U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 02:29 PM

13 posts, read 64,588 times

Advertisements

Hey,
Can anyone give me a comparison on these two towns. I'm looking for schools, crime, housing, family friendliness, etc, etc, etc. We are looking to relocate - hubby would commute to N Lexington for work. We prefer smaller towns and smaller schools. Thanks - Good day.
Laura
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 03:25 PM

4,824 posts, read 12,805,697 times
Call Karyn Keely at Coldwell Banker McMahan in Winchester KY. She's a great friend of mine and a very good down to earth Realtor. She has sold all around Winchester (Paris-Bourbon Co is to the N-NW and Mt-Sterling-Montgomery Co is E-NE of Winchester) I have an old toll free number of 888-744-4894 and her e-mail is Hunt4karyn@aol.com

Old 07-13-2007, 09:31 PM

14 posts, read 38,989 times
Try anyplace but Paris, if you were'nt born there you will always be considerd an outsider. I grew up in the county there and I was not even accepted as a native. Plus a lot of the poepol there are a little weird.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:12 PM

24 posts, read 420,965 times
That's funny. I live in cynthiana, which is 15 minutes away from Paris. I have family that live there. I was born here. I was reading about moving to Iowa on these boards and some people are saying the same thing you are about Paris. But I know for a fact it isn't true. The people are at least friendly because they are bored. I personally wouldn't live in Paris because there's nothing there and most of the youth in central Kentucky are LOST and get into drugs really bad. Again, there's nothing there. You would have to be willing to go to lexington to do anything. But Lexington is overpopulated and very very crowded together.

Paris is very boring, just like Cynthiana and no doubt has a mayor that doesn't believe in providing the community with opportunities for the youth. It's very easy to get sick of the place so I wouldn't recommend moving to central kentucky from anywhere else unless it's a really bad place.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:31 AM

323 posts, read 989,260 times
Well how depressing the other's outlooks show the wonderful areas of Kentucky.

Both towns have good and bad depending on your preferences. Paris has that very small town feel, and is very isolated feeling, while being within 15-20 minutes of Lexington. It has a very rural - Mayberry feel. I'm not as familiar with Mt. Sterling, but have heard very positive things about that town as well. It seems Mt. Sterling may offer more by way of jobs, but is also about the same commute time to Lexington, so this may not be an issue for you. Paris has a nice commute road that has been widened in the last few years, so is a great drive to Lex. Mt. Sterling sits right off I-64, so would be interstate commute and a nice easy drive as well.
I don't know anything about the schools in either towns, as I've lived in Lexington, Richmond, Danville, Berea and now Morehead, KY, but I haven't heard they were BAD either.
The opinion about "nothing to do" in these towns are true, BUT that's the exact reasons you have the small town, low-crime, lower housing prices than the "bigger cities". Along with the amenities, seems everything else tends to go downhill accordingly. If your idea of happiness is living in a "Mayberry" atmosphere, then I think you will just love either place. (Remembering Mt. Sterling is probably more comparable to Winchester than Paris), but both great towns in their own rights!
Hope any of this is helpful. Good luck with your move

Old 07-18-2007, 10:17 AM

13 posts, read 64,588 times
Default Thanks Desiree253

Wow,
Thanks for a different perspective. I was beginning to wonder the problem was with the other posts. We, in fact, are looking for a small town atmostphere. We are very low key people that enjoy small town life..peaceful is what we call it. I appreciate your thoughts as well as the other side of the opinions as well. Thanks everyone.
Laura
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky