U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 07:15 AM

9 posts, read 27,792 times

Advertisements

Hello all;

We are moving to Ky. from Fl., and want to locate about 30+- miles from
Lexington as we have a Granddaughter there.
We are looking for a smaller, (15000 or less) town that is NOT growing as we
are retired and don't need the hassle.
Been watching the posts, and want to stay away from areas that flood, like Falmouth has, or with new auto plants like Cynthiana, or traffic like Nicholasville, or growing like Richmond, and not too hilly, like east of
Mt Sterling. Nothing against those areas, we just don't need that at our time of life. Been there, done that.
Just a nice quiet, peaceful, area with good folks around. We are not into
heavy culture or the arts, enjoy history and your beautiful countryside.
Please help us find one of your nice quiet towns, you have an abundance of them. Thanks, Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 08:13 AM

323 posts, read 989,039 times
Well eventually I hate to say that ANYWHERE that near Lexington will eventually start growing.. people are getting tired of the rat-race in other states, and the KY secret is getting out there... Lexington has grown leaps and bounds in just a decade... it's definitely spreading! That said...

You may want to check into:

Berea,
Mt. Vernon (this is a bit farther.. but might be well worth it.... very small... not growing in my opinion, anytime soon, and is right off I-75 South of Berea.
Paris, Hard to say if this'll start growing quickly
Clay City, about 45 minutes from Richmond, VERY isolated, beautiful, small, small town, etc.
Irvine
Wilmore
Harrodsburg
Lancaster
Danville
Midway

While some of these may be more than 30 miles, they are all within a very short driving time from Lexington, and seem to fit the bill of what you are looking for. There may be more out there, but these are my suggestions for you!

Good Luck in your search.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:33 AM

13 posts, read 110,278 times
Also Stanford, KY in Lincoln County is another option. It's a very low cost of housing area, close to Danville which is a larger town (by no means a city!) almost no traffic in the area. My family is all originally from there and many still there and commute into Danville for work. Lincoln county was one of the three original Kentucky counties. There is not a lot there, a super Wal-Mart, Food Lion and a few different places to eat. However, with Danville only 10 minutes or so away with basically anything you need, plus Lexington around 45 minutes away, it is an ideal place to retire I think.
All the other communities listed above are nice too, it's a nice state to live in!

Old 08-06-2007, 02:01 PM

9 posts, read 27,792 times
Talking relocation

Thanks for the comeback folks, we had been looking around Harrodsburg, and really enjoyed it, haven't seen much north of Lexington yet, so will look
up all your suggestions.

Someone suggested contacting Realtors in the areas of interest, so will
try that also, as soon as we find the geographical areas that suit us.

Obviously every place has pros and cons, but we are not too picky, just someplace quiet that doesn't flood. Had lunch along the Kentucky river
near Clays Ferry one day, and they showed us the various flood marks on the walls. Not looking for that !!!.

Thanks again, Dave

Old 08-07-2007, 07:23 AM

323 posts, read 989,039 times
North of Lexington???

All of the places listed, save for Paris are all South of Lexington. As far as I'm aware, none really "flood", not that I've heard of anyway... could be that I'm just not familiar with that catastrophe being a biggy in any of the areas listed. Good luck again, in your search.
All the towns listed have mostly good about them. I bet you'll find the perfect town for you and the wife from one of them listed!

When you do, let me be the first to say, "Welcome home".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky