U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 05:10 PM

6,753 posts, read 14,888,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Please note: the above (im)poster is from Indiana and lives in North Carolina.
Really??????? Thanks Census.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 11:28 PM

7 posts, read 73,058 times
I live in a family with two different ethnicities and I don't see any racism. I live in Shelbyville, east of Louisville. I grew up in Louisville and there were children of all races in my school and it's gotten even more diverse over the years (I graduated in the 80's. I am old!)

I think there are many areas in Louisville that are green and gorgeous, such as J-town, Middletown and areas around there. And you can always move just east of Louisville to Oldham County or Shelby County and experience true rural country living and still be only 20-30 minutes from the city.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:24 AM

1 posts, read 5,279 times
Default Why not let your kids feel more comfortable in a black neighborhood?

Just curious, and I`m honestly interested in the answer. because its occured to me so many times... why is it that white women who have children with black men almost never want to live in a predominantly black community?

I understand, and agree you and I are all free to live anywhere we want, and I honestly hope you find a good place for you and your kids. But.. every single time I see white women who have had black kids they are never trying to live in predominately or even 50/50 black areas. They always want to run back to nice, clean, no crime, inexpensive, 100 % white areas.. always.

Predominately black areas are ``the way they are`` without exception across the entire US... i know i`ve lived and worked in `em. Almost no one really dislikes blacks or anyone else because of their skin color.

Blacks have a problem today almost exclusively because of BEHAVIOR, which has ruined every city they move to in numbers. IS that `racist` to say?.. im sorry, the reality is, its true.

You had to have considered this when you had kids, that they would want to experience the black community, didnt you?

Why do you seek a overwhelmingly white locale, deliberately, that you know in advance is all white, and in advance suggest that you face racism?... Something tells me you want to induce some kind of `heroic` situation where you imagine bravely protect your innocent black children from nasty white meanies, and you know in a black area you cant live out this screwy fantasy, because you will almost certainly get burglarized and and/or robbed by people of your kids ancestry?

I frankly think you have some underlying `personal issues` leading to the bad decisions you made in the past, and your internal rationale for what you are doing now. Sorry, but I think you need to sort out what it is that is motivating/driving you. Good Luck.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:29 PM

8,761 posts, read 5,236,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burt cummins View Post
Just curious, and I`m honestly interested in the answer. because its occured to me so many times... why is it that white women who have children with black men almost never want to live in a predominantly black community?

I understand, and agree you and I are all free to live anywhere we want, and I honestly hope you find a good place for you and your kids. But.. every single time I see white women who have had black kids they are never trying to live in predominately or even 50/50 black areas. They always want to run back to nice, clean, no crime, inexpensive, 100 % white areas.. always.

Predominately black areas are ``the way they are`` without exception across the entire US... i know i`ve lived and worked in `em. Almost no one really dislikes blacks or anyone else because of their skin color.

Blacks have a problem today almost exclusively because of BEHAVIOR, which has ruined every city they move to in numbers. IS that `racist` to say?.. im sorry, the reality is, its true.

You had to have considered this when you had kids, that they would want to experience the black community, didnt you?

Why do you seek a overwhelmingly white locale, deliberately, that you know in advance is all white, and in advance suggest that you face racism?... Something tells me you want to induce some kind of `heroic` situation where you imagine bravely protect your innocent black children from nasty white meanies, and you know in a black area you cant live out this screwy fantasy, because you will almost certainly get burglarized and and/or robbed by people of your kids ancestry?

I frankly think you have some underlying `personal issues` leading to the bad decisions you made in the past, and your internal rationale for what you are doing now. Sorry, but I think you need to sort out what it is that is motivating/driving you. Good Luck.

Who are you to tell this person that having their children was "a bad decision". Do you think she loves them any less because they are biracial? Let her know where you live, because I am sure she does not want to relocate anywhere near you.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:29 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,652,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedfnaz View Post
You all have been great keeping information on here about different places. I still have not made a decision on where I am going. For awhile I was leaning towards Lexington, Richmond area. Now, I am all over the place again. I know I need to just go and visit and see what I like. Louisville sounds very pretty, with alot more tree areas than Lexington. I havent researched Paducah yet. I will have to look.
Been a very busy last two weeks for me. Nursing school starts back in the morning for me, my girls started back to school 2 weeks ago, not to mention work. Today, I was just dwelling on the fact that I wish I could just pack up and move today, and wished I didn't have to wait for nursing school to end. But I have to stay focused and finish school. If anyone prays keep me up in one.
Have a blessed day
Kat
Howdy! Paducah is very pretty! VERY GREEN! Hmmm I didn't think Louisville was that green compared to rural Kentucky, but just being honest if you like Kentucky Louisville/Lexington would be your best bet, a lil more diverse, the rest of Kentucky is very rural, very conservative and you get racism anywhere, heck I have seen racism in the most liberal of places in California and the New England where they like to say they are so cultured and open-minded and diverse, a bag of BS. It's the same everywhere. The sad truth is yes there are backwards people everywhere still today being 2008 but I can understand that you don't want your kids sticking out like a sore thumb either and cities are the ones who usually offer more of a diversity.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:25 AM

8,761 posts, read 5,236,102 times
Bowling Green also has a very diverse population. It comes as a surprise to many that Bowling Green is an international refuge city that offers asylum for many immigrants.

Bowling Green International Center

Old 04-26-2008, 07:58 AM

139 posts, read 18,984 times
Where there is freedom of choice there will always be discrimination. Discrimination in itself is neither good, nor bad. Its like a 'fact'. A fact alone is only a fact...it is neither right, nor wrong;neither good, nor bad. Context gives the fact its truth value and THAT is where the debate is balanced. Teaching children proper attitudes toward making a choice will free them from the straightjacket of prejudice and bigotry.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:51 PM

137 posts, read 292,396 times
Default Race Relations for the most part are good IMO...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedfnaz View Post
Hello, I live in Arizona and I have 2 daughters that are black, and I would love to move to a place where it is green with lots of trees. Out here an average house is $250,000 and those are about 1500 and less square feet, with no land, barely a backyard, and if you reach outside of your window, and your neighbor does the same, you can actually join hands. Lets not forget the two seasons we have...HOT and HOTTER...lol.... I don't own a jacket. The worst part of it all, everyone has rocks for landscaping....no grass. But I am scared to move as much as I want to. Out here KY is known for its racism. I want my daughters to grow up in a safe environment, where the pigmentation of their skin rules their life. I am a nurse so, finding a job is not an issue. I know I would probably need to stay within a city, as much as I don't want to. So, if someone could give me some suggestions on a few locations I would appreciate it. I would like at least a half an acre a more, with an average size home. More outside of a major city (suburbs).
Thanks
In Kentucky, I have only lived in NKY so I can only speak for that area. In terms of the rest of KY, I am not sure. I am a Caucasian married to an Asian and thus have a daughter who is mixed. In NKY we have felt discriminated against at times. I am not sure if it the fact that people feel as though they can't relate to us or don't want to be challenged by trying to understand my wife's accent or what the case may be. To be honest, just because we have felt that people were discriminating against us in some way doesn't necessarily mean that they were, we have both just felt that way at times. Needless to say, if you do move to KY I would opt to live in the city hands down, as you mentioned you would. In the city I have found that people are much more accepting to minorities, but then again I could be wrong. All in all, what I have told you has been our experience here and you can't always trust, just your experience. Overall, I believe the race relations in the South are better than up North. At least, that has been my experience.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 8,444 times
Smile discrimination

I don't think it's nearly as bad as it once was. I would recommend doing some research on specific areas but you will likely be surprised how little discrimination you'll encounter. Most people are "live and let live" types and they're open to getting to know you regardless of your differences. As a gay couple (one with mixed race nephew who lived here for a while--and niece), we've encountered some bigotry in our 30+ years here, but much less than you'd expect. If people come to know you and like you, you'll find they defend you against the hatred others might have. It hasn't really been too bad at all for us here in redneckland. It's actually a great place to live.

Mike Grimes
REMAX, DreamWorld Properties
Grand Rivers, KY
toll free: 877-376-9753

Old 05-05-2008, 10:08 PM

5 posts, read 16,800 times
I lived in pikeville for some years now. It has it ups and downs. Where to start? Well! You have your nice people and you have your bad people. I am a African American, They are not use to Black People in that area. When I first came here, I was unsure about Pikeville. I came up to play football for the college. The closer I got to Pikeville the more people said they never heard of it. So I Was really nervous. I thought I was on a wild goose chase. Came up to play football where the recruited lots of African Americans from South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Florida, Alabama and So on. They Criticize the football team in the newspaper saying that the college went out and recruited gang bangers, drug dealers and Rapers. I am like what did I get myself into. The people will stare at you like you are some kind of Alien. These are the ignorant people in Pikeville. Who only Portray Black people by what the see on TV. I guess that is common for some people there. My first Hillbilly day Festival, we had Spring football practice during the time it was going on. I heard things from students about going down there because the KKK are going to be there. On my way to the Gym to get read for practice this truck rove by with writing on the side that said #1 Clan, I freakout. I called home told my mom I am not putting up with this BS the Klan is riding around town. They explained to me that it was the shriners yada yada. I am like whatever. I told coach he had to cancel practice or we are not going to practice. Some of the football players where hooking up with these White girls and there families where finding out and threathning to come kill them, some girls were disowned by there families. The next thing is that when I when I call over the phone about an apartment to rent it is available. No one hasn't came by to look at they say you are the first, but when you get there to look at it the tell you that we have someone renting it. SOUNDS LIKE RACISM TO ME, My friends rented this apartment up in Chloe Three Black Football players, These girls will always come over to sit and talk and there other neihbor which where a white guy tell the girls don't go over there sit with Coons they are bad business, So the girls told my friends about what this guy said. They brushed it off. A week later they were sleep in the apartment and they smelled smoke. They guy tried to burn them up iun the house when they were sleeping. Talk about ROSEWOOD. From then on I start calling the the state of Kentucky (KLANTUCKY) They got had previous charges for arson. He didn't go to jail or anything. LOL, I know!!!!! The other bad thing about Pikeville is the weather. The weather changes every 20 minutes. Well the good thing is that all people are not like that in Pikeville, They take you under there wings. The churches provide alot for the town. They are the cornerstone of the city. I love every church that I went to there. They treat you like you are family. Going to college 9 hours alone without family you need that from a town that is Predominately White, I mean like 400-1. I met my fiance there in Pikeville, her family is the best thing that ever happen to me. They never once look at me in diffrent way. Never ask her why she want to date a black man. They took me for who I am. When we go out to eat the stares we get. Good OLE Pikeville. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky