U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Kentucky: Lexington, equity, cheap flight, roundtrip tickets, safe area.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:14 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,011,257 times

Advertisements

Looks like we have narrowed it down now [thanks to all of your helpfull advice along with quite a bit of research] to somewhere between Lexington and up to the Fort Mitchell area. Now I have a request if any of you have time to help.

We will fly out in October to do a drive around. Will be flying into Lexington, then driving to Northern KY to check it all out. Any recommendations for particular area's to see on the way up that won't be too far off the beaten path [since will only have 2 days to drive around]?

We already have Lexington, Fort Mitchell, Florence, Independence, and Taylor Mill on our hit list. With that short bit of time, any other area's that we shouldn't miss? It all looks so good to us. Maybe some area were not thinking about North of Lexington on the way up? Any suggestions will be fabulous! We are definately looking more Suburb to Country. Prefer open area's offering nice homes with some land around them but were also open to the spaced out cul-de-sac type area's too that our girls could be happy to meet new friends at.

Next we have to tell my wife's parents, uggh. Dread that conversation. My wife and her mom are like sisters talking every day. The good news is we think we can get them to move too! There equity is probably triple what ours is, so they could really get something nice over there, especially since one is retired, and the other is about too. The timing over the next year or so could be perfect. After that in a few years, it sounds like my wife's brother and family living and working in the United Kingdom might also move over! So watch out Kentucky, there is a slew of us coming soon. Don't worry, were all really nice and down to earth! That's why were coming your way!

Excited and nervous like a bunch of kids! This is fun.

Thanks again in advance. Ciao.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 09:11 PM

2,064 posts, read 6,017,155 times
Fort Mitchell is not what I would consider suburban or country, it is more like an older, "inner ring" suburb. Smaller lots with nice, older homes... The lots may still be pretty big to where you are from in CA. It is very nice though. Fort Thomas, Park Hills and Fort Wright are similar towns in Northern Kentucky. There are a lot of areas in those towns that have awesome views of the Cincinnati skyline. You pay for it, but it is very pretty.

If you are looking for country/suburban in the Lexington area, check out Versailles/Woodford Co. It is maybe 15 miles west of Lexington and a very nice small town, set in the middle of horse country but a short drive to Lexington. Woodford County is fairly affluent because of all the horse farms there, it is pretty country.

It is too bad you will only be in KY for 2 days. October is when Keeneland has its Fall meet. Keeneland is a beautiful horse track in Lexington and it is THE social event in Central KY. Check it out on the web. When you make your move to Kentucky, make sure to plan to go to either the upcoming April or October meet to get a real taste of Kentucky culture.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:54 PM

508 posts, read 1,316,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Fort Mitchell is not what I would consider suburban or country, it is more like an older, "inner ring" suburb. Smaller lots with nice, older homes... The lots may still be pretty big to where you are from in CA. It is very nice though. Fort Thomas, Park Hills and Fort Wright are similar towns in Northern Kentucky. There are a lot of areas in those towns that have awesome views of the Cincinnati skyline. You pay for it, but it is very pretty.

If you are looking for country/suburban in the Lexington area, check out Versailles/Woodford Co. It is maybe 15 miles west of Lexington and a very nice small town, set in the middle of horse country but a short drive to Lexington. Woodford County is fairly affluent because of all the horse farms there, it is pretty country.

It is too bad you will only be in KY for 2 days. October is when Keeneland has its Fall meet. Keeneland is a beautiful horse track in Lexington and it is THE social event in Central KY. Check it out on the web. When you make your move to Kentucky, make sure to plan to go to either the upcoming April or October meet to get a real taste of Kentucky culture.
I agree. The fall season and when Keenland is running are both great times to visit.

Go rent the movie 'Seabiscuit' -- several scenes are from the surrounding Lexington area and many were shot during fall. It will give you a pretty good image.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:06 PM

508 posts, read 1,316,887 times
One more thing. You are not gonna want to see me write this and others may disagree but I think you will miss some of KY's best parts by just sticking to the short northward drive from Lex-Ft Mitchell but I understand your time constraints.

You could go to the aquarium in Covington -- The Newport Aquarium. I have not been so I can't vouch for it.

In addition to the Versailles suggestion, Georgetown/Scott Co. has become decent place that is out a little ways from Lexington and is still a short drive from Lexington (right off I-75). You can stop there on the way to Ft Mitchell. It is probably a tad more affordable in the housing department and you will on average get more property.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:20 AM

2,064 posts, read 6,017,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit View Post
You could go to the aquarium in Covington -- The Newport Aquarium. I have not been so I can't vouch for it.
The Newport Aquarium is in Newport. I was really impressed with it when I went several years ago. The aquarium is in Newport on the Levee, which is a pretty cool shopping/entertainment complex on the river. The Hofbrauhaus is neat too and right across the road. They brew their own beer, I believe it is owned by the same ownership as the one in Munich. It was the first Hofbrauhaus in the US, I think there are a couple more now.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:45 PM

820 posts, read 2,592,223 times
I agree with the others that suggest checking out Woodford County (Versailles) and Scott County (Georgetown). It will be very difficult for you to evaluate Lexington alone in two days though. Lexington is very varied in what it offers in neighborhoods and areas of living. When you're considering Lexington and any of the surrounding counties, Lexington will by far be the most expensive. You could get much more bang for your buck by a surrounding county to go up north.

Our beautiful state has a lot to offer.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:01 AM

Default Ca to Ky "Narrowing it down"

As usual, your information is invaluable. I wish we did have more time to check out some of your events and attractions, but our 2 days as you can tell will be all work and no play just to get a better idea of the housing area's. The good news is once were over for good, then we can enjoy all that Kentucky has to offer, and very much look forward to taking our girls to see it all!

Old 07-30-2007, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,404 times
We are in a similar situation. We live just north of LA and are looking to relocate to the Union, KY area. I am nervous as once we make the move, there is no turning back (too expensive in CA). We are flying out in September to give it a closer look. For cheap flights check out skybus.com They fly out of Burbank and into Columbus. That is about 2 hours from Union area, but the flight is so cheap ($75 per person going out and $50 per person on the return) Our family of 4 is flying round trip for less than $600. Good luck!

Old 07-31-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyeCA View Post
We are in a similar situation. We live just north of LA and are looking to relocate to the Union, KY area. I am nervous as once we make the move, there is no turning back (too expensive in CA). We are flying out in September to give it a closer look. For cheap flights check out skybus.com They fly out of Burbank and into Columbus. That is about 2 hours from Union area, but the flight is so cheap ($75 per person going out and $50 per person on the return) Our family of 4 is flying round trip for less than $600. Good luck!
Hmmm, sounds like your definately in the same predicament as ourselves. Your right about the "there is no turning back". I have seen a few friends who did the crazy move to the desert only to come back in a much worse condition due to like you said "too expensive in CA". Me and my 3 girls [wife + 2 daughters] have reseached quite a few area's from Oregon, Idaho, Colorado [just came back from Co last month on a check out of that area from Co Springs up to Boulder] and then over to Virginia, Tenn, North Carolina, Texas, then finally finding Kentucky and feeling it has everything we are looking for. Mild climate but still with the seaons, still close to mountains, more green, low crime, nice people, affordable homes [actually some of the best values anywhere from what I have seen], and then where we ended up settling on was "Northern Kentucky" [first were really looking into the surrounding Lexington area] by Fort Mitchell and Taylor Mill, because being from Thousand Oaks we wanted something similar in white collar workers with high college educations, we wanted country/suburban area's but not too far from some cities [this area is about 60 miles north of Lexington, but only a 1/2 hr south of Cincinnati Ohio, and Fort Mitchell is known to be a very clean charming town]. Then finally of course the two major closers for us were the schools [which are the highest scored in KY] and my ability to find work [seemed to have a lot of opportunity in the area, and worst case scenario I can commute to Cincinnati if I had too] which seemed good with several possibilities within a 1/2 hour of the area for me.

We still haven't ruled out the surrounding area's of Lexington that is why we plan on flying into Lexington and then driving up trying to see all that we can see in just a couple of days. Thanks for tip regarding using skybus.com, my wife was the one comparing prices on that one. We were trying to use some of our air-miles on a card, so that may have limited us on who we can use [I believe it was American Airlines], but I will still have her check your way which definately sounded cheaper. If you need to compare notes at all, feel free to ask us. I am the type who "over" studies a area comparing everything, demographics, weather, crime, natural resources, economy, housing, schools, and so on, and so on. [drive my wife crazy sometimes that way!]. I just feel that this is a serious move, and deserves serious study.

Let us know, ciao.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or