U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2007, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,044 times

Advertisements

Military family looking to finally settle down....Kentucky is at the top of our list....we have two elementary age children and one ready for college so schools are of primary importance....we want land and lots of it.....horses are in the future.....we have researched several areas but you know how wonderful things look in pictures....help.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 12:58 PM

323 posts, read 989,345 times
I can give you MY opinion on where I like best here.. but in order to get a more accurate description.. it might help if you actually post what type of living you are looking for... such as population size of town... if you prefer more amenities, airport closeness, etc.

Maybe if you list some of the towns/areas you're interested in... people who live there, or know about it, can answer more specific questions about those areas?

Old 07-20-2007, 01:02 PM

43 posts, read 39,585 times
We are close to Ft. Knox, KY and if you want lots of land and good schools, Breckinridge County is where you want to be.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:46 PM

104 posts, read 375,813 times
Hopkinsville is a great place for military families. Fort Campbell is one of the largest military bases in the world. The Hopkinsville-Clarksville metro area would be perfect.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:38 AM

13 posts, read 110,313 times
We're a military family too, although getting ready to move to Northern Virginia. I am originally from Kentucky and we currently live in Elizabethtown. There are good schools here, however if you want land I would go further out. Breckinridge County, Meade County, Nelson County, Larue County. Are you wanting to stay beside a military base to keep up with benefits? Nelson County also has good schools, and I like the Bardstown area as well.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:49 PM

63 posts, read 287,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordaal View Post
We're a military family too, although getting ready to move to Northern Virginia. I am originally from Kentucky and we currently live in Elizabethtown. There are good schools here, however if you want land I would go further out. Breckinridge County, Meade County, Nelson County, Larue County. .
I would second this recommendation, and would put Larue County at the top of this list for affordable land in a good area. It is still reasonably close to Ft. Knox, has good schools, and lots of beautiful land at reasonable prices. I live in Hardin County near Elizabethtown, and while it is a great place, land prices are really getting high here (at least relatively speaking).

Old 08-06-2007, 06:23 PM

4,824 posts, read 12,806,766 times
Ok, 1000 questions, but only you can answer 999. I can answer the education question. Oldham County has one of the top public education systems of our nation (tests and college success proves it). Your questions range from "after military" employment. Housing budget, social needs such as shopping, entertainment, transportation, etc. I would recommend Welcome to OldhamCounty.com! as a introduction site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky