U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:29 PM

16 posts, read 41,327 times

Advertisements

Working Couple,50-51 Looking for small, friendly town to relocate to in KY.
Probably will not relocate for 7-8 months,this will give us plenty of time to check a lot of places out. Danville and Morehead have come to our attention. I have checked these out on Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed but it is always a plus to hear from people who actually live there. Any small town is okay as long as it meets most of our wants. The main things we are looking for are,Friendly,smalltown town,easy fishing access, one or two bedroom rental house, with just enough land to raise a few farm animals such as chickens and a small garden. Work exp. includes cooking with culinary training academy certificate, basic labor, and girlfriend has masters in social work who is currently working on state license. Willing to travel a few miles to work. Small friendly town is our main concern. Any suggestions?
Thank you. Virginia country boy

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 05:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 10:12 AM

190 posts, read 746,959 times
Default Danville

Sounds like Danville fits the bill for you! Small town, close to Herrrington Lake, has a local college, and there are rentals out in the "country". We travel there quite often to kick around and antique hunt. I've always been impressed with how clean the town is, as are the roadsides. Plus, the Danville Playhouse offers some wonderful performances! Danville is also not that far from Lexington, where employment is pretty easy to get.

As for the Social Work aspect, I am graduating this fall with a BA in Social Work, and there seems to be many prospects for jobs. The state is going to hire about 200 more SWk's this year, which only requires the BA. If your sister-in-law goes for the MA, she can go to work for the state at a much higher rate!

I would suggest contacting a realtor in the Danville area, even if you aren't buying. They seem to know where the best rental properties are. You can also do a search for Danville, KY newspapers, and either buy a few copies or subscribe. That's the best way to get a "feel" for the town, and see all the negatives as well as the positives. Plus, it will give you a heads-up on rental property/areas/prices.

Hope this helps! ~joanna~

Old 07-19-2007, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,141 times
Hi everyone, My husband & I would like to move to Kentucky. We live in the Northern part of Michigan & we are tired of the 0 degree temp. & the 3 ft.of snow. We don't mind the snow but not 3 ft. of it at one time. We have a saying up North,We have 2 seasons. Winter & road construction. I love my job, I drive school bus for a great school district. We don't want to move too far away from the kids & grandchildren that are still here in Mi. So we are thinking of Northern & Central Kentucky. So if anybody has some info on a good school district to work for & safe place with friendly people we would appreciate it. Thank You. Diana

Old 07-19-2007, 01:54 PM

323 posts, read 988,912 times
You may want to look at Rowan County School District. Sits on I-64, with easy access to Lexington, Louisville, Cincy.. for either driving or airports. Small town with great people, low cost of living, low crime rate, cheap rentals and many opportunities to get areas outside town of Morehead with plenty of land... isolated, yet not, in the foothills of the Appalachian Mtns with excellent fishng/boating/camping at beautiful Cave Run Lake only 10 miles from Morehead!

Danville is okay.. quiet, quaint, more rolling farmland type terrain with easy access to Lexington, etc. You can't go wrong there either.. fishing is sort of nearby with either the river... or Herington Lake.

You might even do some research on Berea.. that is less "isolated feeling" than the other two places mentioned. Sits right on I-75 just 40 minutes or so South of Lexington, small-town, artsy, great college, quiet, lots o trees greeny, good schools and within easy drive for fishing at Lake Linville, etc. and a farther drive but well worth it to Lake Cumberland for all your outdoor pleasures.

Kentucky pretty much has it all.. you really just have to pick your poison for where you think you'd be happiest.... do you want more diverse ethnicities? more amenities? rural or urban? what is your idea of small town? 6,000 or 30,000??? The areas previously mentioned give you easy access to amenities, but some are closer. They all give you the "small town feel", but each are different "types" of small towns. They are different with surrounding terrain... do you prefer more tree/mtns or rolling farmland, etc. We've got it all, AND be close to Northern Kentucky and easy travel to Michigan through either Cincy or Louisville.
Good luck and I hope any of this helps!

Old 07-20-2007, 09:06 AM

2,064 posts, read 6,014,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS.Di1228 View Post
Hi everyone, My husband & I would like to move to Kentucky. We live in the Northern part of Michigan & we are tired of the 0 degree temp. & the 3 ft.of snow. We don't mind the snow but not 3 ft. of it at one time. We have a saying up North,We have 2 seasons. Winter & road construction. I love my job, I drive school bus for a great school district. We don't want to move too far away from the kids & grandchildren that are still here in Mi. So we are thinking of Northern & Central Kentucky. So if anybody has some info on a good school district to work for & safe place with friendly people we would appreciate it. Thank You. Diana
Are you looking for city, suburban, rural? Northern KY area kind of has a little bit of all of those options within a half hour (non-rush hour) from Cincy. There are a lot of nice communities up there, but I think a little more info is needed. Northern KY is also nice because it has 4 very evenly divided seasons. You'll see snow every year, but not 3 ft at one time. FYI, you'll get more responses if you create your own thread.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:25 PM

9 posts, read 29,012 times
Danville and Morehead are both "college" towns - Centre College in Danville and Morehead State University. Danville is about a 20-30 minute drive to Lexington, where you'll find shopping, entertainment and a great variety of restaurants.
I'm not familiar with Morehead, but have been to Danville many times to visit relatives. These older relatives were content there, but not necessarily "happy" as most of their socializing was done with old friends from Lexington and former classmates from Centre. My uncle commented on a few occasions that it was difficult to make new friends in Danville. He had a theory that it could be because they weren't members of a local church..........just something to think about. Anyway, the town is gorgeous, and full of the Commonwealth's history.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:34 PM

820 posts, read 2,591,039 times
If I had to choose between Morehead and Danville, it would be Danville hands down.

Danville is a bit closer to Lexington than Morehead. Danville is a BEAUTIFUL small town... actually picturesque. While there's not tons to do in Danville, there are options.

Morehead is very limited with activities considering it houses a state college of around 10,000 kids. The town itself would not be described as charming or beautiful by me. I don't dislike Morehead... may actually have my youngest daughter choose to go to school there.

The charm, beauty and friendliness of Danville would just be hands above Morehead IMO. Both are smaller towns with lots of "locals" and getting involved in church and community would take some effort on your parts.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:15 AM

15 posts, read 51,761 times
Here Here....we are a couple in SE WI, feel same way, the winters are rough, and we ride horses allot , live right off a trail system, but allas, from Nov-Almost April cant ride the trails due to ice, cold or numb feet from the 0 temps. Seeking places to build a sm cottage to vacation in over winter, prefer near trails, parks or state land. I can put up a cottage in 30 days, let me know how your search is going, any info would be great.
Thanks

sibl and john
SE WI
EnduranceNut@wi.rr.com

Old 08-11-2007, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 4,010 times
Default help is here my friends

Small town ???? ok and friendly, this is just my opionion. Please remember that. But I would recommend Elizabethtown Kentucky, Hardin County is the County it's known as.

Work, yes especially for Seniors, even part time, stores, Krogers, Winn Dixie, you can buy fresh garden produce by the road side in summer?.
apartments, mobile homes, furnished, unfurnished, country side, in summer, something to remember.

Beautiful countryside, restaurants, you name it, A-Z including Chinese and Barbeques, good restaurtants.

Great hospital, wonderful schools for kids, community events always going on.
check out the newspaper at News-Enterprise Newspaper in Elizabethtown Kentucky it will pull it up for you..

Yes I did live their, moved because mother passed awaym moving back though myself,

Old 08-13-2007, 01:39 AM

246 posts, read 960,406 times
Default highliner

Morehead is a beautiful small town, and those rolling hills would probably make any Virginian feel right at home. Also, its home to a state university, unlike Danville. Danville is a pretty neat place too, but is much larger than Morehead. Also, affordable farm lots are going to be much tougher to find, owing to the substantial growth in the Harrodsburg/Danville areas, and the resultant dramatic rise in land values. If I read you correctly, then Morehead/Rowan County sounds more like your kind of burg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky