Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:00 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times

Advertisements

I'm glad people like Northern KY that means there is more land for me in Western KY. I'll take the lakes, rivers, streams and large tracks of woods over urban sprawl any day. So everybody move to Northern KY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 07:46 AM

145 posts, read 518,427 times
With the lakes, rivers, streams and large tracks of woods you can also take to isolation, the high taxes, the sub par education and the satisfaction that you live in the "siberia" of kentucky. You are not close to anythng and as a result Paducha is what everyone relies on there for medical care amongst other things. I am all for country living but not when I have to drive two hours at least to get to a decent hospital or airport. For the record...drive to boone or campbell county and you will find plenty of areas that are "country" but the beauty is you get that lifestyle while only being twenty minutes away from malls, an international airport, wonderful schools etc. I am all for western kentucky and those who love it there then to each there own but when it comes to an overall quality of life northen kentucky gives more options.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:57 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1 View Post
With the lakes, rivers, streams and large tracks of woods you can also take to isolation, the high taxes, the sub par education and the satisfaction that you live in the "siberia" of kentucky. You are not close to anythng and as a result Paducha is what everyone relies on there for medical care amongst other things. I am all for country living but not when I have to drive two hours at least to get to a decent hospital or airport. For the record...drive to boone or campbell county and you will find plenty of areas that are "country" but the beauty is you get that lifestyle while only being twenty minutes away from malls, an international airport, wonderful schools etc. I am all for western kentucky and those who love it there then to each there own but when it comes to an overall quality of life northen kentucky gives more options.
High taxes -- no we have fairly low taxes where I'm at.
Sub-Par education ...get educated, my kids school was a national gold medal school, one of few in the state (and zero in NKY) and the county schools rank amongst the highest in the state.
There are more places to shop than at 'the mall' (gag), as some of us do most of our shopping on line, quicker, cheaper, and come right to my door and I don't have to find a parking place. Not to mention waste gas getting there.
I have little need for a international airport ... if I recall NKY "international" airport only goes to Canada. Besides, what good is an airport if most of the flights are canceled? If I need a fight somewhere, Memphis is just a commuter fight away something rarely need.
Hospitals, there are plenty of them here, but being that I haven't needed a Doctor for anything more than a checkup I know little about them.
As far as option go, what is your options may not be the options of others, as I said glad so many like NKY it leaves more room for me in WKY.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:30 AM

145 posts, read 518,427 times
Look again at the airport....It goes to a lot more places than canada....Try London, Paris, Rome, Spain....half of Europe..etc...Mexico. As far as the gold medal school...try looking up what it takes to be a blue ribbon school, then check and see how many are in NKY. I passed two just the other day with banners up addressing that. I am glad you are healthy, so am I but it makes me feel better knowing I won't have to be helicoptered anywhere if anything serious happens to me. As far as shopping online, I prefer to get out and about not be stuck in my house so that doesn't appeal to me at all. Another thing about the airport, most of the flights aren't cancled..you are thinking about american airlines which is hubed in Texas, Delta is the major Hub out of NKY. Memphis is a hub for fedex...good luck getting on a flight with them unless you mail yourself..

Old 04-24-2008, 06:42 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1 View Post
I'm with you, sandman. WKY is not a bad place, just a desolate place. NKY offers so much more of...everything!

Old 04-26-2008, 05:46 PM

137 posts, read 448,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
High taxes -- no we have fairly low taxes where I'm at.
Sub-Par education ...get educated, my kids school was a national gold medal school, one of few in the state (and zero in NKY) and the county schools rank amongst the highest in the state.
There are more places to shop than at 'the mall' (gag), as some of us do most of our shopping on line, quicker, cheaper, and come right to my door and I don't have to find a parking place. Not to mention waste gas getting there.
I have little need for a international airport ... if I recall NKY "international" airport only goes to Canada. Besides, what good is an airport if most of the flights are canceled? If I need a fight somewhere, Memphis is just a commuter fight away something rarely need.
Hospitals, there are plenty of them here, but being that I haven't needed a Doctor for anything more than a checkup I know little about them.
As far as option go, what is your options may not be the options of others, as I said glad so many like NKY it leaves more room for me in WKY.
Actually, Northern Kentucky does have nonstop flights daily to Amsterdam, Frankfort, London, Paris and Rome so it is indeed an International Airport and is the only airport in the state to have nonstop international flights: http://www.cvgairport.com/Airline_An...ere_We_Fly.pdf. CVG aiport has 470 fights daily to more than 120 cities nonstop. Actually, it is a very busy airport and flights are not often cancelled, my sister use to work for American Airlines. You might want to try Northern Kentucky International Airport sometime. Who knows, you might find that you like our airport! You should also come up here sometime, you might find it is not as bad as you think. Take care! I am looking forward to vacationing in WKY, it sounds beautiful!!!

Last edited by Kentuckyguy; 04-26-2008 at 05:56 PM..

Old 06-09-2008, 08:46 AM

22 posts, read 80,796 times
You guys are cracking me up. The original poster, who is from Alababma, asked which area (NKY or WKY-Owensboro) would be better considering the school systems, the overall expression of the people, and where he could get a house for 400-500K in a good neighborhood. You guys started arguing over colleges and airports and so on.

So to compare:
Schools: Either area would be fine considering schools. Daviess County has some of the best schools in the state of Kentucky. Depending where you are located in NKY, there are some good schools there too. A good website to compare schools in Kentucky or any state is Schooldigger.com -- Search and compare elementary, middle, and high schools.

Expression of people:
I believe that Owensboro is very friendly, it is hard to drive down a street without the neighbors waving at you. It has a more southern feel than NKY and you are from Alabama. NKY has a more midwestern feel and NKY could be considered part of Ohio instead of Kentucky.

Housing:
You can easily find a house in either area for the amount of money you want to spend, but your dollar would go farther in Western Kentucky. The cost of living in NKY is much more than WKY.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:48 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Haley, that's how a lot of these people are. Somebody will ask something about living near Paducah, Murray, or the rest of the unknown part of the state west of I-65, and there will be 3 or 4 who will start talking about somewhere not even in the same part of the state! You need a good hospital? Besides Paducah you can go to Mayfield, Murray, Hopkinsville, Madisonville, Henderson and Owensboro. I'm not saying those are the only good ones, just the only ones I've had any dealings with.
Isolation? Never seen any of that around here. What I have seen is a quiet rural way of living. Some people like it, some don't. We're just laid back and may not rush around like other parts of the state. I was born and raised around the Mayfield/Murray area, lived almost 30 years around Morganfield (Union County) and now I'm retired and living in Cadiz.I wouldn't hesitate to move back to any of those. If you like a busier lifestyle, more power to you! I don't knock your way of life, don't knock mine! I can't say anything about life in another part of Kentucky because I haven't spent enough time there.
Piper, if you haven't given up on this thread yet, my wife and I just bought a house in Cadiz. That's about 10 miles from Lake Barkley and about 20 from Hopkinsville. Three bedroom, 2 bath, 1018 sq. ft. on an acre lot, for $72,000. Not one of the nicest neighborhoods, but nowhere near the worst!
Whichever part of the state you go to I just have one thing to say. Welcome to Kentucky!

Anybody seen the steps to get off this soapbox? lol

Old 06-09-2008, 10:33 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,241 times
I don't buy the marketing hype of the area hospitals. Anyone with a life threatening illness or injury, ends up in Nashville or St. Louis.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:44 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyguy View Post
Actually, Northern Kentucky does have nonstop flights daily to Amsterdam, Frankfort, London, Paris and Rome so it is indeed an International Airport and is the only airport in the state to have nonstop international flights: http://www.cvgairport.com/Airline_An...ere_We_Fly.pdf. CVG aiport has 470 fights daily to more than 120 cities nonstop. Actually, it is a very busy airport and flights are not often cancelled, my sister use to work for American Airlines. You might want to try Northern Kentucky International Airport sometime. Who knows, you might find that you like our airport! You should also come up here sometime, you might find it is not as bad as you think. Take care! I am looking forward to vacationing in WKY, it sounds beautiful!!!
You are right on. The Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky airport is a big hub for Delta Air Lines and as such offers several non-stop flights to Europe. The $64,000 question, however, is whether or not Delta will keep its hub there if/when it merges with Northwest which has a HUGE hub in Detroit and a brand new terminal in Detroit they're still paying for. While Delta insists CVG won't be affected, some in the industry don't see how that would be possible since the whole purpose behind the merger is to streamline operations and reduce redundancies.

But for now at least, the whole Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky region is blessed to have such a nice, busy airport. I've used it many times and have always enjoyed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky