U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2007, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 7,056 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am new here to the site. And i will be new to Paducah soon. I was wondering if any one could tell me about the town. I hear that there are "good" areas and "bad" areas of town. Can any one explain that to me. What could be so bad about Kentucky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 05:16 PM

1,833 posts, read 5,875,387 times
Paducah is a decent town as with any towns there are some areas you may not what to go to, those areas are kind of obvious when you see them, urban decay, drugs and such. Even with no one on the street you can just tell this is a bad location. However the vast majority of the area is really very nice even in the intercity ares, such as they are, many of the poorer intercity neighborhood are very nice and friendly. Where you want to be really depends on with you want, city, county, burbs and your budget etc. There are many areas that fit nearly everyones needs in housing.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:13 AM

14 posts, read 41,464 times
Moving to Paducah? LOL Bless your heart! :}
Where are you moving from? If it is a bigger city, be prepared for a much smaller one! Though Paducah is a fair sized town, it retains small town charms. I moved to Paducah when I was in high school from Louisville and I cried myself to sleep for weeks! But I was a teen, didn't want to leave the city I grew up in, and I missed my friends.
I did grow to love Paducah. I still love to visit though the Army keeps me away. My Mom still lives there and she really loves it. She grew up there.
I don't know how much research you have about Paducah, so I will start with hospitals~ since it says you are a nursing student. There are two hospitals. Lourdes and Western Baptist. Everyone has a favorite, they are both nice enough, however since my Aunt works at Western Baptist~ If ever I am in a pinch and need the ER when I visit my relatives, this is the one I go to. It is located downtown. Lourdes is closer to I-24 and is in the direction of Lone Oak, a smaller almost 'burb of Paducah.
I can only guess that you know that there IS a college in Paducah. It used to be called PCC~ Pad. Community College~ but I think they have changed the name. I don't know what to, to be honest. I know it has always been associated with University of Kentucky, I think they made it where a 4 yr could be reached in certain fields. Either way, it's a pretty good school. Or~ I liked it way back in the day, anyhow! There and MSU. (Murray State)
With that said, there are several really nice old houses in the downtown of Paducah. They look Victorian to me. They have restored many parts of the historical town, each time I go back, I am amazed with how nice the downtown looks. Granted~ it has a lot of dead space~ but it IS really pretty! LOL
Don't know how you feel about quilts, but Paducah is the Quilter Captial! LOL Every April the town is running over the edges with quilters! There is a museum and everything. Really, it's a rather facinating art, but sometimes these lil ladies can be downright mean. Not to mention, they can't drive. (sorry, ladies, if you're reading this and disagreeing!LOL) One cannot get a hotel/motel room in town for that time frame either. SO~ if you are wanting to move there, be SURE not to do it in late April! LOL Unless you are moving directly into a house!
As for 'Good' or 'bad' parts of Paducah, there really aren't any 'TERRIBLE' parts. Or... at least not as far as I know anyhow. I personally always was fond of Lone Oak, Heath, and Reidland. Those areas tend to be more spread out, the houses aren't on top of each other, and they have the best schools for children. County schools outscore city schools~ period. My Mom is a teacher for a county elementry called Concord, she has been there about 18 years so I guess I am biased, and I graduated from Lone Oak High. The South side of town has a rough reputation. I have had friends who did live in that direction, but mostly that side of town is known for bars, trailer parks, and The House of Dogs (Dolls~ ***** bars). I stayed clear of that part of town on a whole. I think that there have been improvements over on that side of town. It does have some nice stores and a super walmart. Though I prefer the walmart toward Heath, near the Mall.
There is an unseen line around the mall area which is by I-24. You will get off 24 as you were heading to IL and turn left. Left takes you passed the Kentucky Oaks Mall. (It's a nice one, too) After you pass the mall, the movie theaters, the shopping sections, and to your left~ Concord Elementry~ you are entering Concord/Heath. It is a nice area. The houses are usually well maintained, the side streets are narrow but usually you don't have much traffic. If you continue down that road, you will go into West Paducah which is a little costly but nice. The airport is also down this road.
If you had taken a right at that section, you would head toward downtown. Part is nice, part is not. It won't take long to figure out what section is which! LOL The houses are more run down, the yards unkept. The schools? Meh...
If off of 24 you take exit 7, you can go to Lone Oak. It is nice, usually quiet. The houses are nice, yards maintained and BIGGER than in the city.
I guess alot depends on what kind of house you want or if you want to rent. If you have kids or not. If it is just you, or you and a mate. *shrugs* I don't think there is anything wrong with KY. I grew up there. Totally depends on what you are looking for, to be honest. Most of my family still live in KY. Most in Paducah! LOL
I could probably answer any questions you might have about it if you'd like. I will reply to the thread should you post any of them. Okay? Hope I have helped.
Good luck with your move. I am sure you will find your niche. ~ Jessi~

Old 08-13-2007, 01:17 PM

389 posts, read 1,505,680 times
Paducah chamber of commerce has a nice dvd out about their city and best part its free!!it has lots of info on it check it out!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky