U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 12:59 PM

10 posts, read 31,776 times

Advertisements

I lived in owensboro and In my opinion it's one of the most unsafest place I've lived. The crime is terrible, drugs are really bad there. I just moved from there about 6 months ago. The people are friendly and will talk it up but I can promise you it isn't the safest place to live. In the 4 months I lived there I was robbed, my son was jumped by 10 guys just because he was a newcomer to their park and they thought it'd be fun to jump him. My youngest daughter had to call me home from work because a man was trying to get in our home to get her. My son's car was vandalized mine was broken into. And we only lived there for 4 months in what was supposed to be one of the nicer areas in town to live. And thats just a small portion of what we went through. I was terrified more than i wasn't..I have never had to call the police in my life and I had to call them so many times there. I decided it was best to pack up and go back home to indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 05:23 PM

2,381 posts, read 7,767,037 times
I visited Owensboro a little over a year ago while making a trip through KY, OH and TN. The weekend I was there they had closed off a three block area of the downtown and had a weekend long party going on. I don't know how many thousands of people were there, but I was a bit surprised to see that many people. It turned out to be a good place to listen to some music and have some BBQ.
The one thing that I didn't like about the Owensboro is a big coal burning power plant just over a mile from the downtown area on the Ohio river, just as you cross the bridge into IN. I was surprised to see a large coal burning plant right next to a relatively large city. Too much risk of coal particle pollution living that close to a coal burning power plant. I know that nearly all electricity in the upper midwest comes from coal plants, but I would not want to live right next to one of those places. I'd prefer to keep at least 30 miles away.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:12 AM

86 posts, read 227,785 times
I travel everywhere and no city is perfect,judging a city by how many malls it has?i wonder how many small stores the city has.As to the coal plant,ive read that the people who live hundreds of miles away get the stuff that comes out of the stacks.people steal everywhere,and drugs have a bad effect even in small towns.im thinking of working for a company in the owensboro area and im trying to get a feel for the area.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,502 times
haha, some of you guys are crazy!

Owensboro is a great town if you're looking for a smaller town to live in. Regardless of what others may say here, it's growing (both residentially and commercially). There are dozens and dozens of new neighborhoods going up and new stores all over the place. They need to update some things (hotels mainly), but overall it isn't too bad.

You can't compare Owensboro to other rivertowns, or at least not the ones listed above. Obviously Louisville is going to have more to do and Northen Kentucky as well b/c of Cincinnati. The cost of living in those areas is ridiculous compared to Owensboro and the crime is 100x worse. A crime that makes the paper in Owensboro isn't even mentioned in Northern Kentucky. I lived there for 8 years and there are several areas you don't venture, especially after night. Owensboro has a few of these places, but we're talking blocks, not cities. Now compare it to Paducah and Henderson and we'll talk.

Owensboro isn't right for some people. But to say the crime is outrageous, it's an aging town, and there is nothing to do is wrong. Also, pray for the tornado victims of October 18th. Not nearly as bad as the one in 2000, however there is plenty of damage to clean up.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 8,161 times
Talking Excited!

Thanks so much Ashley87! I know I still have year to wait until I actually move, I'm getting VERY excited and wish I can move right now! lol Your information has made me feel so much better. The 2 best part? The fact I know my job outlook is good and the fact that it's got the "small town" feel. I can't wait! Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley87 View Post
s-r-smith83, if you're going into early childhood education, we have a million and one elementary schools. if you don't want an owensboro elementary school, they're also all over the place right outside of owensboro. in utica for example, which is about 7 minutes away, they're building a new elementary school right now. I'm from owensboro and I've lived in utica my entire life, you shouldn't have a problem finding a job here if you're in that field. that's the field i started out in and i planned to stay here because i knew i wouldn't have a problem finding a job.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:54 AM

14 posts, read 55,098 times
Default Owensboro Jobs

I had a telephone interview with a company called MPD in Owensboro a couple of years ago but they never bothered to call me back or return my calls, to let me know if I could come in for an interview. I can't really move first then hope to find a job. So I'm still stuck unemployed in Cleveland.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:22 PM

3 posts, read 11,206 times
Default Owensboro Jobs....are there any?

I am so glad I found this board and thread! I thought I was alone when it came to job frustrations here in Owensboro. My family moved here about a year ago bc my hubby got a job transfer. Right b4 we moved, someone who knew my husband asked if he already had a job lined up here. When he told him "yes," the guy said "oh that's good, bc you can't move to Owensboro and expect to "make it" if you don't already something set up." He went on to explain that he moved here a couple of years ago and had to move back to his hometown bc he never could find a job here. Well, I thought that wouldn't happen to me bc I am educated and have a degree. Hmph, boy was I wrong!!!!

My husband loves his job. I, on the other hand have been searching for a job since we got here and cannot find anything! It seems like everyone I talk to says the same thing: "if you want to do retail or factory work, this is the place to be. Otherwise, the job market is slim." Lately, I've also gotten the comment about "owensboro being full of 'old money' and if you don't fit into one of those cliques, you're never gonna find a GOOD job." Needless to say, the job market just seems to be bleak and now my husband is beginning to regret moving us here. We came from a city that's about 2 hours from here and although it had its ups and downs (every city does), it wasn't THIS hard for me to get a good paying job. Everyone we come in contact with is very nice, but its not quite enough to make us want to stay here. I gave up a really good job to move here and now I feel like I'm just stuck. I often think back to what that guy said to us and wish we would have just stayed where we were!!

Old 01-22-2008, 09:59 AM

145 posts, read 466,569 times
When i'm in town with my wife to visit the in-laws I will drive around sometimes and take it all in and it depresses me with the thought that this may soon be my new home. The town has a depressing feel to it...a worn out feel. That along with driving around and seeing factories, utility companies and smoke stacks everywhere makes you forget you are in a beautiful part of kentucky but instead you feel as if you are in a steel town in the midwest. The people are very friendly but resist change that could do a lot of good to the town. It is slowly getting more and more outdated and people that leave are coming back in smaller and smaller numbers. Not one of my wife's cousins that are her age have returned...they stayed in the towns they went to college in or moved elsewhere in part due to job availaility and in part due to the lack of ammenities that they have in their present locations. "Downtown" by the river is dead with half of the buildings falling apart or empty. The downtown should be considered where all of the development is just off Fredrica by the mall and target because at least it is a focal point where some new buisness and entertainment are. Downtown as it is now offers very little other than the occasional festival. I'm not trying to bash the town, it's just hard to see a town that once was great slowly fading away due to old beliefs. The E represents Owensboro perfectly....a once state of the art hotel which attracted all kinds of people to the city is now an obsolete run down place that is bankrupt and can't attract anyone to the town anymore....It needs to be updated just like the town.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,282 times
mooney8: I just stumbled upon your post. Sorry to hear you had such a poor experience. For fine clothing shopping next time you're here, check out the Earle for men's, and Excursion's for women's. My favorite restaurants are never the big chains, but the local spots: Famous Bistro is my favorite. Colby's on the corner of 3rd & Saint Ann has lots of charm & a great cobb salad. Briarpatch has the best steak in town. I think you'll like any of these 3!

Last edited by oborodiva; 03-09-2008 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-10-2008, 10:31 AM

4,824 posts, read 12,809,057 times
The problem with Owensboro is simply 21st century geography. It sits in the middle of everything, but so is the eye of the hurricane. Air travel should be great, but even Evansville can't hold good service because of the competition Louisville International offers.

No body uses rail anymore, even then Owensboro didn't have a good link to the north. While the river is commercially important, the lakes are much safer for skiing, etc.

And the interstate system just blew right by Owensboro. Heck, when the Western Kentucky Parkway was being built, Owensboro couldn't even pull a bend up placing the road just south of the Daviess-McLean County border.

So, if you want to raise your kids in one of the best places in the world, Owensboro is the place, but they won't want to stay. So there you are.

Owensboro should be the destination of choice for living, but....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky