U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 10:16 AM

24 posts, read 66,127 times

Advertisements

im sorry for that post i was just pissed off because i didnt get yet another job at jim booths so i was still a bit raw ..lol...really i love this place but it gets old hearing were sorry the position has ben filled ect. and mining for me is about the only way because i need to make a living and doint have time to go to college for at least 2 years and not make any money the whole time but anyway there are jobs but you cant be picky in my opinion and i still stand by what i was saying about if you coming here to find work i wouldnt recomend it at all ...and yes i am willing to work....any way i didnt mean to ruffle any feathers with you so sorry.........have a nice day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 09:56 PM

5 posts, read 10,643 times
FloridaHater please go to Kentucky first before you decide. It is worth checking out and they definately need you. You will be able to get employment. Not everyone is uneducated.
Being from large cities myself, I will tell you, the change will be quite moving...(no pun intended).
Best Wishes

Old 06-11-2009, 11:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,704 times
I have read with quite a bit of interest all the things people have to say about Pikeville-the nice and not so nice. I am not a native, but my dad's side of the family are from the area. I was raised in Cincinnati, but I come to Pikeville every 4-6 wks to take care of my grandmother and relieve my aunt for the weekend.

I am African American and since I was a baby (almost 38 yrs ago), Pikeville has been my 2nd home. My grandfather worked in county govt for the Highway Dept and the Police Dept. He was pretty well known with many of the "old timers" of Pikeville (Jeff "Dobbin" Owens).

I love coming home to Pikeville, as does my pre-teen son. We have never experienced any form of racism-I frequent many of the shops, restaurants, and businesses all the time and everyone has been very nice, chatty and genuine. My son has many friends that he looks forward to hanging out with, and he always has positive things to report. I really think its what you make it. I am a naturally outgoing person, so I just strike up a conversation- whether Im in line at Walmart, at the bank, or Blockbuster etc, and I have never been made to feel awkward. When I do get "looks", they seem more curious than mean.
My family has been going to Hillbilly Days for years-and have always has a good time. I will admit it could be quite the culture shock for a city person to move to Pikeville for college- especially an A.American city person. They may get the impression that its a racist town, brimming over with KKK--simply not true. There are some, Im sure- but far more who welcome people in all of their shades. And just about everytime Im there, I see more people of color! (Hispanics, Eastern Indians, Asians, AAs)

Would I move to Pikeville? Probably not-- maybe if I had my own business or something. I dont think that I could find a good job in my field. (I have a business degree). Or maybe if I was a financially independent retiree. But I love to get away to the country just for the weekends that Im there. Its a beautiful mountainous town-- I love visiting in Autumn!

Old 06-15-2009, 02:59 PM

13,178 posts, read 19,302,255 times
Hi City Country Girl I bet we have spoken in that loooong line at the cashiers at Walmart or waiting for a table at one of the restaurants..
It was a culture shock for about a day or so when I moved here about 34 years ago from Dayton Ohio..Everyone was warm, friendly and very helpful in my adjustment..and we have not regretted the move for one minute

Old 06-25-2009, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,550 times
I have lived in Jackson Ky most my life and for those who know it isnt much, I hated it so much that I started traveling with a friend we went to over 25 states where we stayed about 2 weeks each. Most all places were nice but only to visit. We spent the longest time in Texas about 6 months but decided that it was too hot and where we stayed there was no place to shop the goodwill and the family dollar unless you lived downtown dallas. So finally we packed it up and hopped on a greyhound and headed back home to Jackson, it was a great trip that lasted a long time. Within a year of coming home I had decided that Jackson was where I was stuck forever driving 3 counties to get a job, never having the resources do to what I want to do with my life and just like the little town in texas only going to the family dollar to shop, well we did have a mcdonalds. About a month later I meet my husband - strange that we meet being that he is all the way from Pikeville. I had always thought about coming to Pikeville and we seemed to by pass it when we were traveling and the closes that I had ever meet was meeting kids at Olive Hill when I was young on family camping trips that had also lived in Pikeville. So I find listening to the sounds of night very peaceful and I listened to them thru the phone each long night while I talked to my future husband. In a matter of months, hillbilly days actually I came and made the desicion that I would move to Pikeville. I found out that moving overnight meant staying in a terrible studio apt but I did and within a month found very affordable 3 bedroom housing and a job and also discovered that besides beautiful there are so many resources any kind of help of assistance that you need you can find, the people are all great. I have lived here for 4 years now and I have 3 children, and am in the process of starting my own business. I would never leave Pikeville in fact I try to recruit people like my family but it doesnt work. I love Pikeville and I think maybe thats why that I never settled anywhere until I got here. I want to travel alot but I already have, we havent even went on vacation since I have been here and we are about to start this year. Oh and Pikeville is a great place to raise children. Great schools from Pre-K to college, always something to do for them expo, shopping, bowling, skating, they never have to live to far, plenty of jobs around, and there are so many things for them the local library, summer programs things that the city offers, many churchs and more. I would def recommend it to anyone cause there is so much here. As long as I have been here I cant even give direction everytime my husband takes us joying riding I see something new.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:32 PM

5,232 posts, read 12,156,435 times
It's funny. I read the very first post and thought 'that place sounds perfect'!! It's exactly what we're looking for. I don't want to live in a big city. I don't want theatres and museums and culture. I want friendly, salt of the Earth, conservative, God fearing, friendly people where I live. And hundreds of acres to stretch out on, not some little 50x100 foot lot. I want to sit on my back porch in the morning with a cup of coffee and wait for the sun to come up while I watch the deer graze in the yard instead of seeing my neighbor in his boxers and robe going to dig a newspaper out of the bushes, scratching his butt on the way back in his door. I want to hear the bobwhite calling to one another, not the beeping and honking from cars. I want to see mountains and trees not the bright lights of a big city.

Seems to me the OP went to Pikeville looking for something that it obviously isn't. Quite frankly I'm glad he chose to leave. There are still those of us that enjoy that lifestyle. I want to raise my own livestock, grow my own produce. I want my land to ride my horses on, a pond of my own to skinny dip in on nice days. To me, that's just heaven. Who needs to get dressed up, fight a crowd, watch CATS and get mugged??

Old 08-10-2009, 06:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,370 times
I was born and raised in Pikeville, Ky. I moved away for a few years and ended up moving back home. I am proud to say that I am a graduate of Pikeville High School and received a great education. My children will also be attended Pikeville Schools. From an outsiders view we may be a small to medium town with not much to offer, but we are a family based town. It gives a sense of calmness and security to know that you can leave your house unlocked and go to bed at night. To know that you can let your children play in the streets and at the park with out worrying if a molester or abuser is going to grab them. Yes those things happen, but our crime rate is extremely low and we still have that safe calm little town atmosphere. Although I personally am a "city girl" and love the city life I would not want to raise my children there. As far as what do the high school students have to do for fun? Well would you rather your high school student out clubbing with a fake id, drinking and doing drugs or attending a school sponsored event or a local band concert in the park? Just because you spend one weekend here doesn't give you the right to form an educated opinion or stereotype on Pikeville. There are plenty of people who have moved here temporarily from large cities and have ended up making the move permanent . It's just a calm safe place, and if that is what you want to call boring and forgot then we don't want to return for a second trip. We will be forgot all on our own without the help of you. Thank You.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:45 PM

100 posts, read 221,574 times
Can anybody answer this question about Pikeville?

I visited Pikeville about 4-5 times, but it was 6 years ago. I stayed in a nice home that was not far from the expressway heading into town coming from Michigan. I have no idea what area to tell you, except it was Pikeville. The area was breathtaking, the homes were beautiful. Yes, there were also very poor people that lived up in the hills, but every time I went there, I felt like I never wanted to leave.

Here's my question... the people we stayed with in Pikeville said there was so much drug use and sales, that they never left their doors unlocked, they always slept with a gun near them and sometimes, they didn't even go places for fear of their home being broken into.

From all the posts on this site, I have no idea why they felt this way. Other than, the last day I was there, some teenager was shot for selling Meth? Please tell me these people were wrong. The Pikeville area is so inviting.. the people are all friendly and wonderful, and like I said, you cannot explain the beauty of the hills and the surroundings. I'm confused???
Cat

Old 08-14-2009, 03:26 AM

13,178 posts, read 19,302,255 times
Sure there is a drug problem in Pike County, just as there is a drug problem anywhere you go nowadays..and I do hear about people in certain areas of the county who do deal with more robberies and break ins than elsewhere. However We are fighting very hard to beat the problem through Unite and other means such as education, and rehab facilities..

I have lived here for over thirty years and do not sleep in fear with a loaded shotgun in the corner I mostly leave my front door unlocked because I really never think about locking it except once in awhile..

The Meth labs are being found, decontaminated and the "cooks" are dealt with.. Seems the movers and pushers (mostly out of Detroit) think Pike County is a good place to go unnoticed....Not so

I was not born and raised here..I came here to find a beautiful, friendly, rural place to raise my childen and I found it here..
Been robbed a couple times in the past 35 years when we lived way out and away from town.
Once years ago when someone took only food, and another time when someone took my lawn mower, gas can and weedeater..That was big news for awhile as is the case in small town rural areas..

Old 08-14-2009, 04:32 AM

100 posts, read 221,574 times
Miss Blue,

Thank you so much for this response! We have been thinking of looking at Pikeville as a place to retire, but were kind of scared off because of "some" people's views. Maybe they lived in way out in a rural area. Now that I think about it, they did!

My hubby and I have been looking at the Corbin/London area, only because his parent lived there, but that was a long, long time ago. We have only visited a few times since then, but we know we LOVE KY and it's beautiful surroundings and friendly people. We live in a suburb of Detroit, but the tension here has spread out to where we live. Michigan has gotten to be a "every man for himself". It's definitely NOT where we want to retire.

Thank you, again, for your help. Since I'm new here, I'm trying not to ask too many questions, but being so far away, I sure would appreciate any guidance I can get.

Have a great day! Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky