U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:24 PM

5 posts, read 35,508 times

Advertisements

Kentucky gets the bad rap of the deal alot of times...remember Deliverance!!! Only a movie, not real.

But anyway...

Kentucky is not what it was many years ago. I grew up in south eastern Kentucky and this is an area that you may want to avoid. If you move to the larger cities Lexington, Louisville, and the western part, you will have no problem. There is some rural areas that you will have a problem with. However, I live in the north right now and honestly the racism is just as bad here as it is in KY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 08:55 AM

9 posts, read 21,864 times
I have lived in the southern and the northern parts of Kentucky and for the most part people are kind and friendly. However that's not to say that racism does not still exist. You'll find the more diverse population in the bigger cities. I can't tell you that Ky is up to date because they are not. I can tell you that much has changed in the last 30 years and people are more acceptable to change than they used to be. Not all kentuckians are hicks or rednecks. Many people from other states have admitted to how wrong their perception of Kentucky was. It is a beautiful state with many horse farms. The down side of living here would be Allergies. If you have them this is not the place for you, Louisville was ranked #1 as the worst for allergies in 2008.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:37 AM

200 posts, read 732,237 times
Some of the most racist people I have ever met are from Ohio.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:36 PM

1,899 posts, read 4,153,953 times
No it's not safe to move to Kentucky as there are no black people here.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:01 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,955,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
That's hilarious! There are plenty of black people here. Where did you get that from?

Old 04-25-2009, 09:02 PM

1,899 posts, read 4,153,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
That's hilarious! There are plenty of black people here. Where did you get that from?
I thought it was obvious that I was being facetious........

Old 04-26-2009, 06:48 AM

23,648 posts, read 33,445,874 times
Quote:
Then those folks i saw in Hardin and Meade counties and Louisville had really really dark tans?

To the OP, i'm a African-American male and i think I will be really happy in Kentucky.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:01 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,955,891 times
Quote:
I thought it was obvious that I was being facetious........
Honey you would be surpised by the things people say about Kentucky and mean it. Sorry I didn't catch that!

Old 04-29-2009, 10:36 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,232,236 times
In terms of discrimination, it depends on where in Kentucky you go. Most of Kentucky will not judge individually by the color of skin; however, in MUCH of Kentucky, I can honestly say that concepts such as bi-racial relationships, marriages and children are still very taboo. In fact, in some enclaves it would be very heavily frowned upon. "Birds of a feather [should] flock together" would be the appropriate adage for these areas. Thankfully, in communities such as Louisville, Lexington, Frankfort, Northern Kentucky, Bowling Green, and Owensboro, people wouldn't give a hoot.

Some communities that I promise you would want to avoid if you're concerned about racial issues (more than taboos, just racists in general) include:
(a) Madisonville and many of the immediately surrounding counties, like Webster, Caldwell and Muhlenberg
(b) The western 2/3 of Bullitt County (south suburban Louisville)
(c) Most of southeast Kentucky in general--most certainly Corbin, but also Williamsburg, Middlesboro, Hazard, etc.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,372 times
wat about Harlan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or