U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:53 PM

50 posts, read 74,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Mamma View Post
Thanks for everyones help!!!! Y'all on the Kentucky forum are so nice, I got attacked when I posted on the Texas forum and was told to stay in Mississippi because they don't want a neighbor like me

I'm sorry that happened to you =(
But don't feel bad, there's one of those everywhere. One person even posted a youtube link for a yankee-hating song as a response to one of my questions.
Good luck on your search for a place in KY.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 02:31 AM

9 posts, read 9,689 times
There doesn't seem to be any advocates for Madisonville here. It's a great town. Some folks (especially those who haven't been here in the last few years) may say otherwise, but it's progressing nicely, has a low crime rate, and has a lot of expected growth.

The I-69 Corridor is coming through and expected to bring A LOT to our town. We have added several restaurants and hotels in the last year, and most of the town is boosting its appearance.

The prospected growth is really high due to the I-69.
The police and fire are top paid in the state, and the hospital has improved 10 fold (and is the Hub for Western Kentucky).

There are 2 major cities within driving distance. Nashville 1 hour 45 minutes south and Evansville 45 minutes North.

The economy has turned around in our town, and there are a lot of jobs available.

You also have a lot of friendly people around town that will help you if you need it.

Anything else you need to know, just ask.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:31 PM

119 posts, read 349,932 times
I will check out Madisonville too, thanks for your perspective on it. Kentucky has a whole seems to have less crime than Mississippi (even though ours is only localized to specific parts). I am actually really excited about coming up this summer!

And to the poster about why I am leaving Hattiesburg- Yes the people here are FANTASTIC and top notch, I just wan't a smaller town! Surprisingly this area is growing quite fast (for Mississippi) and I wan't to start my family in a smaller place. I am just looking all over the South (Mississippi, Texas, Kentucky, Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas) for the right town. Me and my boyfriend are going to take a "Southern Road-trip" this summer and stop by in all the towns people mention to us.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:56 AM

10,267 posts, read 16,014,655 times
cdp has a good point about Madisonville. It's also a good town. My son and his family live there.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:27 PM

7 posts, read 12,707 times
Default JavaJava

Murray is a great town, University located in Murray, they have great schhols for kids, Murray residents are active in facilitating for family, children and many other needs for their community. I lived there
for 14 years. I live in Paducah, KY now. I would still be in Murray, but my Ex lives there and just decided to relocate. Murray is great for you as an adult too. The College offers so much for developing yourself for a career or to change careers. We have 2 huge manmade lakes all around this area. Many of us like to spend time with family and friends on or near Lake Barkley or Kentucky Lake. We waterski, kneeboard, fish, boatride, etc... Paducah had great entertainment in the Summers at "Downtown After Dinner each Saturday evening and night. I would look into the area in general: Paducah=McCracken County; Murray = Calloway County, Marshall County ?? if you live on the lake; Lyon County on Lake Barkley. We have smaller counties with good schools and low crime areas---people living here go to Murray, Paducah, the lake areas for entertainment. WE have awesome Barbeque, great seafood at Whaler's Catch & just about any other kind of food you desire. WE are about 1 to 2 hours from Nashville, 3 hours from Memphis, 2 1/2 to 3 hours to St. Louis, 3 hours to Louisville. I am 52 years old, born and raised in a small county bordering McCracken County / Paducah, then off to Murray for part of my education. We have plenty of jobs for hospitals, schools, corrections (we have 2 prisons; 1 female and one male, several other state related jobs too. Many restaurant jobs, etc
Quote:
Hey y'all,

I'm looking for a smaller town for me and my boyfriend to move to and start a family. We currently live in Hattiesburg, Mississippi and are looking throughout the South. I am not quite sure if Kentucky has a Southern culture, though. I want a town of 20,000 or less that not to many Northerners have moved to. I hear good things about Murray, Madisonville, and Danville. Can y'all Kentuckians help out a Mississippi Girl?!

Thanks!
-Megan

Old 04-22-2011, 09:24 PM

10,267 posts, read 16,014,655 times
Hey, Java! Don't forget us over here in Cadiz and Trigg County on Barkley. lol

Old 04-25-2011, 10:33 PM

8,754 posts, read 9,770,911 times
Quote:
I will check out Madisonville too, thanks for your perspective on it. Kentucky has a whole seems to have less crime than Mississippi (even though ours is only localized to specific parts). I am actually really excited about coming up this summer!

And to the poster about why I am leaving Hattiesburg- Yes the people here are FANTASTIC and top notch, I just wan't a smaller town! Surprisingly this area is growing quite fast (for Mississippi) and I wan't to start my family in a smaller place. I am just looking all over the South (Mississippi, Texas, Kentucky, Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas) for the right town. Me and my boyfriend are going to take a "Southern Road-trip" this summer and stop by in all the towns people mention to us.

That is a great idea. I didn't mean to be nosy...lol. My family from Mississippi and Louisiana love this area of southern Kentucky btw so you might also. It is really quite similar in culture to your area.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,039 times
I live near Madisonville in the small community of White Plains. We are rural with a population of approx 800. Our county seat is Madisonville. I would recommend Hopkins County to anyone. We are a group of people with neighbors that help out, stores that are "hometown", and are in fact close enough to larger cities as cited above. Come on out to our area and experience a welcome feeling.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:48 AM

7 posts, read 12,707 times
THe Trigg County area has many pluses for Western KY too. Didn't mean to leave you out on my previous post. Great food, one of the best areas to live or visit for Lake Barkley. Barkley Lodge State Resort pretty good too. I would have to say much of my 35 years boating, skiing and fishing have found that Lake Barkley is a great area to vacation or live. Overall a low crime area. SOme great restaurants, fantastic fishing, great entertainment & short drive to Nashville if you want the big city entertainment.
Lake Barkley is the greatest for fishing. I mostly Bass fish, but love to fish & eat crappie, catfish, bluegill, sauger. We are sport fishermen, so we usually catch and release our Bass. Great boating & jetskiing on Lake Barkley too.
Very Good marinas, many with restaurants or very short walking distance restaurants, hotels, campgrounds, resorts, etc...
I would give Lake Barkley a "10" on a scale of 1 to 10. If you like the water &/or fishing---you have to visit lake Barkley!!!!

Old 06-21-2011, 08:03 AM

12 posts, read 14,185 times
I live outside of Owensboro, and anywhere around the Owensboro area would be a great place to move.

Home prices are good, and Owensboro actually has a lot of job opprutunities if you just keep looking. It is also a growing city, not so much in population, but in activities and shopping.

I live 15 miles from one of the busiest places in Owensboro (HWY 54 area), and I am still in the middle of the country. I see deer and turkey on a regular basis, which is good for me, since I am a hunter!

Owensboro has good schools, and 3 colleges. One of the colleges (WKU-O) is growing every year. That is the college I graduated from, with my Bachelors.

You may want to give the Owensboro area a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky