U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-12-2011, 02:37 AM
 
3 posts, read 4,403 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to relocate to either Ohio or Kentucky, but not sure where to start our research. We know exactly what we want (and maybe all the details will help you help us)

Basically what we are looking for is:
Lowest possible crime and drug rates, it's very important.. I mean who wouldn't want that for their children?
Family friendly
Good schools
Not too crowded (houses a little far apart) so we could have an acre or so to plant but still within a reasonable riding distance from shops, at the edge of a busy town or a major city perhaps?
Within a reasonable riding distance from cultural and family activities or attractions.
Friendly tolerant people (I'm white but I wasn't born in the US and have a heavy accent)
Not too far south since I can't tolerate heat all that well and my husband likes snow
House prices aren't an issue, but we are not stuck up and we really would live anywhere nice.
Within a reasonable riding distance from a hospital or a medical center
Has to have access to high speed internet


Any suggestions for cities we should look into?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2011, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,826 posts, read 13,841,106 times
Reputation: 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedmonkey View Post
My husband and I are planning to relocate to either Ohio or Kentucky, but not sure where to start our research. We know exactly what we want (and maybe all the details will help you help us)

Basically what we are looking for is:
Lowest possible crime and drug rates, it's very important.. I mean who wouldn't want that for their children?
Family friendly
Good schools
Not too crowded (houses a little far apart) so we could have an acre or so to plant but still within a reasonable riding distance from shops, at the edge of a busy town or a major city perhaps?
Within a reasonable riding distance from cultural and family activities or attractions.
Friendly tolerant people (I'm white but I wasn't born in the US and have a heavy accent)
Not too far south since I can't tolerate heat all that well and my husband likes snow
House prices aren't an issue, but we are not stuck up and we really would live anywhere nice.
Within a reasonable riding distance from a hospital or a medical center
Has to have access to high speed internet


Any suggestions for cities we should look into?
You have tagged Oldham County perfectly. We are a bedroom community of Louisville. I-71 runs right up the middle of the county with exits at MP 14,17,18,22, & 28. Those are the distances from downtown Louisville. I live here, have been involved in the school system, own a small business, and buy 95% of all our necessities here.

The most notable comment is your comment about being accepted with your accent. Oldham County is one of the most diverse populaces in America. Yes, we are upper low to true middle to lower upper class socio-economically identified, but we walk together, learn together, shop together, and worship in many styles and faiths together.

Nowhere in Oldham County is more than a few minutes to high quality regional, even world class medical care. From the cure for cervical cancer, to first mechanical heart transplants to some of the world's first hand and face transplants. Average home with 2000 sq ft = 200,000....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2011, 02:28 AM
 
3 posts, read 4,403 times
Reputation: 10
That sounds almost perfect! My husband is pleased with idea..

We have browsed some starter info about the area and we are liking it a lot. I just have one more question, are there any nice suggested areas within the county where we could buy about 5 acres of land and build our own house that still have access to utilities and internet?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2011, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Near L.A.
4,111 posts, read 10,342,507 times
Reputation: 3434
My top choice: Oldham County.

I'd also consider Boone County in extreme Northern KY and Calloway County in extreme western KY.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2011, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,826 posts, read 13,841,106 times
Reputation: 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedmonkey View Post
That sounds almost perfect! My husband is pleased with idea..

We have browsed some starter info about the area and we are liking it a lot. I just have one more question, are there any nice suggested areas within the county where we could buy about 5 acres of land and build our own house that still have access to utilities and internet?
Yes, there are still those sites. Not as many towards the western end (Louisville) of the county, but yes, there are some available.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2011, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Madisonville, KY
9 posts, read 9,695 times
Reputation: 11
Murray in Calloway County, Owensboro in Daviess County, or Madisonville in Hopkins County.

Madisonville and Owensboro are both close to Evansville, IN (A decent sized city). Madisonville being 45 minutes away and Owensboro about 20 - 30.

Madisonville is also close to Nashville, which is nice (1hr 45 minutes).

Madisonville:
Cops are highest paid in the State
Fire Fighters are one of the highest (if not the highest) paid in the state.
In the city, drug use is low.
I know several people who have graduated from the public schools and have gotten scholarships all over the country (I graduated from them as well, and it's not too bad.)
Family - Friendly, we are growing and our Local government is focusing on making the city better. It's very safe, and they are adding a lot more community activities (such as the 4th of July celebration in the park for the community).
A lot of doctors live here from out of country, as well as Latinos from Mexico, and some Chinese, so fitting in with an accent shouldn't be any big deal.
In the past few years we have added several businesses, restaurants, and hotels (anything you read that is pre-2010 for our town really isn't accurate now).
Most every house has a yard, and if you get a little out of city limits you can find acres.
Housing is 20% lower than the national average (price wise).
Our Hospital (Regional Medical Center) has improved 10-fold and has now made the top 100 list for hospitals in the country. It is the biggest employer and has the ability to send patients to specialized centers (such as St. Mary's or Vanderbilt) relatively fast.
As for High Speed internet, NewWave Cable has it. They have Wifi available now too. It's reliable, fast, and they manage to fix any outages (Don't have many) within 20 minutes or so.

It's a great town, and it is growing and progressing rapidly. We have several jobs (from Factories, to Healthcare, to Law) and are improving the town every day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2011, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Near L.A.
4,111 posts, read 10,342,507 times
Reputation: 3434
cdp654,

I am originally from the Madisonville area and most of the above is true, I'm not sure that M'ville qualifies as a nice town. In fact, whenever I go back w/ my family, we always comment about how dumpy and unkempt it is in some parts.

And, while I've met enough friendly people from there, I've actually experienced more road rage toward ME (for whatever reason) than I EVER have anywhere in the United States. That INCLUDES places such as Lexington, Louisville, Cincinnati, L.A., San Francisco, Atlanta, Raleigh, etc. In fact, I've had people give me the thank you WAVE (with all FIVE fingers) in freaking L.A. for allowing them in to traffic; not in little po-dunk Madisonville.

However, the town is a huge improvement from the 1970s-1990s when the region was still suffering from the severe declines in coal mining. Its economy is relatively healthier now than it was during those years. Plus, Downtown has made some notable improvements and the expanded/remodeled Hopkins County Library will be nice when finished.

Keepin' it real,
EclecticEars
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2011, 07:43 AM
 
Location: The Bluegrass State
391 posts, read 799,669 times
Reputation: 265
Maybe Danville?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2011, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,826 posts, read 13,841,106 times
Reputation: 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp654 View Post
Murray in Calloway County, Owensboro in Daviess County, or Madisonville in Hopkins County.

Madisonville and Owensboro are both close to Evansville, IN (A decent sized city). Madisonville being 45 minutes away and Owensboro about 20 - 30.

Madisonville is also close to Nashville, which is nice (1hr 45 minutes).

Madisonville:
Cops are highest paid in the State
Fire Fighters are one of the highest (if not the highest) paid in the state.
In the city, drug use is low.
I know several people who have graduated from the public schools and have gotten scholarships all over the country (I graduated from them as well, and it's not too bad.)
Family - Friendly, we are growing and our Local government is focusing on making the city better. It's very safe, and they are adding a lot more community activities (such as the 4th of July celebration in the park for the community).
A lot of doctors live here from out of country, as well as Latinos from Mexico, and some Chinese, so fitting in with an accent shouldn't be any big deal.
In the past few years we have added several businesses, restaurants, and hotels (anything you read that is pre-2010 for our town really isn't accurate now).
Most every house has a yard, and if you get a little out of city limits you can find acres.
Housing is 20% lower than the national average (price wise).
Our Hospital (Regional Medical Center) has improved 10-fold and has now made the top 100 list for hospitals in the country. It is the biggest employer and has the ability to send patients to specialized centers (such as St. Mary's or Vanderbilt) relatively fast.
As for High Speed internet, NewWave Cable has it. They have Wifi available now too. It's reliable, fast, and they manage to fix any outages (Don't have many) within 20 minutes or so.

It's a great town, and it is growing and progressing rapidly. We have several jobs (from Factories, to Healthcare, to Law) and are improving the town every day.
This was a very good post. I grew up in the area and lived there the first 40 years of my life. Been gone almost 20 now, but I would go back there in a heartbeat if Oldham County wasn't so great.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:43 PM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top