Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 06:23 AM

4,243 posts, read 7,149,511 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a quick road trip to Maysville/Washington, taking a freind there since he's into antiques and has heard of the place as a good antique destination. I know there are some antique places in Washington, so that wont be a proble to find.

Eating out is what Id like advice on...

I'm interested in good restaurants in the area for lunch. And if there is anything like a farmers market in Maysville, or a place where you can pick up local foods, etc.

I know Washington is pretty small and probably doesnt have much in the way of restaurants, so would like recommendations for Maysville proper.

@@@

Finally, how long is it to Lexington from Maysville? I was thinking of driving down to Lex for dinner, then back to Ohio via I-75. If the travel time isnt too bad from Maysville to Lexington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 10:20 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,834,226 times
Don't miss the Kentucky Doll and Toy Museum in Carlisle, just down the road! It's delightful - located on Main Street in an old, rehabbed storefront, this small museum is a jewel. Check ahead to make sure it's open, though. While there, be sure to see the wonderful large set of handmade Coronation dolls from Liberty's of London. There's also a new antique mall/flea market just up the street, with varied contents in the different dealers' booths. The old Jailer's House in Carlisle, down the street from the doll museum, offers nice lunches in charming surroundings. Again, check ahead or make reservations.

Blue Licks State Park is located between Carlisle and Maysville, and has an excellent restaurant, along with a good small museum. It's a very, very historic place - the site of the last battle of the American Revolution, an Indian massacre, and a buffalo trace previously traveled by woolly mammoths and other early animals, whose bones have been found around the salt lick which gave this place its name. Actually, you and your friend might want to make a two-day trip of it and rent a cabin at Blue Licks to use as a base while exploring this scenic area.

Maysville's large new local history museum is outstanding for a community of this size. It includes lots about Ohio River history (might want to check flood levels on the Ohio prior to your trip, btw) and also includes a remarkable and comprehensive dollhouse and miniature collection, equal to Chicago's famous Thorne Rooms. The highlight is a replica of Spencer House in London, the city home of Diana's family. Well worth seeing.

Old Washington is very small - its Main Street is lined with antique and craft shops, many housed in original log cabins. Just walk up and down - they're everywhere! I seem to remember some ice cream parlors and sandwich shops are located here.

Lexington is about two hours from Maysville - Carlisle is the half-way point, if I remember correctly. Blue Licks would be about half an hour or 45 minutes from the Maysville/Old Washington area. But if you make these recommended stops along the way, your trip will take longer. It takes about 90 minutes to two hours to get to Cincinnati from Lexington via I-75, depending on road conditions and just where you're heading in Cincy.

US 68 travels through the heart of the famed Bluegrass as you drive between Paris and Lexington - the road is lined with drystone walls and thoroughbred horse farms. The locust trees will bloom in May, making for an almost ethereal experience when traveling through this beautiful countryside.

Hope this helps - sorry I can't suggest Maysville restaurants, as the last time I was there, we had a catered box lunch as part of a tour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky