U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:52 PM

323 posts, read 990,572 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what towns you'll be looking at, but if interested in the Morehead area the newspaper/classifieds are online at The Morehead News - Homepage They change their ads once a week (I believe on Wednesdays) It really is a great area. Mt. Sterling is about 30 minutes or so west on I-64, and Lexington is about 1 hour from Morehead to the West, and Huntington, West Virginia is about 1 hour to the East.

I know that Richmond has their newspaper and classifieds online (The Richmond Register), but I don't think Berea does... I'll defer to Kichenwich or others for that one... Lexington has been addressed by above poster... Danville I believe has their paper online as well.

One suggestion I might give you, is that if you find any realtors online who have e-mail... send them ALL a quick note of who you are and what you need and I'll bet most, if not all will write you back with either housing available for rent, OR with referrals to people who have rental property. (This is what I did when coming back to this area just this year.) It was very helpful and I actually rented a place online with a rental company in town that way!

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 11:12 PM

32 posts, read 110,341 times
Thanks for the link! There are MANY listings in the classifieds! Morehead looks like a great town, as much as one can see online, that is! LOL I enjoyed reading the local articles as well. Morehead and Mt. Sterling are both on my list of towns to visit, as are many more, and I'll be sure to contact area realtors as well.
Thanks again!

Old 07-24-2007, 04:39 AM

190 posts, read 747,811 times
I've found that most rental infomation can be found in the newspapers, with many available online.

The Richmond Register - Homepage

Desiree hit the nail on the head-most communities around do NOT discriminate because of where a person is from. Last year, we had a person move up the street who moved here after retiring from the New York police department. About 4 of us on this street took them homemade desserts about 2 weeks after they moved in. It's common practise in this area that you welcome EVERYONE unless they give you cause not to such as putting up "no trespassing" or "beware of the dog" signs. This pretty well lets you know they want left alone. It was so funny when I visited this neighbor! He and his wife both looked at me like I had grown a third head, and then cracked up laughing. According to them, they had lived in the same apartment in New York for about 10 years, and didn't even know their neighbor's names, let alone have any contact!

I wish you luck in your home search! Enjoy the beautiful drives and scenery thats all over this state. I'm sure you'll find the perfect place for you and your little ones!

~joanna~

Old 07-24-2007, 07:03 AM

Joanna, your story about your new NYC neighbors made me giggle. See, I'm VERY shy when meeting people in person for the first time. I always come off as stuck up or snooty, and then battle that image for years. It's awful. So about a week after we moved into this house, I whipped up 8 different batches of cookies and made 8 Welcome To The Neighborhood cookie trays. My children and I hand delivered them to our new neighbors, introduced ourselves, and told them we were looking forward to getting to know them better!

We made friends with three neighbors that day. And the others? Well, after three years of living here, they STILL think we're very odd and refuse to speak to us, including our next door neighbors! I thought it was a friendly gesture, but apparently I was wrong. Better luck next time, huh? LOLOL

As we have so much freedom to decide exactly where we cant to live, I've posted similar threads to this forum in NC, SC, GA, AL, AK, VA and TN. The general consensus in every state BUT Kentucky is that we'll have to lower some, if not most, of our expectations to live there. As I told my husband, why should we lower my expectations if Kentucky has everything what we're looking for?

You all have done a wonderful job describing your parts of Kentucky and the local customs. I've read every, and I do mean EVERY, thread here in the KY forum. I've take notes, especially taking care to note that we want KU electric! I've done a lot of researching, and Mt. Sterling, Berea, Morehead, Richmond and surrounding areas look to have exactly what we're looking for. I believe it's only a matter of finding a home in whatever area we feel most comfortable in, and I don't think that's going to be very difficult. I'm trying to plan our trip to coincide with the 127 Yard Sale, although I'm not sure how I'll haul stuff back up here, and just to move it down again, LOLOL.

We can't wait to come down and visit, and find our new home. I know I won't be disappointed! Thank you all for everything you've done!

Last edited by Sarahmorgan; 07-24-2007 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: spell check gone wild, ooops!

Old 07-26-2007, 12:41 PM

323 posts, read 990,572 times
Sarah, It makes me smile to read your enthusiasm and I want to say it makes me feel glad to be a part of your decision to give KY a chance and look here to see if yall love it as much as the rest of us do!

I read responses like yours and think to myself, (although stupid I know), I aided in "saving" someone else from drowning in the cesspools out there!

I hope you and your children find the "perfect" town for yourself and can move here quickly! I'll just bet you won't regret your decsion!

(P.S. One of my friends lives in AK and the cost of living is outrageous from all accounts!! Granted it IS beautiful though!)

Old 07-28-2007, 07:46 AM

21 posts, read 77,268 times
try Liberty Kentucky in Csaey County. As a truck driver, your husband will have no problem with work. As a small community, it is a beautiful and wonderful place to raise a family. very clean and everyone is very welcoming and friendly

Old 07-28-2007, 07:47 AM

21 posts, read 77,268 times
I meant Liberty Kentucky in Casey County

Old 08-01-2007, 04:49 PM

Desiree, you hit the nail on the head! We are living in a cesspool (my opinion) and we want to be saved! LOL

We'll be hitting the road Sunday night and be in Kentucky on Monday! We're just so excited! We've been avid researchers reading local papers, this forum, tourist sites, etc... We have a basic itinerary planned out so we can visit as many towns as possible and still have time to walk around and appreciate a few outdoor opportunities. We're not sure where we'll end up, exactly, but we know we're going to find exactly what we're looking for. Our plan is to find a place and be living down there by October 1st. I see no reason why it won't happen.

Thanks to everyone who has responded! We were initially devastated that our circumstances were forcing us out of our home and starting over. However, after finding this forum and reading all of your kind words and advice, we're actually looking forward to moving to Kentucky and embracing a new way of life.

Please accept our sincerest gratitude for all your help. It's truly made a difference in our lives. Many blessings to all of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or