U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 02:11 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,990,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjwagner View Post
For some one that is living in another state and just applied for a job in Pikeville, I guess this is not the forum to come and get a good idea of what Pikeville is truly like??? Or is it????? I think people should avoid personnal opinion that tears others down.
I find most of the opinions given by people in these types of threads are the ones who have stereotyped opinions of how people in Appalachia are, and nothing can sway them from that mindset.

I've never seen the racism Kentucky gets saddled with, I've never seen the backward attitudes, or the negative treatment of people from other places (Southern hospitality is alive and well in Appalachia.) that is blamed on us by movies and the media.

That said... Rural is rural. Is there alot to do? That depends. If clubbing and fine dining and expensive shops are your thing... then let's face it...Appalachia/rural eastern Kentucky isn't going to be where you wanna go. If you like state parks, camping, fishing, hiking.. then you're going to feel like there's plenty to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 03:01 PM

5 posts, read 15,518 times
Well now, I wonder if any of the people who have said we're behind the times by about 50 years has been to Pikeville recently. Anyone who has seen the East Kentucky Exposition Center or the new Hampton Inn could not say we live in the boonies. Everyone always talks about the "hollers", but have any of you ever been to neighborhoods like Northmonte, Cedar Hills, or the Bowles Addition?

We are open and understanding here. I know many openly gay and lesbian people. I have never knwon anyone to distrust someone just because they're not from around here. And honestly, there were way more "rich snobs" in my high school than poor kids from the "holler." And we actually have two colleges in the city. Pikeville College and Big Sandy Community and Technical College.

Also, if your car ever breaks down in Kentucky...you better pray it's in a place like Pikeville rather than a bigger city where no one's going to stop and help you.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:31 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,572,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
Everyone always talks about the "hollers", but have any of you ever been to neighborhoods like Northmonte, Cedar Hills, or the Bowles Addition?
Very true, those neighborhoods are equal to, if not more impressive than anything a large city has.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 22 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,132,956 times
In my experience the Coal Fields part of Eastern KY is quite different from the more rural parts because of the very diverse groups of people that came to work in the mines. People from Italy, Russia, African Americans from the Deep South, etc all flowed into the "Black Gold Triangle" (Pikeville to Middlesboro to Ashland). Lynch, KY (where my grandfather worked in a mine for 35 years) is one of Kentucky's most diverse towns at 25% African American - much more diverse than most of Louisville or Lexington.

African American population in Eastern Coalfield

Lynch 25%
Benham 10%
Harlan 7%
Cumberland 5%
Middlesboro 5%
Pineville 4%

Old 12-30-2008, 01:12 AM

5 posts, read 7,237 times
Default I have lived in big cities since leaving

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm2978 View Post
Well People I know I am new here but I ran up on this place looking for some property. I like in Pikeville, not really the city area but moreso into the county. Some of the things that people are saying are outlandish. We are good people and new people fit in just as well. My best friend came here from Chicago and to tell the truth, she swears she will never move back home..There is poverty and there is wealth. I live in a "holler" and there is about the same amount of poverty as there is wealth. I was raised in a middle classed home and my father worked as a miner , same as he is today. We had a great life and then I had some very good friends down the road that wasn't as unfortunate, but our parents taught us good values, and we shared our things with them...So anyone can sit here and say anything they like about people, but the fact is you go to a city and you get onto these streets that have just as much poverty. So you look at it like this ...We personally don't have streets that just have poverty or wealth we are all mixed in together. I am not one that lives a bad life I don't have alot of money but my husband does haul coal for a living and makes decent wages. I don't go without no my kids, he has great health insurance..
To attempt the comments about education..I also have a education. I did go to college, it was a community college, but all the same it was an education..
As to being shunned if you come here. Not going to happen. It is exciting to meet new people and get an outlook on others lives and where they are from. It is all in how you treat the people you are meeting. If you act like you are better then they will treat you like your not.
The worshiping of Satan...Naw its nothing like that. Some do yes, but its not the norm or anything. Just like any other place...the dead cat or dog whatever it was on the door. That is plain crazy. I have lived here all my life and have never seen anything like that..This is mostly a Christian based community..Oh and also about the family murders..that the lady was talking about killing the family and throwing them in a ditch. Yes the people were from around here but it took place in Tenn..It DID NOT HAPPEN HERE..They were some kind of cult and have some mental issues and they has been about 5 or 6 years ago and has only been that incident, that Iam aware of..
So everyone this is my insite. It may or may not be what you want to hear, but what I am telling is the truth..I personally love it here and at times I do call my Mother , "MOMMY". Depending on what I want. I think it is rather endearing..I love my mother and you think about people being Mamma's kinds. Oboviously she did something right to make her kids love her so much..So think what you like, its your opinion..
SO before I close , I have one more thing to say. I have lived in a city or 2 in my time and when I get to see those mountains, I feel like a 1000 pounds have been lifted off my shoulds...
Thanks for listening..
"SO before I close , I have one more thing to say. I have lived in a city or 2 in my time and when I get to see those mountains, I feel like a 1000 pounds have been lifted off my shoulders..." Thank you for putting this so perfectly. I agree. My husband and I were there this past Christmas, and nothing can replace that feeling when you first realize you are home, nothing at all.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:10 PM

257 posts, read 786,986 times
I'm gonna be heading through pikeville and stopping for a few hours next weekend on a roadtrip through the area. I need to find something to do in pikeville. Actually, I'm pretty sure I'd be content with just walking around downtown. Are there any local places to eat downtown? Any recommendations or comments?

Old 01-05-2009, 12:18 PM

200 posts, read 731,883 times
Personally I think its hillarious that someone who lives in such an exciting area with so many things to do has nothing better to do than get on the net and talk down about how backwards and behind the times we in appalachia are. lmao its pretty funny to say the least.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:29 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,947,519 times
We went to Cumberland falls and Old South Fork last summer. The best time we had, however, was at the Yahoo Falls and swimming in the river at Great blue heron. We loved every minute of our trip and would go back in a heartbeat! Thank you Eastern Kentuckians for your endless hospitality!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:37 AM

33 posts, read 143,677 times
I was one of the first posters on this thread when someone asked about Pikeville. I gave my opinion when it was my home for 2 years many years ago. Got a notice there were more posts to the thread so came back on to read what was posted. I was surprised to read only one negative post (if I counted correctly) glad so many others, natives or implants, felt the same as I did, so for those who are considering Pikeville, go for it. Its been 30 years but still remember the area and its people, we have often said we should take a trip and see what its like now. Honestly my husband has mentioned "do you think you'd like to move back"? Florida is hot, humid, extremely busy, our area has grown from 25,000 to 75,000, along with the growth came crime, higher costs of everything, and a different type of people, unfriendly, rude, high opinioned, the type who wouldn't speak if you fell and they tripped over you. Never came across those kind in Pikeville. Not to put everyone down, there are a lot of very nice, pleasant people but seems to be more and more of the other type.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:41 PM

12 posts, read 30,153 times
I have to say I don't know much about Pikeville but I am sure I can say without contradiction that if you do not like the town or the people then stay the heck out.

My family hails from the likes of Norton, Virginia and I am here to tell you that the people of the hills of western Virginia and eastern Kentucky have been living the hard life all their lives and they are survivors. They are the best friends you will ever find as long as you remember one thing..... Treat as you would be treated. If you act like you are better than them they sure as Hell will cut you off at the knees. Tough, you bet your Ass they are tough and definetely not to be triffled with. They will take care of their own and it is really not hard to become one of them. I do not know that it is a bad thing to step back to a time when you were taught to respect your elders and not talk back to your mom or dad. A time where hard work meant something. There are other places, big cities where you can make alot of money with relatively little effort but that does not necessarily mean that only people in the city know how to be gracious. I have read all thess bashings of Pikesville and it's people and as you may surmized it has made me angry. I would suggest that these bashings came from ingnorant individuals that refuse to be educated to people who might be a little different from themselves. They may be a little educated but that does not necessarily make them intelligent.

My suggestion is that if you think you might like Pikesville Kentucky go there get to know the folks do not be afraid to to get close and learn from them. You will be surprized to find that this is really where you belong. Paradise is what you make it and the people you invite in along the way.

I apologize for my ramblings but to the People of Pikesville you have no need to defend youselves against such ignorance.

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or