Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 09:10 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,429,855 times

Advertisements

Thanx Kimmieky! You are always so helpful and informative on Kentucky. Now what can you tell me about Sturgis? I was surprised when my SO talked about moving to Sturgis in the Dakotas. But the winter months are much too long and too cold for my tastes. I heard that Kentucky has a Little Sturgis Rally which is a smaller version of the big rally they have in the Dakotas. I was thinking of moving to the Danville or Hustonville area. Where are Tinsel Town and Sturgis in relation to these towns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 12:02 PM

850 posts, read 3,158,632 times
OOHHH, Joyce - Let me do some research. I have heard of that, too - but not experienced it. It may take a little digging - but I will get back to you on location, events, etc.

And thank you for the compliment! I figure - I've been here for 40 years -may as well put what I 'know' (which is sometimes not much! lol!) to use!

Talk to you soon!

Here is the map:

http://www.google.com/maps?q=Sturgis...i=map&ct=title
- I found that quickly - now, let me check on the rest. You can see by the map how far you will be from Buckner - travel time - I am guessing, because it is not all interstate, may be close to 2 hours. Anyone else out there have a timeframe on that travel?

Be back shortly!!!

Old 02-02-2007, 08:34 AM

http://www.littlesturgisrally.net/

Joyce - above is info on the rally. I am quit intrigued myself - I have no idea why I did not realize how big of a deal this is!

Looks like fun - may have to check it out myself!!

Old 02-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Lea

3 posts, read 11,009 times
Sorry I missed replying "joyce65". Thanks Kimmieyky for taking up my slack.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea View Post
Sorry I missed replying "joyce65". Thanks Kimmieyky for taking up my slack.
No problem! I just hope I was right!!!

Old 02-02-2007, 10:50 PM

246 posts, read 1,057,147 times
Default highliner

I'll agree that Lagrange is a nice little town, BUT Buckner is NOT! I resent people making false claims, such as have been made about Buckner. As for making accusations, well, if da' shoe fits.............

Old 02-03-2007, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highliner View Post
I'll agree that Lagrange is a nice little town, BUT Buckner is NOT! I resent people making false claims, such as have been made about Buckner. As for making accusations, well, if da' shoe fits.............
Curious - what exactly is it about the Buckner area you do not like? It is a very small 'town', but directly on the path to Lagrange and in very close proximity to Pee Wee Valley, Goshen and Crestwood. Very rural with the exception of a few shops, home to soccer fields, quaint antique shops, and pretty much representative of the days before development in small Kentucky areas, but it will grow...and I am wondering specifically what it's issues are.

Just wondering what your concerns are, as we all have reasons we like or dislike certain areas.

Thanks for sharing specifics - as I am definetly interested.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:33 PM

246 posts, read 1,057,147 times
Default highliner

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum, namely, that I criticized the highly innaccurrate descriptions of a certain rundown little wide spot in Oldham county, which seems to have prompted some amusing defenses. One of the funniest was in reference to the complete lack of shopping amenities that some of you have claimed to be in B-, never mind that. Its funny, in that you immediately named several big shopping centers located in the next county over, at least ten miles, and about a twenty minute drive, away. Thank you for proving me correct. Madison is a great little city. Lagrange IS, as some of you have claimed, a nice, howbeit rather small, town. Louisville, furthermore, is the best city in Kentucky, so far as I'm concerned. But this ugly blot that you keep fighting for, is STILL an ugly little blot, regardless of all the promises of upcoming improvements, that we've been hearing about for the last thirty years, all with no improvement ,as of today. I guess we're just going to have to agree that we all have the right to our own opinions, and that only mine are even remotely right.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:00 AM

728 posts, read 1,676,555 times
Another thread that has been abandoned but I still feel compelled to add to. First, Tinseltown is the name of the theatre which is located in Springhurst. Springhurst is basically a big, outdoor shopping center located off Westport Road. Second, I'm not sure why Buckner is being referred to as ugly and rundown. FWIW, Buckner is not really considered as a "traditional" town, as there is no downtown area or major shopping areas. There are some factories located around Hwy 146, but I would not consider them an eyesore by any means. There are several schools in the Buckner area (Oldham Co HS, Oldham Co Middle school and Buckner Elementary).

Old 03-22-2007, 08:56 AM

7 posts, read 28,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver30 View Post
Considering a move and wondering if anyone had any information and/or opinions about Buckner? I know it's in Oldham County. Good schools are important to us, as well as a community with various activities for our kids, i.e., sports, libraries, parks, etc.

Any info would be appreciated!
Great area and in Buckner you can lve close to people but still be on .5 acre tracts or you can move outside the immediate area and get acres of land. Oldham ounty is horse country and so BEAUTIFUL. I drive down the road and watch the horses racing the fence line yet it takes me 10 minutes to get to the bigger city life. You will get your shopping, entertainment, restaurants, libraries, etc all close by that is what is so great about Oldham County.
You can go to http://www.oldhamcounty.com/ and get info on Oldham and go to www.glarhomes.com/lisatoombs to get housing info or email me to talk more : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky