U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 11:16 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,011,482 times

Advertisements

Hello, well we are pretty much sold on moving to Kentucky, now the only nagging thing on my mind is the weather. I seem to get quite a bit of conflicting comments regarding the weather and temperatures.

I have mentioned in previous posts that we don't mind the seaons, actually look forward to them, obviously were expecting the rain, that is why it is so green and beautiful! What I don't like though is gloom.

Now my weather question is this:

First Winter............

When the rainy season does come, are we talking months on end of rain constantly, or on and off on a daily/weekly basis?

Are we talking something like Seattle, Washington type, constant grey, gloomy dreary for like 6 months, or just on and off again rain/light snow from Nov-Feb?

Some people over there call there winter "serious cold", or "you have to get use to the gray sky's", while other's say it is mild [obviously it depends on what you are use too] with clouds that roll in, on and off. Well were use to maybe 40-50's for those cold day's in the winter with a lot of sunny day's combined with overcast [marine layer days]. Obviously to get seasons I would expect colder. But are we talking 20-30 degree below freezing days over and over, or only the occasional serious cold day, with more average days hovering in the 40-50+ zone mid-day?

Then Summer............

I see that it rains a lot in the summer months too. Is this like for 20 minutes to maybe a hour, then it's clear for a day? Or are we talking all day down pours for day's on end? Or both?

Is Spring also a big rain time too?

These may be dumb questions, but from someone coming from Arid California and is use to very little rain and serious cold, I am concerned. Obviously we will adjust, just wondering how much a shock to the system it will be for me and my girls?

Thanks again to anyone in advance for your comments. Ciao.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 05:51 AM

190 posts, read 747,268 times
Default Weather

I think most people agree that we really do have four very distinct seasons. Spring is usually marked by temps in the 60-70's, with occasional rain. Some years we get rain pretty much every day for a few weeks, to the dry years when it rains about every other week for one day. Summers are usually dry, but we seem to be drier than usual. Most the time during summer months we get "pop-up" scattered thunderstorms. Very seldom do we get large bands of rains that last over a day or two. We do have some pretty high humidity, though. This troubles quite a few of us, especially for people with breathing problems. Fall around here is wonderful. Low humidity, highs usually in the 60's, and occasional rain. If we have a little more rain then normal, the leaves are so much prettier, so very few people complain about the rains then. iI would estimate that it rains approximately 10 times a month during the fall, give or take a few. Winter-time can be strange. I remember several years ago, we had 9 inches of rain in December, in just over 2 weeks! There was some flooding in low-lying areas. Just a few years back the forecast called for a "dusting" and we got 18" of snow! Usually, thought, we see roughly 8-10 minor snows (1" or less), and some cold temps, mostly at night.

I'm sure you will love KY, and it's weather. Welcome home!
~joanna~

Old 08-02-2007, 06:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Dunn View Post
Hello, well we are pretty much sold on moving to Kentucky, now the only nagging thing on my mind is the weather. I seem to get quite a bit of conflicting comments regarding the weather and temperatures.

I have mentioned in previous posts that we don't mind the seaons, actually look forward to them, obviously were expecting the rain, that is why it is so green and beautiful! What I don't like though is gloom.

Now my weather question is this:

First Winter............

When the rainy season does come, are we talking months on end of rain constantly, or on and off on a daily/weekly basis?

Are we talking something like Seattle, Washington type, constant grey, gloomy dreary for like 6 months, or just on and off again rain/light snow from Nov-Feb?

Some people over there call there winter "serious cold", or "you have to get use to the gray sky's", while other's say it is mild [obviously it depends on what you are use too] with clouds that roll in, on and off. Well were use to maybe 40-50's for those cold day's in the winter with a lot of sunny day's combined with overcast [marine layer days]. Obviously to get seasons I would expect colder. But are we talking 20-30 degree below freezing days over and over, or only the occasional serious cold day, with more average days hovering in the 40-50+ zone mid-day?

Then Summer............

I see that it rains a lot in the summer months too. Is this like for 20 minutes to maybe a hour, then it's clear for a day? Or are we talking all day down pours for day's on end? Or both?

Is Spring also a big rain time too?

These may be dumb questions, but from someone coming from Arid California and is use to very little rain and serious cold, I am concerned. Obviously we will adjust, just wondering how much a shock to the system it will be for me and my girls?

Thanks again to anyone in advance for your comments. Ciao.
Anchorage KY Weather Center

Old 08-02-2007, 06:47 AM

4 posts, read 12,112 times
First of all, welcome in advance to Kentucky! I hope you enjoy it. Kentucky is a beautiful state with unpredictable weather. I've always heard it said, "If you don't like the weather, move to Kentucky...it will change tomorrow." I would have to say that is somewhat true. I would have to agree with Kichenwich...the seasons are very distinct. Fall is my personal favorite. There are so many beautiful colors! The temperature is great. Usually, you could go with shorts/tee or pants/sweatshirt and be fine either way. Not too hot, not too cold... There is usually quite a bit of rain in the fall but I LOVE rain...hence the sn "rainydays". I find the rain to be so relaxing and soothing. So, there really isn't enough rain for me! Winters are what I would consider mild compared to some places farther north. I think everyone usually hopes for a white Christmas but we rarely have one. The temperatures are seldom below 0 but coming from California it may feel below 0 to you! We do have occasional flurries and sometimes a little accumulation but not often. Spring is also a beautiful season with more rain. The end of spring usually brings with it a few cold spells that my dad always explained as "Dogwood winter" (when the Dogwood trees start blooming), "Blackberry winter" (I'm guessing when blackberries start blooming), "Indian winter" (don't have a clue what this is!) and there is one more that I can't remember. But anyway, it's warm, sunny, perfect weather and then all of a sudden, it's cold again due to these "winters". Maybe someone else knows more about this. And then comes summer. It usually starts out with sufficient rainfall to get everthing green and get the farmers started and then...no more rain. My yard has gone from a luscious green to a dingy brown because we haven't had any rain in about a month. But anyway, hope this helps and hope everything goes great for you and your family!

Old 08-02-2007, 07:26 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,319,381 times
If you are sold on Louisville, then the weather should not concern you. We're pretty average for our location in the country. I mean, we're halfway between Canada and Florida.

The exception may be that people with hay-fever seem to suffer a little more here in the Ohio Valley.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:27 AM

1,833 posts, read 5,871,404 times
It also depends what part of the state you are in, KY is over 400 miles long what the weather is like in Pikeville, KY doesn't hold true for Fulton KY at the opposite end. You'd have you narrow you area down a bit to get a good answer that is why your answers have been all over the board, you asked a state wide question, and it's different all over the state.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:40 AM

395 posts, read 910,488 times
Because of Kentucky's geographical location, it can be influenced by two climate zones: humid subtropical and humid continental.

Humid subtropical climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Humid continental climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, the weather at one end of the state can be (and often is) completely different from the weather on the other end of the state. If you factor in the higher elevations in the east, then you have more differences still. In my opinion, the best thing to do is search the National Weather Service's site for statistics for the area to which you're moving.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:21 AM

43 posts, read 39,596 times
Coming from Florida two years ago, we are thrilled with the weather in Kentucky. I feel like we have just as much sunshine as we did there, not as much rain, beautiful trees in the fall, and hardly any snow. Can complain at all here in Breckinridge county. I now know why someone said when we moved here "How did you discover our little secret county" as it is quiet, with hardly any press and nobody hardly knows about it, which is weird as we are only an hour from Louisville, which is always in the news. We have not regreted moving from overcrowded and over priced Florida.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:22 AM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,011,482 times
Default Weather Honesty

Sorry I didn't mention our exact location in KY, we have narrowed it down to the North part of Kentucky by Independence and Union up to Fort Mitchell.

We have done all the averages when it comes to temperature which shows lows in the 20's highs in the 40's for mid-winter, compared to 85's for a average high in mid-summer. If this is basically right, I'm happy, because that means there is lots of nice in-betweens for the spring and fall.

My main concern was the amount of rain fall at one time, and how gray it might be and for how long?

Thanks again.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:44 AM

2,064 posts, read 6,018,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Dunn View Post
Sorry I didn't mention our exact location in KY, we have narrowed it down to the North part of Kentucky by Independence and Union up to Fort Mitchell.

We have done all the averages when it comes to temperature which shows lows in the 20's highs in the 40's for mid-winter, compared to 85's for a average high in mid-summer. If this is basically right, I'm happy, because that means there is lots of nice in-betweens for the spring and fall.

My main concern was the amount of rain fall at one time, and how gray it might be and for how long?

Thanks again.
Those numbers are pretty accurate. You'll have a few days in the teens to low 20s in the winter and a few days in the mid to high 90s in the summer. Humidity is pretty bad in the summer too.

I've never considered Kentucky to be "gray" at all, it is pretty sunny. You are coming from CA though. I have lived "up east" and KY is much sunnier than up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky