Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 09:46 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,861 times

Advertisements

1) Does Ky have state income tax?

2) What is the best city (school,crime, property prices, shopping,etc) that is within 45 minutes or so, of both Richmond and Lexington? Where should we stay away from?

3) Anyone know what a guy with about 7 years experience in construction (not a contractor) would make on average ? (Ballpark is fine)

4) How much snow does this general area get? I love snow! So the more the better.

5) I have always wanted to learn to bellydance , has anyone heard of any local classes?

I have a million questions, but won't bother ya'll with them all right now. Thank you so much for all your input!! I truly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 12:40 AM

5 posts, read 18,689 times
I dont live there anymore but London, Ky is a little south of Richmond and is pretty nice.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:51 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
1) Does Ky have state income tax?
YES

Quote:
2) What is the best city (school,crime, property prices, shopping,etc) that is within 45 minutes or so, of both Richmond and Lexington? Where should we stay away from?
I'm in the west I differ to the central KY folks.

Quote:
3) Anyone know what a guy with about 7 years experience in construction (not a contractor) would make on average ? (Ballpark is fine)
Varies based on who you work for and you skill level, training, leadership (can you head a crew) different areas of the state pays different amounts. Ballpark $12-$17/hr some higher some lower. You're not going to get rich, but you're not going to starve either.

Quote:
4) How much snow does this general area get? I love snow! So the more the better.
Not much, on rare occasion we'll get a heavy snow rarely last long though. You want snow you need to go further north. Central KY and Eastern get far much more then the far western end, in my area we had less than a inch this past season. 3 years ago we got 27" in 2 day and 7 days later it was in the low 70's that's KY.

Quote:
5) I have always wanted to learn to bellydance , has anyone heard of any local classes?
No, but your free to practice at my house.

Quote:
I have a million questions, but won't bother ya'll with them all right now. Thank you so much for all your input!! I truly appreciate it!
No problem.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:32 AM

688 posts, read 3,037,894 times
Hi Happee!

Are you looking for a city or a smaller town/more rural area? I recommend Lexington itself if you want more of a metro area. It has some great schools, nice neighborhoods that range from historic mansions to new suburban construction, decent shopping and restaurants, and some arts and cultural offerings. Lexington has merged with Fayette County so the entire county, from the urban downtown to the suburban neighborhoods and malls, to the outlying farms, are all considered simply part of Lexington. I don't really know much about Richmond, though I know it is a smaller town than Lexington if you prefer that.

If you're looking for a smaller town, there are several of those as well.

As far as snow goes, Central KY will get the occasional flurries that are pretty but never accumulate. There is also usually one or two larger snowfalls that leave a couple of inches on the ground for a day or two and send kids out furiously trying to make use their sleds. Also, I guess that every few years there is a "big storm" that dumps more than 3-4 inches. Unfortunately, though, when there are several inches on the ground most of the towns shut down - they don't have the methods to deal with it like northern cities. Local schools are frequently closed for smaller snowstorms, and sometimes even the forecast of snow. So, there is snow but nothing like areas more to the north. Having moved here from the "snow belt" of NE Ohio, NW PA, and western NY, I miss it a little.

And yes, there are several bellydancing lessons offered around the Lexington area. One of my personal favorites is through MECCA: A Live Studio & Gallery who also has a great performing troupe of tribal-style bellydance.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:46 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,861 times
Thanks for the responses!

I've heard several people say that Lexington is a great city...but how about crime? Is it bad?

On paper, Winchester, Nicholasville, Danville, Paris, Georgetown and Versailles all look really good. Do you have a favorite? We would be moving from a very small NC town, where the high school, literally has less that 500 kids, so my kids are freaking out at the prospect of a school that's too big. BUt I am SO ready for actual restaurants and shopping!! All we have here is Walmart and the typical fast food. However, I never lock my doors and never lose my keys because I leave them in the ignition. I guess I'm worried about going to the other extreme.

Also, thanks for the belly dancing site. I can't wait to learn!! It really looks like fun! Although, I think if I tried now, people would probably run screaming from the room. haha

Old 07-16-2007, 09:45 AM

329 posts, read 1,099,135 times
From what you mentioned... about the lowest crime areas, and places where people still don't lock their doors and feel perfectly safe (plus much smaller schools too!!!) I would personally look at Danville, Paris or Versailles. Out of those three.... Danville and Paris are the more "isolated", as Versailles is very near I-64 access, but they all have about equal driving distance. All are lovely towns.. Danville being very historic and friendly, Paris being even smaller, "mayberry" type town, and versailles being "quaint".
At least you can rest assured that your lifestyle in those towns might be more akin to what you're used to in the small town you are from, and the people in Kentucky - even more so in the smaller towns - can be extremely friendly and welcoming! Your kids might like it more than they like their current schools. Lexington, for the size, has a much lower crime rate than big cities, but if you are used to leaving your keys in your car and having small schools... my personal recommendation to you, from personal experience, would be to choose one of the three towns you mentioned and I addressed. Richmond unfortunately is booming in growth in the last decade and is bringing with it, all the down sides of growth. I wouldn't recommend there... however, you might also want to include Berea in your area of interest. Will give you the small town feel, the low crime, the friendly people, is on I-75 for an easy commute to Lexington, has a GREAT college and is an "artsy" town with low cost of living, low crime and sits in a beautiful area with more trees, etc, than the other towns mentioned (they have more rolling farm-land type country).
Hope any of this helps!

Old 07-17-2007, 08:23 AM

10 posts, read 32,540 times
Sometimes I think I must be living in a different Kentucky than some of the other members of this website!

The per capita drug rate and covert crime rate in south central Kentucky is worse than ANYWHERE I have ever lived. It is just cleverly "ignored" by those who are not directly affected by it.

The positive aspects of the state include the beautiful countrysides, lakes, agricultural progress, and changes in climate (weather changes almost daily). Hence, Kentucky lovers, please do not accuse me of posting only negative information....

If you are a bellydancer (I think that is great!), make sure you choose an area that has progressed from much of their antiquated wariness of art. Lexington or Louisville probably would be much more open-minded.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:19 AM

9 posts, read 30,990 times
I suggest Frankfort very strongly. About 30,000 people, wonderful schools(public and private), a really nice downtown area, and alow crime rate. My husband and I have lived here with our 6 year old for going on 7 years, and have no complaints. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about it here.....PM me, if you'd like!

Old 07-17-2007, 11:34 AM

728 posts, read 1,675,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xena Dancer View Post
Sometimes I think I must be living in a different Kentucky than some of the other members of this website!

The per capita drug rate and covert crime rate in south central Kentucky is worse than ANYWHERE I have ever lived. It is just cleverly "ignored" by those who are not directly affected by it.

The positive aspects of the state include the beautiful countrysides, lakes, agricultural progress, and changes in climate (weather changes almost daily). Hence, Kentucky lovers, please do not accuse me of posting only negative information....

If you are a bellydancer (I think that is great!), make sure you choose an area that has progressed from much of their antiquated wariness of art. Lexington or Louisville probably would be much more open-minded.
I'm not sure where you got the notion that Southcentral KY has a high crime rate. Also, I grew up in Louisville, went to school at UofL and so on, and i consider Louisville my true home. However, to be truthful, I feel safer in Laurel/Pulaski counties than I do in some parts of Jefferson county. I can speak from experience on that one, because someone tried to break into an apartment that I rented in Lyndon...which is on Louisville's east end. Also, despite being a Lville native, I've never had a problem with the folks down here. I've always felt comfortable, and that's even when I'm wearing my UofL Orange Bowl Tshirt.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:58 AM

329 posts, read 1,099,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xena Dancer View Post
Just because we didn't choose to address the "per capita drug rate and covert crime" does NOT mean we are "cleverly ignoring" it. I personally think you are wrong as well in the statement that there are those who are "not directly affected by it". Are you kidding???... I don't know a SOUL in America.. not ONE.. who HASN'T been affected by drug use in some way, or by someone they love... How naive..

I really don't think Kentucky has a higher drug rate, or "covert crime" rate than any other state. Sadly these are all too common problems plagueing AMERICA... EVERY STATE... EVERY TOWN... EVERY CITY... not just Kentucky! It's a sad fact of our generation/society today that they are such common ailments everywhere that we don't THINK to mention them.. it wouldn't be like the reader of these posts are going to be "like wow dude, we don't have a drug problem in the city I live in! I'm going to avoid that drug-riddled Kentucky!"
On the positive side... I DO however think this is the first time I've heard someone say that somewhere in CENTRAL KY is drug riddled!!! Usually it's us Eastern Kentucky folk who bear the brunt of THAT stereotype!

I also think the folks that are artisans.. and have been for GENERATIONS.. might take exception to your description of Kentucky folk who don't live in Lexington or Louisville as being "artistically antiquated". HAH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky