U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2007, 08:46 PM

13 posts, read 45,091 times

Advertisements

A friend and I were in Hazard last Thursday. We were expecting a poverty stricken area but it didnt look like it. Most people were driving newer cars and the women really took care of themselfs. I was inpressed there hair and nails were lookin good. Im sure ill get negative respones but it surprised us. My friend is from Kentucky and it surprised her. JUst wondering where the money is coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 09:04 PM

190 posts, read 747,153 times
I know you didn't mean to, but your post made it sound like you were suprised that people in Hazard weren't obvious rednecks. You know, the men all wear bib overalls, the kids don't have shoes, and the women are pregnant and missing at least half their teeth!

Just poking fun at ya! Hope you don't take offense. Most of the money in Hazard comes from mining and trucking, both which pay very well. The stereotype of the area is really wrong, as it is for most of the people in the state.

If you liked the area, you'll have to go back and visit when they are having their Black Gold festival. We went a couple of years back, and had a blast. Live music, crafts, vendors, and food food food! While your at it, check out some more of our wonderful state. I'm sure you will have a great time, and fall in love with the area! ~joanna~

Old 07-22-2007, 09:09 PM

13 posts, read 45,091 times
Im looking at relocating to the Somerset area.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:40 AM

190 posts, read 747,153 times
Default Somerset

G'Morning! I know and love the Somerset area. We have a little fishing cabin on Lake Cumberland, and travel there often. In fact, we are going camping this weekend!

Somerset has experienced a lot of growth over the last few years. There are plenty of restaraunts, shopping, etc., and of course the lake gives hours of things to do. There are some great flea markets and antique shops (my favorite on Hwy27). Now they have opened a new water park, right outside of town. We had my daughter's B-day party there two weekends ago, and everyone had a blast.

Check out Tatesville, if you want a small town right that connects to Somerset, right on the Lake. Or, if you prefer a little farther out, Nancy and Science Hill are beautiful little communities. Hope this helps, and check out these links for more info!

Somerset Kentucky City Guide - SomersetKy / Somerset,Kentucky / Lake Cumberland
Somerset, Kentucky and Pulaski County
http://www.city-data.com/city/Somerset-Kentucky.html
Somerset Pulaski County Chamber of Commerce
lakecumberland.com - The Lake Cumberland Directory
Lake Cumberland Home Page

Have a great time in Somerset, and welcome home! ~joanna~

Old 08-03-2010, 07:16 PM

15 posts, read 41,815 times
Thumbs down Surprise! Surprise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peepops View Post
A friend and I were in Hazard last Thursday. We were expecting a poverty stricken area but it didnt look like it. Most people were driving newer cars and the women really took care of themselfs. I was inpressed there hair and nails were lookin good. Im sure ill get negative respones but it surprised us. My friend is from Kentucky and it surprised her. JUst wondering where the money is coming from.
I am extremely pleased that you made this wonderful discovery about the true sub-culture in Hazard.
First and foremost, some of the money that you are wondering about comes from hardworking individuals that risk their lives to mine the coal
from the mountains, underground and rough terrain. They risk their lives to support their families and keep the lights on-not just for us, but for you folks that are so mis-informed about life in Hazard (Southeastern, KY).
Some individuals may not work in the mines, but they haul the coal to power plants and other factories/plants so the rest of the state and surrounding states may be able to utilize electricity. Many others work at
coal mining supply stores, grocery stores, hospitals, schools, churches, restaurants, auto dealerships, gas stations and numerous businesses that are located in and throughout Hazard and the surrounding counties. All of these businesses contribute to the coal mining industrry, directly and/or indirectly. Do you get the picture?
Further, most families have bathrooms and running water in their homes; whether they live in a house, apartment, trailer, etc..
I haven't decided whether you are genuine or just a smart-aleck that wants to see how many hits or responses you will get from such a condescending attitude. Really, this is 2010 and we have super highways and internet.
Regarding your grammar and spelling-hopefully, you know how to spell and write and that is just another part of the condescending attitude.
It really doesn't matter. I hope you visit Hazard again.
Who knows, maybe you will decide to stay and take a bath, get your hair and nails done, buy a new chevrolet from Cardinal Chevrolet or go back to school and learn how to spell. You are welcome.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:23 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,451,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalminergirl00 View Post
I am extremely pleased that you made this wonderful discovery about the true sub-culture in Hazard.
First and foremost, some of the money that you are wondering about comes from hardworking individuals that risk their lives to mine the coal
from the mountains, underground and rough terrain. They risk their lives to support their families and keep the lights on-not just for us, but for you folks that are so mis-informed about life in Hazard (Southeastern, KY).
Some individuals may not work in the mines, but they haul the coal to power plants and other factories/plants so the rest of the state and surrounding states may be able to utilize electricity. Many others work at
coal mining supply stores, grocery stores, hospitals, schools, churches, restaurants, auto dealerships, gas stations and numerous businesses that are located in and throughout Hazard and the surrounding counties. All of these businesses contribute to the coal mining industrry, directly and/or indirectly. Do you get the picture?
Further, most families have bathrooms and running water in their homes; whether they live in a house, apartment, trailer, etc..
I haven't decided whether you are genuine or just a smart-aleck that wants to see how many hits or responses you will get from such a condescending attitude. Really, this is 2010 and we have super highways and internet.
Regarding your grammar and spelling-hopefully, you know how to spell and write and that is just another part of the condescending attitude.
It really doesn't matter. I hope you visit Hazard again.
Who knows, maybe you will decide to stay and take a bath, get your hair and nails done, buy a new chevrolet from Cardinal Chevrolet or go back to school and learn how to spell. You are welcome.
He doesn't have a condescending attitude nor is his spelling that bad. You've got more grammar and spelling mistakes than he. On that note, Hazard is a bright spot in EKY, there are far more depressed areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky