Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:44 AM

241 posts, read 1,335,289 times

Advertisements

Every year, when we get our first warm spell (daytime temperatures above 60 degrees or so), our area sees an explosion of Asian lady beetles like those pictured above. These are not lady bugs, but a pesky relative. Unlike lady bugs, these little punks will bite (pinch is probably more accurate) and if you crush them, they give off a nasty smell.

Somehow they always manage to get into homes--everyone I know in this area has the problem. We find clusters of them around windows, on ceilings, and just about everywhere else. On the worst days, the sun room in our house may have a couple hundred of these things crawling and flying around. This swarm of lady beetles usually only lasts a few weeks and then they disappear. I've done some research, and it seems that they generally crawl into walls and attics where they wait to emerge until another cold to warm temperature cycle.

I imagine we must have thousands of these beetles in our walls. Fortunately, the beetles aren't destructive. They're just very annoying.

I'm curious if other areas of the state have problems with these bugs. Also, has anyone found an effective way to get rid of them? They're so small, I doubt it's possible to completely seal a home against them. And if even if you can get to their hiding places when they go dormant, I understand that they're very resistant to most pesticides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 10:18 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,309,023 times
Yes, highly effective way to take care of them is to get out the vacuum cleaner. It really does work.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:18 AM

241 posts, read 1,335,289 times
Oh, I always keep my trusty 6.5-hp shop vac handy during beetle season. I just wish there was a way to flush them out of their nesting places without having to knock out walls and pull-up insulation.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:22 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times
A co-worker was just saying today that her mother had that problem last year here in Louisville (actually Shively...)

Old 03-12-2008, 06:55 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
Those little critters invade us over here in east Ky too..We lived in a story and a half (old aluminum siding) dormer windows with attics on each sides of the upstairs windows and a basement..They were there by the thousands 2-three times a year..only from late october until the first warm day in March were they not a pest..We sold that house and now live in a brick ranch, no basement and I may find a dead one or two on the sunny window in the tv room..A painter told me that they are more attracted to the colors of gray, beige and tans than brick..He said they also hide under the shingles of your roof..We have a metal roof here..

Old 03-13-2008, 10:27 AM

528 posts, read 2,480,542 times
we used to get them in Maine, too..so they aren't just a southern thang . A shop vac is your friend....

Old 03-13-2008, 11:48 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
I sprayed the bug coated ceiling in my bathroom with a flying insect spray. When they started falling it sounded like it was raining in there. The vacuum works on them dead or alive! lol

Old 03-13-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I sprayed the bug coated ceiling in my bathroom with a flying insect spray. When they started falling it sounded like it was raining in there. The vacuum works on them dead or alive! lol
Oh my goodness!

Old 03-13-2008, 09:32 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,165,376 times
Llearn somthing everyday...I thought they were lady bugs. That explains why some buidlings and areas have them and others don't. WKU has a terrible problem with them in some of their old buildings. The window sills are covered with them.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Llearn somthing everyday...I thought they were lady bugs. That explains why some buidlings and areas have them and others don't. WKU has a terrible problem with them in some of their old buildings. The window sills are covered with them.
If they are the ones I am thinking of they are more orange/yellow than red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky