U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,957 times

Advertisements

To start off I don't have a problem with the plate. I'm in Bowling Green and I see confederate flags every day.

Secondly there is a reason for the old saying "Kentucky didn't secede until AFTER the civil war"

Third, there are 13 stars on the Confederate flag. One of them is for Kentucky.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:11 PM

11,441 posts, read 9,088,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Why and the hell does this still matter to people? LET IT GO!!! This is not that 1800's, although some people like to live and think that way.
I agree.
And beavers are always in fashion.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:17 PM

15,106 posts, read 17,619,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphene View Post
How is it any different from being able to purchase a "Choose Life" or "Masonic Order" license plate?
It's a matter of personal preference, and a money-making move by the Dept. of Motor Vehicles.

If someone wants the world to see where their views lie, then so be it. The license plate itself is not hurting anyone. If you have a problem with the individual, then take it up with them.
It's one thing if a guy has a rebel front plate that he found somewhere else. It's another if the state sponsors that type of thing. Kentucky already has a rep for being racist and backward, we don't need to add a confederate plate to support that.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:37 PM

1,839 posts, read 1,843,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I agree.
And beavers are always in fashion.
Especially when they hold little beaver fashion shows! Oh the days when I used to go out into the woods, find a beaver damn, and hallucinate.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:56 PM

489 posts, read 361,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethesdaFan View Post
Third, there are 13 stars on the Confederate flag. One of them is for Kentucky.
yeah be proud, be very proud

Old 05-15-2011, 02:48 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,545,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
On one hand, the place actually doesn't bother me. It's not because it was one of the stars on the Confederate battle flag. It's not because Jefferson Davis was born here. That's all a significant part of our history but has nothing to do with my reasoning. It's because...well, kentuckydad95 below put it best:

Quote:
I don't like the idea, but if you want to run the risk of your car being messed with in public places, angry and insane drivers who get fired up because of a plate, go for it.
Ding ding! Your prerogative, your burden of proof to demonstrate why you're proud to demonstrate a license plate w/ a Confederate flag on your vehicle.

That said, in most of rural Kentucky, people just won't care. And you're not going to see such a plate on this rural Kentucky native's automobile. The war's over people, move on; that is my primary reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
During the War of the Rebellion far more Kentuckians were in The United States Army than in the rebel army.

When the rebel Bragg invaded Kentucky in 1862 he was sorely disappointed by the paltry number of Kentuckians who came forward to enlist in his army and left Kentucky disgusted by the lack of support in the state for the rebellion. Morgan had promised Bragg 30,000 Kentucky recruits, Bragg got only about 2500.

At the battle of Chickamauga the Federal army, The Army of the Cumberland, had 13 Kentucky infantry regiments and 4 Kentucky cavalry regiments. But the rebel Army of Tennessee (which was larger) had only 5 Kentucky infantry regiments and 2 of horse. And 2 batteries of artillery from Kentucky.
Thanks for the history lesson! I need to actually brush up more on my KY Civil War history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
I do believe Kentucky is on it's way for setting a world record with our hundreds of license plates to choose from. Just today I saw the new Keeneland license plate at a red light. I didn't know it existed....
Welllllllll...have you been accessed the DMV websites for Alabama, Texas, Mississippi, Georgia, and Tennessee? Alabama probably will have a commemorative plate next for Leif Ericson and the Norwegians have no known settlement patterns in Alabama.

In contrast, California and Washington states have few specialty plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
How does it honor veterans? Veterans who fought AGAINST the UNITED States? Might as well have a plate that honors the Veterans who bombed Pearl Harbor.
We have a winner!

Old 05-15-2011, 04:26 PM

6,347 posts, read 7,219,727 times
Quote:
I don't like the idea, but if you want to run the risk of your car being messed with in public places, angry and insane drivers who get fired up because of a plate, go for it.
You could say the same about an Obama bumper sticker.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:56 PM

2,069 posts, read 982,454 times
Default Jolly Good Show Thar Kentucky ! ... What !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Whether Kentucky was not Confederate is arguable, during the Civil War loyalties shifted and the state was split, there was a Kentuckian Pro-Confederate government operating in Bowling Green in 1862.

I consider it "Confederate" because there were elements that tried to secede, there was a pro-Confederate government there, but it just never got off the ground.
Desert kid !!! ... On The Money !

Blimey ... you can just bet that there will always be a few miserybells out thar who will absolutely whine ... whine ... whine all over a lil ole
personalized liscense tag now can't ya mates ?

These bloody muppets had best get a large crying towel and start ta using it on a regular basis ... causin that thar beautiful "Confederate Flag" is ere to stay ! What !

It's an important part of the proud history of those good folks in the States! The beautiful "Confederate Flag" and it's equally "Proud History" may well be around much, much longer than any of it's bloody bonker detractors !!!

Good Show Kentucky ... Follow thru with your plans for this special tag which truly signifies "Southern Pride and Heritage" ... Jolly Good Show !

That thar good ole C.S.A. history is alive and well in the States !!!

America's "Factual" History ... Indeed a national treasure !

Ta / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 05-15-2011, 07:05 PM

1,447 posts, read 3,033,565 times
This really isn't about the Civil War, imo. At least, not completely. The confederate battle flag didn't start gaining popularity until the mid 50's, with the rise in the civil rights movement. For example, in 1956 the Georgia state flag was redesigned to include the confederate flag. (It had also been added to some southern state flags in the late 18th century, also in reaction to civil rights. For example, Mississippi in 1894. But you didn't really see it all over the place until the 50's.)

We all know what the confederate flag means. Sticking this on a government issued license plate isn't quite the same as putting a swastika on a government issued license plate, but it's not that far off. So to their credit, Georgia realized that and later took it off. Right now, my memory is that only Mississippi has the stars and bars on it's official state flag, and if anyone thinks that is a coincidence, I don't know what to tell them.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:12 PM

3,791 posts, read 5,009,955 times
I will not dance around this and will just say it. More often than not, if you are flying a confederate flag on your home or have a sticker on your car, you dislike people of color. Don't believe me? Head to Marshall County for tater day in April. Also, how many black people do you see flying that flag or having a decal on their vehicle?

This would put KY even further back if you ask me. I say put it on the ballot this fall with the gov's race. Then again, maybe I don't want to see the results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky