Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support Mountaintop Removal mining?
Yes 7 14.89%
No 39 82.98%
Other 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 09:00 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times

Advertisements

My only sympathies are for the wildlife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 06:24 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
Quote:
first off, there arent "no more tobacco farms", and secondly people arent "doing just fine", in fact i know multiple farmers who without tobacco are doing terribly financially. and what exactly does that have to do with smoking? farmers producing tobacco and the state's laws against smoking it are not the same thing at all.

there is NO crop that can produce profit like tobacco in kentucky (besides a certain illegal one). its gradual phasing out has certainly had negative economic impacts on the state. hell, you take away the state's most profitable crop and replace it with nothing. phasing out coal is different, because the vast majority of the profits lie in the hands of the coal companies. tobacco however was the only way small farmers could live off their land. they didnt call it the golden leave for no reason.
Tobacco had a benefit in quite a bit of the state since the scale of the farms and hilly topography meant that Midwest/Great Plains style industrial ag wouldn't be too feasible. Sure, farms could consolidate, but if you had a lot of steeper slopes and broken land as part of the proprety you couldnt get the big efficiencies from large scale row-cropping in corn and soybeans.

Tobacco generated a lot of profit off smaller acerages, so was the ideal crop for the kind of landscape and smallholdings that characterized much of KY (thinking of the hill country outside of the flatter Bluegrass, Jackson Purchase and Pennyrile reigons)...places like, say, Roberston County or the country around Carlisle or Mumfordville.

But we are digressing from coal. Mountaintop Removal....are there any attempts at all to do reclamation or reforesting? I think a big issue with this is if the topsoil and subsoil is stripped away there is nothing to reclaim it with. I thought there was supposed to be some strip minining regulation in place that required reclamation?

Old 02-15-2011, 06:50 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Aren't most of the Tobacco farmers switching over to vinyards with the help of the government?

Old 02-15-2011, 06:57 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Tobacco had a benefit in quite a bit of the state since the scale of the farms and hilly topography meant that Midwest/Great Plains style industrial ag wouldn't be too feasible. Sure, farms could consolidate, but if you had a lot of steeper slopes and broken land as part of the proprety you couldnt get the big efficiencies from large scale row-cropping in corn and soybeans.

Tobacco generated a lot of profit off smaller acerages, so was the ideal crop for the kind of landscape and smallholdings that characterized much of KY (thinking of the hill country outside of the flatter Bluegrass, Jackson Purchase and Pennyrile reigons)...places like, say, Roberston County or the country around Carlisle or Mumfordville.

But we are digressing from coal. Mountaintop Removal....are there any attempts at all to do reclamation or reforesting? I think a big issue with this is if the topsoil and subsoil is stripped away there is nothing to reclaim it with. I thought there was supposed to be some strip minining regulation in place that required reclamation?
I don't really know how you can reclaim the devastation done by strip mining. You really have to see it first hand to understand the scale of the destruction. In my limited experiences of being back in abandoned strip mines, reclamation means throwing down a bunch of grass seed. The most memorable mine I was back in was in Letcher Co almost 10 years ago. I was driving around with my buddy in a 4 wheel drive, it seemed to go on forever. We drove around for a couple hours and he said that we only saw a fraction of it. There were people that had pulled trailers back in there and had obviously been "squatting" for a long time, they had laundry strung up, junk in the yard... It seemed like the principal use for this mine was a place for 4 wheeling, shooting guns and a place for teenagers to go drink. It was depressing.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:56 AM

298 posts, read 596,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Aren't most of the Tobacco farmers switching over to vinyards with the help of the government?
No.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:46 PM

298 posts, read 596,078 times
I hate MTR....I'm going to start all my post on this thread as such because some think I'm for MTR and it's just not true.

Now to business at hand. How many that have posted on this thread thus far actually live in Eastern Kentucky? I know some will say...what's that got to do with it, and I guess it don't matter to some. Well, I think it's got a lot to do with it...kinda like walking a mile in my shoes thing.

I live in Eastern Kentucky.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:50 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
I don't care what state it is I strongly oppose the destruction of mountains.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:03 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
If the aerial photography of eastern Kentucky on mapping programs doesn't change your mind to stop mountaintop removal, nothing will.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:13 PM

19,023 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Point is, using coal for energy is not going to last forever & it's on the outs. Once it happens, you're basically gonna be left with no economy & a once beautiful landscape that's been torn to shreds.
NE Pennsylvania is dotted with dying cities and little hamlets from the end of coal mining in the area.
I recall the 'interesting' colors from mineral deposits formed along stream banks from run off.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:55 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
In today's (Feb 18, 2011) Louisville Courier Journal an articles states that the Kentucky Senate is just about to approve a measure that would make certain areas of Eastern Kentucky exempt from EPA laws. These areas will be called "sanctuaries".
Anyone who thinks the mountains are beautiful better hurry and have a look. Take photos to show your children how the area once looked.
As I already stated, my sympathies are for the wildlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky