U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 12:08 PM

123 posts, read 347,415 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about Kentucky weather myself. Planned to move back there this month, but have been forced to revise my plan. I did live in Lexington for 16 months. I can hardly remember a thing about the weather. There was a light snow once. I can remember being hot and sticky once or twice when I first got into the car. Apparently, weather in Lexington was sufficiently benign, it left no impression whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 12:26 PM

49 posts, read 139,499 times
I'm in Louisville, so most of my answer will apply to the weather around here. It's almost never grey. Sometimes the sun shines when it's raining, but not as often as that happens in Florida. The winter typically comes on hard in January and is over by March- and around here, "Winter" just means "That time when snow might happen." I remember some Christmases that were bright sunny short sleeve weather.

The worst thing about our weather is the humid heat in summer.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:09 PM

718 posts, read 1,454,783 times
The best weather, no doubt, is fall. From about mid october to late november, temps usually average from the 50's to mid 70's. The fall foliage and cool, crisp air make fall weekends very special here in Kentucky. If you have the chance drive out towards Natural Bridge or down towards Cumberland Falls. I guarantee you won't be disappointed by the scenery as you travel down I 75 south. The worst weather is basically what we are experiencing now. In my opinion, August is the pits here in Kentucky, the humidity and heat just linger for days on end it seems. Combine that with ragweed and goldenrod, which bloom in August, and you have a recipe for misery. Usually the heat and humidity starts to wind down around labor day or the weeks after. September is mostly transition from summer heat to the chill of fall. It's common in Sep to have 90 degrees one day then drop down to the low 70's a few days after. I wish I could write something appealing about winter, but personally I have found the recent winters in Kentucky to be a dud. Of course I'm a huge snow/cold lover so I have good reason to feel jaded about the recent winter weather. There are several stretches during the winter where you will have the furnace cranked up pretty good. Its not uncommon to see nighttime lows in the teens or single digits. As far as snow, its usually about 6 or 7 minor snows (about 1-2") with at least a couple yearly threats of a major storm (8" or more). The last huge storm that eastern Kentucky has experienced was back in 1998, when over 20 inches fell. Finally, a few words about Spring. Definitely a beautiful time of the year, but beware of mid spring and even late spring cold spells. We had a cold spell back in April that killed or stunted quite a bit of plant growth. It's also not unheard of to see a snowfall in march or early april. Spring is also the prime season for severe weather and tornadoes...no stranger to Kentucky. Most of the severe weather season runs from april to mid June, although severe weather can occur even in the fall. In the end, if you ask me the best time to be in Kentucky, I would have to say October and on into mid November.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:36 PM

508 posts, read 1,317,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Dunn View Post
Hello, well we are pretty much sold on moving to Kentucky, now the only nagging thing on my mind is the weather. I seem to get quite a bit of conflicting comments regarding the weather and temperatures.

I have mentioned in previous posts that we don't mind the seaons, actually look forward to them, obviously were expecting the rain, that is why it is so green and beautiful! What I don't like though is gloom.

Now my weather question is this:

First Winter............

When the rainy season does come, are we talking months on end of rain constantly, or on and off on a daily/weekly basis?

Are we talking something like Seattle, Washington type, constant grey, gloomy dreary for like 6 months, or just on and off again rain/light snow from Nov-Feb?

Some people over there call there winter "serious cold", or "you have to get use to the gray sky's", while other's say it is mild [obviously it depends on what you are use too] with clouds that roll in, on and off. Well were use to maybe 40-50's for those cold day's in the winter with a lot of sunny day's combined with overcast [marine layer days]. Obviously to get seasons I would expect colder. But are we talking 20-30 degree below freezing days over and over, or only the occasional serious cold day, with more average days hovering in the 40-50+ zone mid-day?

Then Summer............

I see that it rains a lot in the summer months too. Is this like for 20 minutes to maybe a hour, then it's clear for a day? Or are we talking all day down pours for day's on end? Or both?

Is Spring also a big rain time too?

These may be dumb questions, but from someone coming from Arid California and is use to very little rain and serious cold, I am concerned. Obviously we will adjust, just wondering how much a shock to the system it will be for me and my girls?

Thanks again to anyone in advance for your comments. Ciao.
You have to realize that KY borders the north. With that said, it will be a bit more cloudy during and a bit more cold during the winter than what people think of when they think about southern weather. On the flip side, not quite as hot. I believe Ky averages 198-200 sunny days and the deep south averages 220-230. Not a huge difference but there is one.

Months of constant rain?? Nope. Most places outside of the Pac NW have a rain distribution that is spread out. Ky is not exception. Spring and fall seem to produce showers whereas the summer/late spring produces t-storms b/c of the humidity.

20-30 below zero? Where are you getting your weather info - from Floridians or Californians? I would say 30-40+ degrees on avg in the winter with occasional cold snaps and warm ups. Lows at the night in the uppers 20-30s. The cold is pretty bearable when the sun is out. I admit, I dislike getting up and going out to a cold car or scraping off the frost off the windshield but it is a far cry from Minnesota.

It is a 4 season climate with spring and fall being fantastic. There aren't many perfect year round climates and there should be other things that draw people to an area -- other than climate.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:17 PM

4,728 posts, read 9,089,906 times
Smile Maybe this will help, K. Dunn

We have lived in many different regions of the US - PA, Michigan on Lake Erie, So.Carolina, Massachusetts, GA, as well as have spent time in every season in El Paso, TX with our son and his family. And, we have been fortunate enough to visit Kentucky during every season over the years.

We found that no matter what sort of climate we were used to living in for a few years, after the first year in a new area we totally adjusted no matter how big of a change.

You may miss certain extremes of your old home area, but the new one will have so many variations of its own, that you will probably adjust quickly. And, as others have noted, the change of seasons in KY is wonderful and each one relatively mild.

This has been our experience; perhaps others feel differently about making these climate adaptions.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:19 PM

21 posts, read 65,831 times
gemthornton, you are so right. You do adapt any place but it is so much easier in Kentucky because of the wonderful people that make you feel welcome.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:24 PM

4,728 posts, read 9,089,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusflower View Post
gemthornton, you are so right. You do adapt any place but it is so much easier in Kentucky because of the wonderful people that make you feel welcome.
I am learning that very quickly from this forum, cactusflower. Thanks to all for making us new members feel so welcome.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:17 PM

6,559 posts, read 13,763,536 times
I am surprised at this thread. Weather is one thing that is not opinion based. I would look at the statistical facts and compare climate data in a KY city to where you live:

National and Local Weather Forecast, Radar, Map and Report

has reliable info, and their stats come directly from NOAA.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:54 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,011,482 times
Default Human opinion or statistics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I am surprised at this thread. Weather is one thing that is not opinion based. I would look at the statistical facts and compare climate data in a KY city to where you live:

National and Local Weather Forecast, Radar, Map and Report

has reliable info, and their stats come directly from NOAA.
You know you can look at all the statistics you want when it comes to weather patterns, temperature, humidity, ect., [which we are] but you can only get the real deal from the people who live there. Example, stats won't tell me if it's foggy always in the morning, or when it rains, is it a constant for hours/days/weeks or on and off with breaks in-between? It is important to check both, the stats and the people to get the full story. We even have one of those weather widgets on our computer viewing several Kentucky cities weather on a daily basis to compare! I just like the human equation too. Ciao.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:24 AM

190 posts, read 747,268 times
Default Fog

Here's a bit of wisdom from my grandpa: He always told us that however many heavy fogs you get in October is how many heavy snows there will be that winter. I started keeping up with this several years ago, and suprisingly his "forecast tool" is pretty accurate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky