U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 08:50 PM

13,581 posts, read 21,764,383 times

Advertisements

Thanks Bob for your kind remarks about Pikeville I must say that we are slowly getting a bit more respect thanks to you and some others who actually made a visit..I wasn't born and raised here, but have been here for 30 years and Lords willing I will die here in the place I have learned to love and call home..Next time you are in Norton or Wise and plan on heading North on 23, let me know..You are invited to dinner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 09:36 PM

12 posts, read 30,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Thanks Bob for your kind remarks about Pikeville I must say that we are slowly getting a bit more respect thanks to you and some others who actually made a visit..I wasn't born and raised here, but have been here for 30 years and Lords willing I will die here in the place I have learned to love and call home..Next time you are in Norton or Wise and plan on heading North on 23, let me know..You are invited to dinner
Well believe it or not I am currently planning my retirement some 9 years down the road and I am researching the relocation possibilities in eastern Kentucky, possibly the Pikesville area because it is so close to Norton. I really love that part of the country and my research thus far has led me to believe that Kentucky is very friendly to retirees. I am sure those that speak ill of Pikesville and its people have not taken the time to get to know them. My Dad was born in raised in Norton and Pikesville is not so very much different. In my opinion the people make this area as beautiful as it is and I feel sorry for those who cannot see that. I do hope that those who might consider Pikesville as there home will give it a fair chance. I do appreciate you favorable response. I hope all the readers of this thread understand what I am saying and what it says for the people of Pikesville when a complete stranger gets invited to diner into the warmth of one of their homes. It certainly confirms everything I have said. Thanks to you and all the folks of Pikesville Kentucky.

Bob

Old 01-11-2009, 10:12 PM

257 posts, read 788,378 times
Ahhh! I just came back from visiting Pikeville on our road trip from Miami. It was awesome! I loved the college up on the hillside, the park near the EK Expo Center was really nice. I was overall impressed with the urbanity of the area. The older homes were beautiful on the side of town. I was very impressed with the city.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:32 AM

12 posts, read 30,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw87a View Post
Ahhh! I just came back from visiting Pikeville on our road trip from Miami. It was awesome! I loved the college up on the hillside, the park near the EK Expo Center was really nice. I was overall impressed with the urbanity of the area. The older homes were beautiful on the side of town. I was very impressed with the city.
Miss Blue and others in this thread are certainly encouraging my further research into eastern Kentucky and specifically Pikeville. I really appreciate the feed back from those who take the time to really see a place from it's heart and not it's socioeconomic statistics. There is more to a home than statistics. Thanks for the input I am certainly enthusiastic to see and visit Pikeville in the near future.

The town sound great and the people sound even better.

Thanks all - Bob

P.S. Thank the Lord I spelled Pikeville correctly this time. Sorry for the OPPS in previous posts.

Oh yes, I almost forgot, can someone give me some web sites for local realtors so I can look into possible properties. Thanks Again...

Old 01-30-2009, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,860 times
My family is moving to Pikeville "or the area around the town" Next month and are desperately searching for a good rental home, however; as of yet we have not found anything online that would be helpful. Can anyone recommend anywhere or a resource that would help us locate a property in the area? We really love the look of the area from what we have seen on Google and what the people there tell us of the location.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:19 PM

742 posts, read 1,478,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
blue don't go just because of other's ignorance! You are a wealth of information and I am proud to have you here myself. I think it is wonderful you do all you can to bust the stereotypes
Unfortunately, the stereotypes about eastern Kentucky are not likely to die in the near future, if ever.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:57 AM

24 posts, read 73,168 times
if your looking for a teaching job im pretty sure you can get a job because they in my opinion look for people that sound more edjucated and there decition would probably be based on mostly the sound of a city person in your voice ,but if i were you i wouldnt come here ever to find a job i mean its a nice place but don't offer anything to anyone in my opinion other than coal dust in your lungs and a broke back when your 30 and a broke bank account the whole time,its your choice but just think ,why are there so many people who want to leave here when they are born here ?,,,there is a reason and anything you can think of would be an answer to that question ,i know i sound like a disgrunttled kyian but im fed up with this place it dont have a damn thing to offer and the schools suck, anyway thats my opinion

Old 03-21-2009, 03:11 PM

102 posts, read 266,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Why do you people only come to any thread about Pikeville to insult the people here? You tell untruths, make fun of us, why? When was the last time you were here? When was the first time you were here? You don't know us, you watch what Tv and movies show you..I was not born here, I chose to live here in order to not raise my children in the large metro areas of Ohio where I was born. The people from my own beloved State of Ky are shameful in their portrayal their fellow citizens. I am leaving the Ky forum and don't think I will come back here. I am tired of coming here only to be saddened and hurt and insulted.
if you are saddened and hurt by what is said on a public internet message board, then the problem is yours, quite frankly.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:40 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,994,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_fluty41230 View Post
if your looking for a teaching job im pretty sure you can get a job because they in my opinion look for people that sound more edjucated and there decition would probably be based on mostly the sound of a city person in your voice ,but if i were you i wouldnt come here ever to find a job i mean its a nice place but don't offer anything to anyone in my opinion other than coal dust in your lungs and a broke back when your 30 and a broke bank account the whole time,its your choice but just think ,why are there so many people who want to leave here when they are born here ?,,,there is a reason and anything you can think of would be an answer to that question ,i know i sound like a disgrunttled kyian but im fed up with this place it dont have a damn thing to offer and the schools suck, anyway thats my opinion
Boy you really have nothing good to say about this area, and that's such a shame. Why so negative? My husband doesn't have coal dust in his lungs nor a broken back, and our bank account is quite healthy (despite my affection for online shopping ) and there's plenty of other folks just like us here. There's jobs to be had, provided you're willing to work, and not just around coal - though that is also an option. In fact, despite the crumbling elsewhere in the country, there is actually economic growth going on in eastern Kentucky. And that's from somebody who's only a few miles south of you in Blaine.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:41 PM

200 posts, read 733,418 times
People in Eastern Kentucky, fueled by outside critisism have this misconstrued view of other areas of the country that everything can happen for them there. That all of your dreams are easier to accomplish. Its just as easy to succeed in Eastern Kentucky as it is in other parts of the nation, if not easier givin the current state of the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or