U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 01:29 PM

323 posts, read 989,404 times

Advertisements

Hi Kichenwich

I just want to say... nothing against Richmond or anything... but I've lived in Richmond, Danville and Lexington... it all depends on what you want Goingreene but I just got sad that in the past 15 years, Richmond has just gone a bit downhill for my taste. [However I married into a Richmond family with a horrible reputation, albeit deserved! So that may be my current aversion to that town!] LOLOLOL

I do however still love the Berea area (which has cheaper rentals too) and a great artsy college. It also seems to have way more trees and hills than Richmond area.

Danville is just like a small, very quiet town, sort of isolated (which was very nice in my book!) and has cheaper cost of living than Richmond as well as a good college from what I've heard. The commute to Richmond was a very windy, dangerous 2 lane road, that took about 45 minutes commute time.

Don't count Winchester out either GoingGreene it's a nice town, with that Mayberry type feel, but more amenities than a truly small town, and is within very easy driving distance to Richmond for EKU or to Lexington for UK, since it sits right on I-64, and has a back road to Richmond! If I ever have to move back to Lexington for my job, I've already decided Winchester is where I'll live.

Nicholasville... hrmmm.. just my opinion... not a bad town per se.. just seems.. uuuhhh maybe dirtier? more run-down looking? Bad commute to Lexington during rush hour both a.m. and p.m. as well. I don't want to offend anyone that lives there.. it's probably an "okay" town, just don't have a great impression of it, and my sister lived there with her kids and hated the schools there. Someone else may have a different impression and experience there.

Hope you take this with a grain of salt and truly derive your own impressions of the towns you mentioned... one man's trash is another man's treasure..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 06:57 PM

7 posts, read 20,245 times
I've been told Berea is beautiful and has all those things you want that's good. My daughter wanted to live in Lex. for yrs. When she finally moved she hated it. She said except for the scenery everything needed serious work to make right.
Like most states there are income taxes and they are high.
Depending on the city, the job & union status construction jobs can run anywhere from $6-$20. an hr.
There's usually a good amt. of snow in the winter months. But nothing like it used to be. But we have gorgeous autumns. Yes, you can find belly dancing classes. The Ys have them as do some individuals & dance cos.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:28 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,660,784 times
Thanks, Propaganda for the info. I didn't realize Ky had unions! Is that a good thing or a bad thing? ( I hope I am not opening a can of worms!)

Also, are there car inspections?

Old 07-21-2007, 08:02 AM

190 posts, read 747,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiree253 View Post
Hi Kichenwich

I just want to say... nothing against Richmond or anything... but I've lived in Richmond, Danville and Lexington... it all depends on what you want

I honestly feel Richmond has picked up over the last 5-7 years! With all the new businesses, housing, etc. the town is growing so fast.

I do however still love the Berea area (which has cheaper rentals too) and a great artsy college. It also seems to have way more trees and hills than Richmond area.

I agree about Berea! Love the small town, and my kids go to school there!

Danville is just like a small, very quiet town, sort of isolated (which was very nice in my book!) and has cheaper cost of living than Richmond as well as a good college from what I've heard. The commute to Richmond was a very windy, dangerous 2 lane road, that took about 45 minutes commute time.

You haven't been on the new 52 bypass, then! It's great! Cuts off about 20 minutes, and bypasses Lancaster Road (1295) that twisty old road. Now there's a nice, straight 2 lane highway from Richmond to Lancaster

Don't count Winchester out either GoingGreene it's a nice town, with that Mayberry type feel, but more amenities than a truly small town, and is within very easy driving distance to Richmond for EKU or to Lexington for UK, since it sits right on I-64, and has a back road to Richmond! If I ever have to move back to Lexington for my job, I've already decided Winchester is where I'll live.

We actually have family in the Winchester area. According to them, the most growth in that area is liquor stores! Please, both of you, check it out closely, as I would hate for my new friends to be disappointed.

Nicholasville... hrmmm.. just my opinion... not a bad town per se.. just seems.. uuuhhh maybe dirtier? more run-down looking? Bad commute to Lexington during rush hour both a.m. and p.m. as well. I don't want to offend anyone that lives there.. it's probably an "okay" town, just don't have a great impression of it, and my sister lived there with her kids and hated the schools there. Someone else may have a different impression and experience there.
Agreed, except when you go out around Wilmore. Lovely area, very "country", stone fences and horse farms abound. The views takes your breath away!

Hope you take this with a grain of salt and truly derive your own impressions of the towns you mentioned... one man's trash is another man's treasure..
Have to say, I agree with you on MOST things. It's best a person visit an area before making a huge decision. Oh, p.m. Suncoastman, a newly transplanted Floridian who LOVES the area around here, but ended up in Jackson County! He's done more research on the surrounding counties than anyone I know.

~joanna~

Old 07-22-2007, 10:09 PM

10 posts, read 27,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiree253 View Post
Just because we didn't choose to address the "per capita drug rate and covert crime" does NOT mean we are "cleverly ignoring" it. I personally think you are wrong as well in the statement that there are those who are "not directly affected by it". Are you kidding???... I don't know a SOUL in America.. not ONE.. who HASN'T been affected by drug use in some way, or by someone they love... How naive..

I really don't think Kentucky has a higher drug rate, or "covert crime" rate than any other state. Sadly these are all too common problems plagueing AMERICA... EVERY STATE... EVERY TOWN... EVERY CITY... not just Kentucky! It's a sad fact of our generation/society today that they are such common ailments everywhere that we don't THINK to mention them.. it wouldn't be like the reader of these posts are going to be "like wow dude, we don't have a drug problem in the city I live in! I'm going to avoid that drug-riddled Kentucky!"
On the positive side... I DO however think this is the first time I've heard someone say that somewhere in CENTRAL KY is drug riddled!!! Usually it's us Eastern Kentucky folk who bear the brunt of THAT stereotype!

I also think the folks that are artisans.. and have been for GENERATIONS.. might take exception to your description of Kentucky folk who don't live in Lexington or Louisville as being "artistically antiquated". HAH!
Whew, something else I've found here is a an overly defensive attitude. My original post was not intended to be offensive. However, are you not aware that news commentator Paul Harvey, circa 2000 stated, "If you want to commit murder and get away with it (depending on who you know, of course), then go to Adair County, Kentucky!?" I do not think that nationally broadcast statement was made without some empirical data in which to back it. I only know that I live -- for a short period longer -- in a county that determines justice based on one's identity and connections. It is quite scary.

It is your business, and your choice, to share your opinion of where you live on this forum, just as it is mine. Hence, I do not intend to involve myself in an internet banter in defense of my opinion. Therefore, I would appreciate not being directly attacked by verbal insults such as being called "naive."

True, there are open-minded and artistically gifted individuals throughout the state, several within this very county. I only know that most folks who do not fit the cookie cutter mold here are referred to with the shallow adjective "weird." These gifted individuals are not moved by tunnel vision, but some people choosing to move here from somewhere else just might be.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:25 PM

4 posts, read 6,943 times
i fully agree with you Desiree 253, about ky's crime rate one of the lowest in the us. just because some idiot make a stupid remark, well,that doesn't make it true.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:25 PM

10 posts, read 27,859 times
Default Name Calling?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowimsouthern View Post
i fully agree with you Desiree 253, about ky's crime rate one of the lowest in the us. just because some idiot make a stupid remark, well,that doesn't make it true.
Well, at least Desiree 253 had the panache to respond with intelligent argument instead of name calling, (other than the "naive" comment.) Your response is an excellent example of the typical attitude here; it speaks for itself.

Furthermore, the crime rate is most likely not reported accurately. I imagine the stats just report the poor souls who didn't have the right cronies to get out of the crime...

Old 07-24-2007, 04:51 AM

190 posts, read 747,240 times
I thought wowimsouthern was referring to Paul Harvey as the idiot making the stupid remark........which I agree with. Just because he said that you can get away with crime from a certain area does not make it true! He has to make some type of controversial remarks or no one would listen to his radio show!
If we seem defensive, then I apologize. For so many years Kentuckians have been stigmatized as hillbillies, hicks, and now pill-making-meth-heads, that it makes us defensive. I'm sure there are people in the state that ARE these negative things. However, I honestly feel there are more people like myself than these fools.

All the best,
~joanna~

Old 07-26-2007, 07:04 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,660,784 times
Hey again!

I have found a couple different homes and was hoping ya'll could help. One in Cynthiana, one in Danville, one in Lawrenceburg, one in Nicholasville and one in Winchester. Which would ya'll go with considering schools, etc. I will be communiting to UKY, so I need to keep that in mind too. However, I would drive a little further if it meant a better school for the kids.

Thanks again for all your help!

Old 07-27-2007, 12:58 PM

323 posts, read 989,404 times
My daughter went to an elementary in Danville and had great teachers and education.

No experience with the others mentioned. Commute time from Danville might be a bit longer than some others you mentioned, but it is a great little quiet town, with a very relaxed atmosphere and small town friendliness.

Just my .02 cents, but I personally would choose between Danville or Winchester
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or