U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2007, 08:45 AM

5 posts, read 12,381 times

Advertisements

If weather is a concern, I'd look farther south. I have lived in Northern KY all my life, and my opinion is IT SUCKS! It's too cold in the winter, not warm enough in the spring, rains way too much, From November June, you will forget what the sun looks like. Of course that's just my opinion.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 08:38 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,011,094 times
Exclamation Yikes.

Thanks for your honesty. That is my worry. Ciao.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:13 PM

718 posts, read 1,453,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJohns View Post
If weather is a concern, I'd look farther south. I have lived in Northern KY all my life, and my opinion is IT SUCKS! It's too cold in the winter, not warm enough in the spring, rains way too much, From November June, you will forget what the sun looks like. Of course that's just my opinion.

I would love to see some of that rain you are referring to as we are suffering through the worst drought in 40 years. Everyone has an opinion, but I think you are painting a bleak picture here. There are plenty of sunny days between November and spring. As far as cold weather, the coldest daytime highs are usually in the teen and 20's...and they are few and far between. The typical winter day in Kentucky is usually upper 30's to mid 40's. there are also warm spells in winter where the temperature hits 50-60 degrees for a few days.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:58 PM

276 posts, read 714,738 times
I have lived in both CA as well as FL. Believe me! KY is a good balance; yet, the seasons are well defined. I am still attempting to move to KY. I don't blame you for wanting some sense of peace and quiet. I can't wait to get out of this perpetual swamp (FL)! Good luck!

Old 10-22-2007, 05:46 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,011,094 times
Haven't followed up on this thread in quite awhile. Since my last post we did do our first scope out of the Northern Kentucky area and while we loved the style of newer homes and some of the communities, we were dissappointed in the lack of any real towns [more strip malls], so now we have re-focused our research on the eastern and southern regions of Louisville, especially Oldham County due to it's great schools and proximity to a Big City with culture. I am coming back your way again in 2 weeks to now check out this area first hand. I haven't ruled out Lexington yet either since I was impressed with how clean it looked from what I did see driving in and out of LEX airport. Any sugguestions regarding specific area's to check out would be helpful.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:55 PM

2 posts, read 5,580 times
Umm...I have lived in Louisville Kentucky for about 16 yrs now. I moved from Harlan Kentucky when I turned 18. While I absolutely love what the city has to offer in terms of diversity, entertainment, and small town feel in a rather large city, I have to agree the weather here SUCKS. It can be 60 degrees in the winter with rain, CRAZY WIND, and in the matter of 30 minutes, drop 30 degrees, STILL be windy, and so cold you can feel it deep in your bones. The summers are dreadful with the intolerable humidity, which makes outdoor activites so much of a chore, you would rather say in...I would say if you are not concerned about the VERY unpredictable, miserable weather in Louisville, and are only concerned with what this city has to offer (which is ALOT), I recommend giving this grand city a try, but if you want a more reliable, comfortable and stable climate, I strongly recommend you find another place. I'm moving before next winter and I'm actively serching out more stable and predictable climates.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,796 times
I agree with loukentuckydude, the wheather here sucks azz! I remember one April day 2 years ago or so, maybe 3, I woke up and within 2 hrs it was sunny and 80 degrees...beautiful. I went to go pick my mother up at the airport a couple of hours later, a severe stormfront rolled through, and by 4 pm that afternoon it was freezing cold and F'en SNOWING in my back yard! I SWEAR TO GOD!!! I hate this sh-thole. It is either too hot, too cold, too much rain, not enough rain, CONSTANTLY windy. G.D. ice storms, which this last one in Jan of 2009 cost me over $2000.00 F'en dollars that I didn't have!!! This is the most crappy wheather I have ever had to endure in my life, and that is including the almost 3 years spent stationed in Germany, which is known for it's crappy wheather. I believe somewhere along the line I must have died, and in my previous life I was a real a-hole. I met my maker upon my death, and was condemed to an eternity of a frozen, wet miserable HELL that is the Commonwealth of Kentucky. What makes it worse is I can't leave. As far as Louivilles "culture", it's great if you are a liberal tree hugger...there's pleanty of that to go around. Not much else. Kentucky SUCKS!!!

Old 03-26-2009, 08:58 AM

200 posts, read 732,003 times
lol the reason you get such varying views on the weather in the state is because the state is very bipolar when it comes to weather. One day it can be 70 and the next it can be 0. But you mentioning northern Kentucky in particular as an area you may move to... The winters are usually a bit more harsh than in other parts of the state.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:44 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,861,884 times
Don't pay any attention to this negativity on the weather in Kentucky. We have four well defined seasons. The winters are usually rather mild, with a few really cold spells. The summers are hot and humid but very nice weather overall. It rains in the spring and fall but not an unusual amount. I do live in southern Kentucky where the weather may be a little better in the cooler months, but overall the climate is very nice. Spring and fall are absolutely gorgeous in Kentucky.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:24 PM

718 posts, read 1,453,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloKYdude View Post
I agree with loukentuckydude, the wheather here sucks azz! I remember one April day 2 years ago or so, maybe 3, I woke up and within 2 hrs it was sunny and 80 degrees...beautiful. I went to go pick my mother up at the airport a couple of hours later, a severe stormfront rolled through, and by 4 pm that afternoon it was freezing cold and F'en SNOWING in my back yard! I SWEAR TO GOD!!! I hate this sh-thole. It is either too hot, too cold, too much rain, not enough rain, CONSTANTLY windy. G.D. ice storms, which this last one in Jan of 2009 cost me over $2000.00 F'en dollars that I didn't have!!! This is the most crappy wheather I have ever had to endure in my life, and that is including the almost 3 years spent stationed in Germany, which is known for it's crappy wheather. I believe somewhere along the line I must have died, and in my previous life I was a real a-hole. I met my maker upon my death, and was condemed to an eternity of a frozen, wet miserable HELL that is the Commonwealth of Kentucky. What makes it worse is I can't leave. As far as Louivilles "culture", it's great if you are a liberal tree hugger...there's pleanty of that to go around. Not much else. Kentucky SUCKS!!!
Dude, do you need a warm fuzzy or what? Seriously, unless you're in the military or incarcerated, you can always leave. And don't pull the job or your spouse keeps you here excuse. If you hate this place so bad, it's time for a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky