to Walton. Edgewood, Crestview Hills, Florence, and Elsmere are also good picks although they are older and/or more developed suburban areas closer to Cincinnati.

I'm really seeking to leave NKY and Kentucky now for a list of reasons I won't hash out (again) on this forum. NKY is still, in my opinion, the best of what Kentucky offers in terms of quality of life, but the people leave something to be desired. I'm seeing a few more people on C-D in recent months that don't like and haven't liked NKY, either, so this region isn't for everybody. As for the cross-river attitudes, NKY holds Cincy in contempt as much or more than the opposite; basically, if you want to live, work and play in Cincinnati, do it and don't care what anybody tells you.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:05 PM

Default Walton vs. Independence

Thank you so much for responding. You are exactly the person I need to talk to. We have been going back and forth about buying/renting in NKY. We need to stay here for about 5-6 years and then we can leave if we want to. I also think NKY is the best of KY. I have mixed feelings about the state and keep debating whether to make this a more permanent move or just rent and then leave.

I will look at your previous posts to see your feelings on the matter. The one person I know that lives in NKY feels as you do. It is just a matter of time before she leaves. If you have any other advice for me, I would welcome it!

I can't wait to read you posts.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:54 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,748,713 times
These aren't my threads although I do comment. These will give you some perspective, good, bad, humorous, and neutral, about Northern Kentucky.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...e-country.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...-kentucky.html (About Kentucky altogether rather than just NKY)
http://www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...i-finally.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...thern+kentucky
http://www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...thern+kentucky

Old 05-09-2011, 06:30 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,734,898 times
1. Cincinnati is not all of Ohio.

2. I, a lifetime Buckeye in Covington, know better than to say the word "Ohio" in front of some people. (The Ohio River is simply "The River.") But, most of Ohio does know various references to the hill folk, especially in places where they are something like 20% of the population.

3. I'm not sure there's any place else to go but Covington; but, I do want to be close to (EclecticEars, pay attention; it's something to refer to):

History of Aviation | Wright Brothers History | Invention | Aviation Heritage | National Heritage Area

That's all one link and it's about a ninety (90) mile stretch of ground each way -- north/south and east/west.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:10 AM

Thank you both for your input. I have a lot to think about. This has helped!
I have a lot of posts to read!

Old 05-19-2011, 05:46 PM

55 posts, read 154,791 times
Definitely Walton! Their schools are among the best in KY. I would much rather send my kids to Walton than to Piner or Simon Kenton High School. I know that Simon Kenton had some race riots back in the late 90's.
I lived in Walton from 1996-2000 and still have family there, and in my opinion, it is much easier to access Walton than Independence. Also, when I was looking into buying a house, you seem to get more for your money in Walton. I would also think homes would appreciate more in Walton, as I have seen the growth of the city since 1996.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky