Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:54 AM

157 posts, read 475,207 times

Advertisements

Even though I only lived in Kentucky a couple years and now I'm in New Albany, I still love Kentucky. All the time we've lived here I've wanted to take a short vacation to another part of the state, but we didn't have the money or we spent it on stupid stuff. In early 2009 I went out to Eastern Kentucky for my job and I really liked the scenery there. I just have the image of the mountainsides in my mind and I want to go back. I would like to show my husband a part of Kentucky that isn't like Louisville's geography (somewhere with lakes, hills, mountains, etc.). Where would be a fun place to stay for a 3 day/2 night trip that we can take in scenery and culture of Kentucky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 05:46 AM

11,082 posts, read 17,525,111 times
We don't have the mountains you want to see but I can help you on the lakes part.

Here's a list of sites and attractions from the state's web site. Kentucky.gov: Sites & Attractions
I live in western Kentucky and you might want to drive down and check out the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area. Land Between The Lakes This is a 170,000 acre area with no stores, houses, nothing but things about nature. This is between Kentucky Lake, which is the largest man made lake east of the Mississippi River, and Lake Barkley. There's plenty of fishing, boating, hiking (over 200 miles of trails and abandoned roads), biking, camping, etc. There's a lot to see and do in the lakes area, not just in the LBL, for free or almost free. If you like antiques downtown Cadiz has 6 antique shops on Main Street and on 641 west of Ky. Dam, there is a huge antique shop. If you golf, both state parks have nice golf courses. I believe you could comedown here and find plenty to do in 3 days and 2 nights plus some.
Wherever you go, have a fun and safe trip!

Old 01-14-2011, 06:54 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,477,811 times
Google BUCKHORN LAKE STATE PARK KENTUCKY. Magnificent place! The lodge is affordable.The fishing is really good and the scenery is beautiful. The people both at the lodge and surrounding area were helpful no matter what we needed. Good luck in your search.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:59 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,085 times
Here's a second to kygman's suggestion of Land Between the Lakes. Just gorgeous down there. Maybe a road trip to include Mammoth Cave?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:33 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,887,312 times
Natural Bridge State Resort Park might be just the ticket, located adjacent to the Red River Gorge and its abundance of natural arches, and only about an hour and a half from Lexington and the Bluegrass. You could stay in either Lexington or Winchester and make a day trip to this beautiful mountainous area, taking a picnic or dining at Hemlock Lodge's dining room and allowing time to make the Gorge loop drive with some short hikes (walks, really) to the small but excellent museum at Gladie, Sky Bridge (also good picnic ground here), Angel Windows, Chimney Top Rock and Princess Arch, etc., or you could stay in the park's Hemlock Lodge or a park cabin and see more: Whittleton Arch, Gray's Arch, Rockbridge, etc. A little checking will reveal lots of photos of the Gorge area online.

Late April is the best time to see the beautiful, varied, and abundant spring wildflowers (along with redbud, dogwood, sarvis, etc), and there are usually wildflower walks sponsored by the park at this time. Mountain Laurel blooms later, in early June, and is also quite lovely, with the rosebay rhododendron blooming in mid to late June and into early July in areas of deep shade. The state park offers outdoor weekend square dancing during the warmer months, and there's also a large swimming pool, lots of trails, a skylift to Natural Bridge, and more. Various outfitters offer canoe trips on the
Red River, and fall colors are spectacular in the mountains.

The park's lodge and cabins fill up fast, so if this interests you, contact them right away. If they're filled, don't despair - again, the Gorge area isn't far from Central Kentucky and an early start will get you there well before midmorning, with lots of time to enjoy this spectacularly beautiful area.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:42 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,460,386 times
Places I'd recommend, listed from SE to NW. (You could drive down to Cumberland Gap and work your way back with these stops.

1. Kingdom Come State Park, great place for bear watching, Fish and Game estimates there are at least 23 bears in the park. Summit offers great views of KY's highest point, Black Mountain

2. Elk watching tour. Kentucky's elk are so numerous that Fish and Game now offers elk sight seeing tours at 3 states parks. It cost $25 per person, $15 per child at Pine Mountain SP, Buckhorn SP has a $150 package that includes the tour, one night's lodging, and breakfast (plus transport from lodge to elk)

Kentucky State Parks - Elk Tours 2010 (http://parks.ky.gov/elk-tours-2010.htm - broken link)

3. Cumberland Falls. Should be a National Park, one of only two vertical fall waterfalls for a major river in North America - the other being Niagara. If you like hiking the Sheltowee Trace National Trail goes through the park. It is free

4. Big South Fork Scenic Railroad. Been on it several times since I was a child - a really awesome experience each time! Vintage train takes you several miles back to an old mining camp through spectacular scenery. Costs $18 per person round trip
Big South Fork Scenic Railway - Home Page

5. The before mentioned Natural Bridge and Red River Gorge.

6. Carter Caves State Park offers fairly easy cave tours for a reasonable price ($7 per person)
Kentucky State Parks - Home

Old 11-26-2013, 09:29 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,879,827 times
Even though this thread is old, a good vacation never gets old and, a lot of people says we should encourage tourism, so here ye go. We don't have to invest anything extra because we have already got the best State Parks in the Country. I have personally been to every Kentucky State Resort Park and, they are all very good But, for the number one park I'll recommend Pine Mountain State Resort Park. Pine Mountain is Kentucky's first State Park created in 1924. Beautiful scenery anytime, great accommodations with both cabins and hotel type rooms, great food, lots to see and do. The lodge itself is rustic, modern and well maintained. A great place for meetings and conferences with lots of room and services or just a memorable vacation.

Try it out and tell us what you think.

Pine Mountain

Old 11-26-2013, 01:50 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,879,827 times
I was thinking about a vacation...with all of that to do it's more like a job. I guess I'm getting old huh.

Last edited by hogsrus; 11-26-2013 at 02:25 PM..

Old 11-27-2013, 02:24 PM

11,082 posts, read 17,525,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3l7e2t5i View Post
All we can say about Prizer Point Marina and Resort is WOW. It seems like the only thing in mind while constructing this Kentucky resort on Lake Barkley was family. And it shows from theme weekends to activities to lodging – this is the ultimate fun-filled family vacation for all ages.
Prizer Point IS nice. My wife's uncle lives just down the road from the entrance to Prizer. But what gets me is the prices. KOA is always higher than campgrounds anywhere but they are always clean and taken care of. We tent camp. Don't need water or electricity. We can go to Hillman Ferry or one of the other LBL campgrounds for $12/night, 7 nights a week. Prizer's camp sites with no utilities is $27 during the week and $35 on weekends. I know they have quite a few things to do there, but we always find plenty to do roaming the LBL.

http://www.prizerpoint.com/sg_userfiles/2013_rates.pdf

LBL | Hours and Fees (have to scroll down to campground rates)

Old 11-27-2013, 03:57 PM

17,531 posts, read 13,320,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcreek View Post
natural bridge state resort park might be just the ticket, located adjacent to the red river gorge and its abundance of natural arches, and only about an hour and a half from lexington and the bluegrass. You could stay in either lexington or winchester and make a day trip to this beautiful mountainous area, taking a picnic or dining at hemlock lodge's dining room and allowing time to make the gorge loop drive with some short hikes (walks, really) to the small but excellent museum at gladie, sky bridge (also good picnic ground here), angel windows, chimney top rock and princess arch, etc., or you could stay in the park's hemlock lodge or a park cabin and see more: Whittleton arch, gray's arch, rockbridge, etc. A little checking will reveal lots of photos of the gorge area online.

Late april is the best time to see the beautiful, varied, and abundant spring wildflowers (along with redbud, dogwood, sarvis, etc), and there are usually wildflower walks sponsored by the park at this time. Mountain laurel blooms later, in early june, and is also quite lovely, with the rosebay rhododendron blooming in mid to late june and into early july in areas of deep shade. The state park offers outdoor weekend square dancing during the warmer months, and there's also a large swimming pool, lots of trails, a skylift to natural bridge, and more. Various outfitters offer canoe trips on the
red river, and fall colors are spectacular in the mountains.

The park's lodge and cabins fill up fast, so if this interests you, contact them right away. If they're filled, don't despair - again, the gorge area isn't far from central kentucky and an early start will get you there well before midmorning, with lots of time to enjoy this spectacularly beautiful area.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky