Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:24 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times

Advertisements

Appeals court to consider law crediting God for Kentucky's security | The Courier-Journal | courier-journal.com

I can't believe this is seriously on the books in Kentucky... a federal court would murder this legislation. Why do these so-called "Christians" insist on ensuring that their version of "Christianity" rules the lives of all people? I seriously wish they could be dropped into the middle of an Islamic country to see how it feels being in a religious minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 01:00 PM

185 posts, read 399,909 times
Well, that's why America was formed in the first place. Ya know, the whole Mayflower thing and establishing a "One Nation Under God". If you think you're being closed in by laws influenced by Christianity here, go to an Islamic country and see how you feel about Shari'ah.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:38 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimebanjo View Post
Well, that's why America was formed in the first place. Ya know, the whole Mayflower thing and establishing a "One Nation Under God". If you think you're being closed in by laws influenced by Christianity here, go to an Islamic country and see how you feel about Shari'ah.
Ugh, ignorant people are the bane of our country. "One Nation Under God" wasn't even added to the pledge of allegiance until the 50s when the Cold War was underway.

America was formed in the first place due to RELIGIOUS PERSECUTION by the British and other Europeans so people could find religious freedom here. This is why the CONSTITUTION says the following:

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
We are a secular nation of all faiths and nonfaiths. People like you who forget that and our history of it are detrimental to this country.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:36 PM

298 posts, read 596,128 times
But of course.....who else could you credit?

Surely not a politician!!

Old 02-24-2011, 03:24 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Appeals court to consider law crediting God for Kentucky's security | The Courier-Journal | courier-journal.com

I can't believe this is seriously on the books in Kentucky... a federal court would murder this legislation. Why do these so-called "Christians" insist on ensuring that their version of "Christianity" rules the lives of all people? I seriously wish they could be dropped into the middle of an Islamic country to see how it feels being in a religious minority.
While I consider myself a Christian, I think this is a clear case respecting an establishment of a religion. I think the law should be struck down. I do not want the government getting involved in my personal religious beliefs. If you believe God is protecting Kentucky cool. If you dont believe God is protecting Kentucky, cool too.

Another thing to bring mostly negative attention to the Bluegrass state. Perfect.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:33 PM

42 posts, read 86,080 times
^ Exactly.

I really think Kentucky has so much potential. I've had people from out of state visit here and think it's a beautiful state and really enjoy the area but everyone I know or who have visited would never consider living here or really even come back just because how backwards it is.

It is consistently a "red state" even though so much of the state lives in poverty. The coal industry is virtually raping and taking advantage of eastern kentucky when a bigger push towards tourism (and cleaning up the area) could do wonders for the area. The state has no protections or equality for gay/lesbians when civil unions (not even same sex marriage but even civil unions) and some workplace protections could bring more industry, more businesses and more people to the area and really make it take off. And this CONSTANT push for making christian beliefs as laws or pushed in government (not to mention the Creation Museum foolishness and the proposed Noah's Ark park) is just cringe worthy.

I'm desperately trying to get out of the state even though I live and was raised in the state. It's just a mess here. Not that other states don't do similar things but Kentucky could realistically get ahead of the curve of most of the south/midwest but chooses not to.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:19 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,910,231 times
"i got a welt from the bible belt". can't wait to put this white trash breeding ground in my rearview!!

Old 02-24-2011, 06:27 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Ugh, ignorant people are the bane of our country. "One Nation Under God" wasn't even added to the pledge of allegiance until the 50s when the Cold War was underway.

America was formed in the first place due to RELIGIOUS PERSECUTION by the British and other Europeans so people could find religious freedom here. This is why the CONSTITUTION says the following:

We are a secular nation of all faiths and nonfaiths. People like you who forget that and our history of it are detrimental to this country.
There were official state churches in several states well into the 19th century. President Jefferson organized church services to be held in the capitol and they were held for decades. Until relatively recent times the oaths of office in several states included references to God. The first amendment prohibits government meddling in religion, it doesn't outlaw religious involvement in government.

Honestly, this just exposes hate. The law in question hurts no one and forces nothing on anyone, atheists just need the courts to force their views down others' throats.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:30 PM

298 posts, read 596,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roythe13th View Post
^ Exactly.

I really think Kentucky has so much potential. I've had people from out of state visit here and think it's a beautiful state and really enjoy the area but everyone I know or who have visited would never consider living here or really even come back just because how backwards it is.

It is consistently a "red state" even though so much of the state lives in poverty. The coal industry is virtually raping and taking advantage of eastern kentucky when a bigger push towards tourism (and cleaning up the area) could do wonders for the area. The state has no protections or equality for gay/lesbians when civil unions (not even same sex marriage but even civil unions) and some workplace protections could bring more industry, more businesses and more people to the area and really make it take off. And this CONSTANT push for making christian beliefs as laws or pushed in government (not to mention the Creation Museum foolishness and the proposed Noah's Ark park) is just cringe worthy.

I'm desperately trying to get out of the state even though I live and was raised in the state. It's just a mess here. Not that other states don't do similar things but Kentucky could realistically get ahead of the curve of most of the south/midwest but chooses not to.
OR....Kentucky could be right and everyone else is wrong...it's just a matter of opinion. I see a lot of things taking place in other states and, I hardly call it progress but, to each his own.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:33 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roythe13th View Post
^ Exactly.

The coal industry is taking advantage of the people there, but have you ever lived in a tourist economy? The move to a tourist economy in Vermont, for example, has lead to skyrocketing real estate prices (out of staters with money buying up second homes), and only seasonal, low wage jobs. At least before the move to tourism Vermont was affordable despite not being wealthy. This plays out everywhere tourism becomes the dominant industry.

As for homosexuals, states like MA shove it down people's throats, having little kids in kindergarten and elementary school read homosexual propaganda books. Then shall we discuss naked homosexuals during their "pride" events?

The Creation Museum was privately funded. Don't visit it if you don't like it.

Maybe when you're taxed out of your home or thrown in prison for defending yourself against some criminal thug in a "blue" state you'll appreciate "red" politics more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky