U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 11:20 PM

8 posts, read 29,840 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering moving to Logan County just outside of Russellville on the east side. I have researched as much as I can, but I'd like to know what it's like there. I have very briefly visited the area, the countryside outside on hwy 100 is absolutely beautiful. all the farming land, rolling hills, just picturesque! really breathtaking! Are the people open or kind to outsiders from Texas coming over?
Any information about Russellville from an insiders viewpoint would be much appreciated!
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 09:56 PM

5 posts, read 17,155 times
Gulfcoast, My family moved to Russellville from the southwest about 1yr ago. We just decided we'd had enough of the heat and brush and decided to move to the country. We researched online for about 9 months and found Russellville, visited and loved it. We live on HWY 100 just outside the Russellville city limits. We have a beautiful house that sits on a hill w/woods behind and 2.5 acres of rolling green hillssurrounding us. It is gorgeous countryside. We got so much more for our money moving here! Everyone has been very welcoming and we've made a lot of good friends, even if we are "northerners" (born and raised in Chicago). To be honest it has taken us awhile to get adjusted to the pace and even the friendliness of people! Everyone seems so nice, maybe it's real or they're just too polite to be honest here. My only problem is that you have to go about 30 minutes to get to Bowling Green for any decent restaurants/stores/groceries. Walmart is on the bypass but other than that just little stuff. You might also want to check out auto insurance, we ended up paying way more in KY than Phoenix, crazy! I think overall, Russellville is your typical small town with festivals and stuff on the town square. Very relaxed, laid back attitudes. A word of advice and I'm speaking from experience not scores, if you have children send them to the COUNTY schools not the CITY schools. If you have any other questions I'll do my best to answer you. Unfortunately my Husband has had a job offer in SC and we are going to be moving in the next few months but I'll keep checking this forum. Need a house in beautiful Russellville? LOL!

Old 08-10-2007, 12:37 AM

Thank you for the reply, just the information I was looking for. I am eyeing up a house in Russellville out on hwy100 outside of town too, funny you mention. It's not only beautiful countryside but ever so peaceful too. I see it may be in the middle of nowhere, yet close to most everywhere, ie. Bowling Green within 25 mins and Nashville (big city) 1 hr tops. Clarkesville is probably 45 mins away. Have not driven there yet from Russellville. Kids? I have 1, but she is in college and so schools are not my concern anymore, thank goodness! The wife and I are looking for the small town feel on acreage, (had enough of Houston, TX) with access to amenities from a big city, and Nashville is plenty far enough for me, yet just down the road. I really think Russellville may fit the bill. Peace and serenity is what I am looking for, and Russellville is looking more and more like it's the answer. Though we may be from Texas, blending in should be easy to do!
In fact I was just visiting there 2 days ago, and I can't wait to re-visit again. In fact I found the whole place to be very nice, peaceful and laid back. I have a feeling it will grow a bit over the next few years but not by much. What do you think?

Old 08-14-2007, 05:09 AM

5 posts, read 17,155 times
It looks like we may be neighbors in the near future. I think you will find exactly what you are searching for here. My husband travels quite a bit for work and it takes him about an hour to get to the Nashville airport. Not bad really, it's mostly country roads and then highway. Russellville has grown a lot since I moved here just last year. I think it will continue to grow by adding more conveniences out on the bypass while still keeping it's small town appeal. Good luck to you and your family and let me know if you need any inside relocation information!

Old 08-14-2007, 11:37 PM

I will keep you in mind for any local relocation information. You are so kind! Thanks..........

Old 08-15-2007, 10:16 PM

just a quick question, is cable internet available at your place? or is it dial up?

Old 09-24-2007, 06:14 PM

4 posts, read 17,375 times
Default Clear-Lake-Ex-Pat.....

I was born and raised on the south side of Houston, Clear Lake. Attended high school in Bay City. Lived in dowtown Houston for a while.
People love Texans here. At least that's the vibe I get. People here are very friendly. More so than most of the people I know in Houston.
The surrounding areas are of astounding beauty.
I moved here to get away from Houston. My fathers family is from Russellville. It's slowwwwwwwww paced, but I dig that about Russellville. The history is overwhelming!

Old 09-24-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Native Clear Lake kid.....

I'm from Clear Lake. I lived in dowtown Houston for a few years and made up my mind to leave Houston for good. I miss the food and the nightlife, that's about it.
I see more and more vehicles with the tell tell registration window sticker and front license plate, (neither are required here in Kentucky), and it melts my heart everytime I see that plate!
The people here are friendly to just about everyone. People ask me all sorts od questions about Texas and the fishing in the Gulf.
My fathers fam is from here. I had to move here before something bad happened in Texas. I was living a wild life to say the least.
Recently I have been working on subdividing 80 acres for my father. In the country. Lewisburg to be exact. The road name is Duncan Ridge Road. If you are ever in the area again you should drive down that road. They are soon to make it a scenic by way. That's the rumor I keep hearing.
I know many people here and I live a laid back and open schedule. I would be happy to help you with any information you could ever want.
Fell free to email or call me anytime.
Hope to Call you a neighbor soon!

Jason T. Gupton.

jsnguptn@msn.com
832-474-4925

Old 09-24-2007, 06:31 PM

HA! I didn't think the top message went through.

I'm replying now to your internet questions....
I have wireless DSL provided by The Electric Plant Board (Local electricity company). I am quite pleased with the speed and the service. Other options include: Logan Tele Co-Op, SBC Global, Dish 500, and several other choices.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:59 PM

103 posts, read 407,700 times
On 100 about half way between russelville and franklin there is a spot in the road called middleton. That surrounding area seems to be tornado alley(bad storms) as they head on towards auburn and richpond, etc. That has been my observation over the last 20 years. I have a couple places that have lost shingles, but not a whole house yet. I guess KY and Tn are just a little prone to bad storms and twisters.

Last edited by FreeMarketSlave; 09-24-2007 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or