U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 04:23 PM

23 posts, read 58,474 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I've just discovered this board and it looks like what I've been looking for.

I am considering moving to KY. I have been offered a job in my preference of Hazard or London. (Hazard pays more). Additionally, I have a prospect in Lexington as well but nothing concrete yet.

Here's the deal: I'd like to buy a small farm with some acreage (as much as possible under $300k) Ideally a place with barns and workshop/garages already built. I have been looking at these various places but I really can't get a straight story unless I chat with the locals to really get an idea of the areas.

I like rural but need to be near a wal-mart and home deopt/lowes for my basic needs...

I'd also like to be close to a VA Hospital if it's possible.

One final thing, I'd like to avoid areas which may be prone to crime, etc...

I hope yall can give me a few pointers...

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 04:46 PM

1,833 posts, read 5,870,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog View Post
I have been offered a job in my preference of Hazard or London. (Hazard pays more).
That's because it's 'hazard' pay .... oh I couldn't let that one slide.

Quote:
I like rural but need to be near a wal-mart and home deopt/lowes for my basic needs...
Shocking I know but basic needs can be found in other stores aside from Wal-Mart. I live in a very rural area and have not been in one in years, opting to spend my money with local merchants, just my opinion though.

Wish I could help you more but I'm at the other end of the state and don't get down that way much.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:08 AM

190 posts, read 747,240 times
Default G' Morning

I've gotta say, if I HAD to choose between the two, I would pick London. There seems to me more to do there for recreation. For instance, there's Laurel Lake, Levi Jackson State Park, great flea markets, trails to walk, loads of nature, etc. It's close to Somerset, and just a hop-skip-and jump down to Tennessee. So there's plenty of every-day shopping around, and you can still get to the larger specialty stores in no time.

I would suggest you take a nice trip and visit both areas. You may fall head over heels for Hazard, or then again, you may decide you will fit right into London.

Either way, welcome home!
~joanna~

Old 08-05-2007, 05:00 AM

43 posts, read 39,593 times
You can still buy farms with acreage under $300k in Breckinridge Co. and work in Elizabethtown or Louisville and make good money or even work in Ft. knox--plenty of jobs. Just google or yahoo it and type in kentucky farms Breckinridge county and you will see what I mean. It is still a sleepy little county but Etown is a short drive and has everything and I think louisville has a va hosp.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:22 AM

323 posts, read 989,404 times
Hazard is in a beautiful area of the state... much more isolated than London, but it may be perfect for what you're looking for! Hazard is rich in local customs, and generations of miners. Close knit community in the middle of the mountains/trees of Eastern, KY. This town has "money" as well as poor.

London is rather nice as well. Surrounded by mountains and trees (just not as isolated as Hazard). Larger town. More amenities (I believe). Easy I-75 access. More like a city (although still small on the grand scale). Not sure about the cost of living difference in re: to land/farms, etc.

I think if you want rural... you will probably be thrilled with either of these choices. Lexington however is WAY less "rural" than most of the state. It's one of the "big cities" with all that entails... (more amenities, more traffic, higher crime, higher cost of living, bigger population, etc.)

Good luck, and I hope you find Kentucky your new home!

Last edited by desiree253; 08-06-2007 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: added Lex. comment

Old 08-09-2007, 12:48 PM

9 posts, read 29,022 times
Hi Lawdog,

May I suggest skipping London and Hazard and go straight to the Lexington area? Lexington is in Fayette County and it is fairly well built up with housing, and losing farmland every day. However, neighboring counties such as Woodford (city of Versailles), Bourbon (Paris) and Clark (Winchester) have a wealth of farmland, and are within commuting distance of Lexington. I'm not familiar with farmland property sale prices in those counties, but they're definitely worth a look-see.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:29 AM

246 posts, read 960,934 times
Default highliner

I don't know where you're from, but I'd have to pick London/Laurel County over Hazard/Perry County any and every day of the year. What a difference is made by direct interstate highway access! Not to mention, that Somerset is just a short jump west on SR80, and Knoxville is only about 75 minutes south on I75. Hazard, while a nice little town, is simply no place to be, if you don't have well-established family in the area. I hope you're abundantly happy, with whichever place, that you ultimately select.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:54 PM

Thanks for all the posts. For some reason when I posted, I forgot to select the email notification.

Anyway, I'm leaning toward London with preference for Lexington but still not sure...

Old 08-19-2007, 01:30 PM

820 posts, read 2,592,671 times
Lawdog, I'll add my agreement to the folks that say you probably wouldn't enjoy living in Hazard. I suspect the pay is better for that job because of the difficult time getting someone to take a position and live there. There's NOTHING there, plus the healthcare in that area isn't very swift. (I'm a nurse that's pretty familiar with care across the state) London sounds like it might fit what you're looking for and I believe there's a VA in Knoxville if I'm not mistaken which wouldn't be too far down 75S for you.

Lexington is a great city, but to get a farm, you'd have to go to a surrounding county. Lexington has two VA hospitals with one of them serving more acute healthcare situations. However, there's lots of smaller counties around where you could probably find a farm like you're looking for.

Not being overly familiar with the environment for lawyers, I would think Lexington would be a much harder place to build a career?

Old 08-20-2007, 09:06 AM

I've been looking at the surrounding counties in the Lexington and London areas. Lots of nice places but since I am not familiar with the particulars, it's tough to make a decision.

For example, I've found huge acreage parcels of land (60+ acres), however, I do not know anything about the areas, amenities, neighborhoods, etc.

I don't mind the whole country living thing; I just don't want to go SO rural that I'm in the middle of nowhere... (some of my firends would argue that going to KY is just that)

Anyway, if I were to go and work in London, what is the farthest distance I can go and still be reasonably close? I keep hearing that I can live one or two counties away and still be close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or