Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 09:19 AM

329 posts, read 1,095,250 times

Advertisements

Anyone out there know much about this town/area? With the restructuring of USDA in Kentucky... I might be forced to relocate to another office. I may have the opportunity to choose between several areas. My choices might be:
Lexington (don't want to go!)
Hazard
London
Elkton

Keep in mind. I love small town, middle of nowhere, don't need a lot of amenities (but love a Taco Bell!), don't need diversity, progression, I'll already be employed, etc.

Thanks for any responses!!

(I'm just praying I get to stay in the Morehead area... I just moved here )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 12:35 PM

13 posts, read 128,799 times
I am not even sure where Elkton is, since most of my Kentucky living has been in more central areas of the state. If you don't want Lexington, I would probably vote London unless you just really want to be rural!

Old 08-07-2007, 08:18 AM

Yeah, I've lived in Richmond, Lex, Danville, Berea and now Morehead.

Elkton is in the central southwestern part of KY over about 18 miles past Russelville, KY.. I think maybe within 20 miles or so North of Clarksville, TN and the military base in KY...

Old 08-09-2007, 05:04 PM

76 posts, read 343,101 times
Elkton, KY
Todd County
Between Christian County & Logan County
In fact I drove through Elkton yesterday.
Small town with a personality.
I have done some genealogy research at the librabry in Todd County.
As you can tell I have some relatives in Todd County.
Has a lot of farm land
Home of Jeff Davis State Park
Todd County as far as alcholic beverages is not wet or dry but limited which means sales of alcohol by the drink only in restaurants with at least 100 seating and 70 percent food sales.

KYHummingbird

Old 08-10-2007, 02:00 PM

Thanks for the information. I don't drink, so the wet/dry thing is fine with me either way

It's more farmland huh? No mountainy trees like London, southern or eastern KY then?

cost of living sounds cheap in Elkton according to C-D, but you never know how accurate that info is. Especially since it's so close to the base... that tends to make rental prices skyrocket.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:19 PM

246 posts, read 1,052,851 times
Default highliner

Elkton is okay, I guess, for a little bitty (approx 2200 people) blip of a rural town. It won't compare well to Morehead, for example. If you are forced to relocate to that area, you'd probably fare much better in Hopkinsville, approximately fifteen miles west, or in Russellvile-which is closer to the size of Morehead- equally distant to the east. Its not a terrible place, just very small and somewhat lacking in essential services. I remember the outskirts of Clarksville as being about 28 miles southwest of town, but the drive will take almost an hour on those roads.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:52 PM

4 posts, read 19,620 times
Default Russellville....

Russellville has way more to offer as far as small western Kentucky towns go. Check out Russellville.
Seeing as how you work for the U.S.D.A. you are not aware that Taco Bells' meat is only one grade above dog food?

Old 09-26-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG79 View Post
Russellville has way more to offer as far as small western Kentucky towns go. Check out Russellville.
Seeing as how you work for the U.S.D.A. you are not aware that Taco Bells' meat is only one grade above dog food?
HAHA JTG79! While I do work for the USDA... I work in Low-Income Rural Housing... NOT food inspection! and I LOVE Taco Bell... no matter what kinda meat they use!!! Didn't you realize possum was a delicacy here in Eastern Kentucky?? Just kidding!!! Eww

Old 10-01-2007, 09:27 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,405,078 times
Elkton's ok not far from Hopkinsville, Russellville, Madisonville, Greenville, Clarkville and a few other "villes" ... not a lot going on there, but that's not always bad.
Yes Todd Co is fairly flat the further west you go the flatter it gets compared to the eastern end. But cost of living is cheap-cheap and you can find some nice houses in the area for little money.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,654 times
Elkton is a nice little town, I am moving there from Russellville soon. I have family in both places and I like the people around Elkton better and that is where I go to Church and work also. You can always get some Taco Bell in Russellville or Clarksville when you make the trip to Wal Mart, tha is how small Elkton is, just a dollar store adn a Food Giant, lol, the nearest Wal Mart is 20 minutes away but a nice drive either way, and we have a few small hills north of Elkton towards Madisonville or Lake Malone either one. if you have any questions you can ask me directly at [email]sandman_858@hotmail.com[/email] Hope this was a little bit of help...God Bless, Phillip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky