U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2006, 12:03 AM

4 posts, read 11,019 times

Advertisements

My father and his family were originally from Whitesburg and surrounding area. I am looking for another job and would just love to move to Whitesburg or closeby. I haven't been there in about 15-20 years. I remember the area being so beautiful and everyone I met were just the nicest people!
I was wondering if anyone could give me a "heads up" on how the employment situation is down there? Are there any factories, or any larger employers in the area that would offer insurance, etc, for a body to make a living.

Thanks for reading and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dixie Banks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 11:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,375 times
Just saw your toehr thread, from 15-20 years ago a few small things have changed.

The bank that was beside wal-mart is gone, drug problem is not a total virus taking over but you hear about it here and there, nobody really gives it a second thought.

No real jobs to speak of, whitesburg high school is closed down, they build a new HS on the hill where subway is (maybe was then to).

People are still great, everyone still knows everyone and the Swap Shop is still the most loved radio show in the area

All in all not much has changed that would affect the area or the living situation.

Come in between Sept 25-30 for the Mountain Heritage Festival and live a few days to bring back some good memories

Old 05-19-2007, 09:36 AM

3 posts, read 7,750 times
I feel the need to warn you about Whitesburg and Letcher County, as I have been here for a while now, and am trying my hardest to Leave.

Drugs are a huge problem, mostly due to the acceptance of them as a part of everyday life. Its not so much Meth (Thankfully) like other parts of SE Ky, but Prescription Pain medication that is the plauge here. (A LOT of people are missing a LOT of teeth just to get the drugs that go along with having them pulled...)

There are No jobs here, anywhere. Forget about insurance, any real benefits, and decent pay. There are only "mom and pop" type stores that dont have the need for any employees, fast-food, and wal-mart. Coal mining is extremly difficult to get a job in if you have no experence, and a few weeks ago there was a sizable lay-off at a few strip-mines. The hospital in Whitesburg fired a lot of people because of the strike, (they only hired back a very select few), and despite being severly under-staffed, they wont hire anyone else. The Jenkins hospital is reportedly being purchased by the Wellmont group so possibly that may bring a few jobs around if your profession is health-care. There aren't any factories (just a RC bottling plant in the Neon area).
Long story short--if you dont have a college education, you will not get a 'good job' here, (the only option being working at food city supermarket or wal-mart), and if you do, without any 'connections' to someone that is in charge of hiring, you will prob. be working there anyhow.

The county is very next to dead, and any beauty that was here, has prob. been strip-mined away. Almost everyone that I've met seem to have a chip on their shoulder about something, and are amoung the rudest people I have ever had the misfortune of encountering anywhere.

London, Ky. and the Somerset area is really your best bet if you're looking for any kind of industrial job, I've heard there are a few out there (though I've not personally been). Pikeville is a smaller type place, with a few jobs, but not much more really (no factories, coal-based econ.) Hazard is a little larger, with some nice jobs, every once in a while.

Dont get me wrong, some people can have a good life here, but it seems those are the people in power around the county, or those who own the mines where others work. Theres not any real way for anyone else to go about it though. Everyone lives piled up on one another, and looks for anything to do to get money (i had an old hot-water heater i recently changed, and within 2 days had 7 people ask if they could have it to sell for the scrap-metal in it).

I belive thats why the drug problem is so bad, personally. Its not that anyone around here is lazy really, its just that theres no real way out of here for many people, and they do it because of depression.

And I dont mean to offend anyone with anything I wrote, as some of the older residents of Letcher County have some sort of fierce pride about this place, but no one I've met under 35 years old (with the exception of my wife, I moved here because this is where she was 'born and raised') agree.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:55 AM

715 posts, read 1,407,694 times
I'm going to get some major league flaming for this, but I agree 100% percent with the above poster. I live in Laurel County, and there is NO way I would move east of the London/Corbin/Somerset area. There is a bad drug problem (meth, pain pills) in all of Eastern KY including the areas I mentioned. Local law enforcement is either undermanned to deal with the problem or they turn a blind eye when some money is flashed. Either way, the drug problem is not being handled and anyone on here that lives in SE Kentucky should be honest and agree. Second, unless you like coal mines, fast food or Wal-Mart..there is not much to do in regards to work. There was a major strike at the ARH (Appalachian Regional Hospitals) in the past two months. Getting on a ARH hospital was not easy to begin with, I would think the strike would make it near impossible. Again I'm sorry to write all of this, but it's true. If you ask me to identify positives, I could only think of natural beauty and SOME of the people are the nicest in the world. Still, others come across with a big chip on their shoulder. Good luck to wherever you locate, but I would think long and hard about relocating to southeastern Kentucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or