U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 09:10 AM

23 posts, read 58,483 times

Advertisements

I needed to post again to get the instant email notification...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 01:28 PM

323 posts, read 989,535 times
To give you an example...

One of my old co-workers at the Blue Grass Army Depot in Madison County (Richmond) lives in London and drives to work to Richmond every weekday. Now this is a bit of a drive, but he is in (county) law enforcement in London on the weekends and works at the (federal) Depot for a 40 hour shift. He didn't much mind the drive and it's pretty much all I-75 the entire way. Just depends on how long of a commute time you want (or lack of commute).

I personally live in Rowan County and commute to Carter County daily for work. It's all relative to your preference for commute time, and also the way you commute (interstate or two-lane roads).

Old 08-20-2007, 02:21 PM

I live in SoCal. I commute 1 hour or so to work and one hour back with regular traffic. A small accident can result in a 2+ hour commute each way.

This is one of the reasons that I'm moving.

I don't mind a little bit of a commute but I'm sick of spending all of my time commuting.

I just don't want to be so far out in the country that I can't reach the regular stores I rely on like walmart and home depot or lowes and the occasional auto parts store...

Old 08-22-2007, 08:00 AM

Ok then.. I still say, if you want rural and not have a long commute and you have a job offered there... choose London. I don't think you'll regret it. One mile out of town is rural and you can have a 5 minute drive to work, or you could live WAY rural and still only have a 20 or so minute drive to work.
I believe you'll find a WalMart & HD or Lowe's there, but on this I'm not positive. I'm sure a little research will show you that you can live in London and get all the things you want and need, and can drive within a reasonably short distance to get to many of the places you might want to go to on a less than daily basis.

Good luck in your choices.. :c)

Old 08-22-2007, 09:01 AM

Thanks for all the info.

Anybody know if there are any companies that build cabins in the area?

Old 08-23-2007, 10:37 AM

You might try and open that question as a new thread. I bet you'll get responses that way! :c)

Old 11-18-2011, 04:02 AM

1 posts, read 733 times
[FONT=&quot]Hello everybody!!

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm newbie in this Forum. My name is James Spader. My hobbies are like conversation with other members and researching in internet, I am very glad to find a good community Forum. This is my first-post. I joined in this group learned so much here. Now I want to catch more knowledge in this community, decided to join with other members of this forum. I want to share my knowledge and gain from other members. I hope all friends will corporate with me. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

I am looking for your reply.

Best Regards.
James Spader

[url=http://www.edwardhighschool.com]High school Diploma Online[/url]
[/FONT]

Old 11-18-2011, 08:43 AM

10,512 posts, read 8,444,104 times
James, welcome to the forum. You might want to start a new thread to make sure others see your message, and if your user name is your real name, I'd advise you to change it for privacy, and to delete what seems to be the mention of your high school. The vast majority of posters here are good folks, even if we do squabble from time to time, but you never know who else may be reading or just lurking online.

Best wishes to you.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:02 AM

10,512 posts, read 8,444,104 times
OP: London would be my pick over Hazard. It's about two hours down I-75 from Lexington; a little less than one hour south of Berea. You certainly could commute several miles down or up I-75 - or east on the Hal Rogers Parkway - and still make it to work fairly conveniently. There are beautiful wooded hills and mountains around London, although much of the town's immediate surroundings are on a sort of high plateau. London does have a Wal-Mart, on the southern by-pass, which also includes many chain restaurants (many of which seem to cater to the I-75 traffic) and stores. The downtown area is older - it's the site of the annual Chicken Festival in the fall, a light-hearted event which is lots of fun.

Levi Jackson State Park is southeast of town - it includes some of the old Wilderness Road, a pioneer cemetery where those killed in an Indian raid on a party of travelers rest, a group of historic log structures, a large swimming pool, a seasonal stable, horses and riding trails, a campground, a gift shop, a large group camp area with a big camphouse with a large kitchen and very rustic cabins, a natural amphitheatre with a stone "stage" which hosts bluegrass music concerts and other events, picnic tables, playgrounds, hiking trails (more like walking trails - wooded and hilly but not rugged land), and an old watermill which operates in season. Fall color (over now for this year) is spectacular in Levi Jackson State Park, which includes mostly pine-oak forests, with dogwoods, maples, sweetgums, and sumac adding brilliant color - all too briefly. Spring is nice too, when the redbuds and dogwoods bloom.

The other towns which line I-75 offer additional amenities within a two-hour drive, either north or south, so London is a good central location. Hazard, while located in beautiful heavily wooded mountains (at least those which haven't lost their tops are still beautiful...), is more isolated and highway access is more difficult, due to lots two-lane, winding mountain roads in the area.

As for land costs, Lexington is considered the Heart of the Bluegrass, and is surrounded by extremely valuable and manicured thoroughbred horse farms, the majority of which are found in Fayette, Woodford, and Bourbon Counties. Rural land in the rolling, largely open horse farm country is zoned to prevent small-acreage purchases. Outside of this area, land costs are lower, but the land will not be as rich or as manicured, but is still beautiful. The mountains start (in a modest way) at Berea, as you head south from Lexington on I-75, and land prices in the hills and hollows can be reasonable - make sure you have the mineral rights, if you buy land with coal, however. The mountains get taller and the roads become more narrow and winding as you head southeast from Lexington - east from London.

Hope this helps some...and I hope you find your both your workplace and your homeplace.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:56 PM

817 posts, read 1,223,180 times
Default Welcome to Kentucky!!

Welcome to Kentucky lawdog...I hesitate to respond because I may be a little bias because of the fact that I live in London, and have all my life...you know what they say, "there is no place like Home". I'll make a suggestion though, come look around, there is nothing like seeing things with your own eyes. Hazard is about 60 miles East on, what I like to call the Daniel Boone Parkway but, I can't because the name was changed to the Hal Rogers Parkway.

Welcome!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or