U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Why do you people only come to any thread about Pikeville to insult the people here? You tell untruths, make fun of us, why? When was the last time you were here? When was the first time you were here? You don't know us, you watch what Tv and movies show you..I was not born here, I chose to live here in order to not raise my children in the large metro areas of Ohio where I was born. The people from my own beloved State of Ky are shameful in their portrayal their fellow citizens. I am leaving the Ky forum and don't think I will come back here. I am tired of coming here only to be saddened and hurt and insulted.
OMG...I grew up back there, and return once a year so my Children can know my family there. I am proud to be from Pikeville, but will never return to live in that place. You know you are know you are in Pikeville Kentucky when father and son are in the same drug rehab, at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 08:51 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,454,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
amen! Eastern Kentucky in general is stereotyped and it's awful. I think it's wonderful myself.
People who think it is wonderful are often afraid to leave their roots, have no real life goals, or are involved in the drug trade and little else.

Or all 3.

Eastern Kentucky sucks people in with a promise of a million things that are not there, trapping them in a vicious cycle of constantly looking for their "city of gold" so to speak.

Growing up in Harlan county, I can tell you that no school there will give you a real world education, no job there can give you a real world salary (as there are none outside of the mines), no drug there can take away the fact that you're still in what is ranked the worst place to live in America when it comes to general well-being. You're in a sad, poor, meaningless existence of a backwards civilization that will not exist when we move on from coal.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:01 PM

54 posts, read 141,550 times
Pikeville definitely has one of the more interesting social dynamics I've ever encountered. I have several friends from there and I have been there to visit a couple times and while it did seem like it would be an OK place to raise a family, I would never want to but not necessarily for the reasons you'd expect. It seemed to me like a very segregated town, socioeconomically. My friends also make comments occaisionally that allude to this also, although I don't think they realize it. The middle and especially the upper middle classes (for the most part) seem to have a very inflated sense of self importance., although I don't think it's intentional. It's probably not totally their fault, growing up around a lot of poverty.

The first time I visited Pikeville for the first time, I am not sure if there's an eloquent way to put this, but I was shocked at how small/modest the homes were compared to the cars people drove and the way they carried themselves. I'm talking about a family of four (with the parents nearing retirement) living in a 3 br ranch with no basement, having 3 brand new BMW's in the driveway. Not only that, but it seemed like a lot of these people tended to hold blue collar jobs. I am not trying to put anyone or any occupation down and people are free to spend their money however they see fit, but it was just a total 180 from the social environment I grew up in in Louisville, where people generally don't make a fuss about how powerful they think they are or what their occupation is.

Not trying to put Pikeville down. I've always enjoyed my time there. I just wanted to share my experiences as it's always interesting to me to learn about the social dynamic of different places.

Last edited by pappy van winkle; 04-18-2010 at 11:09 PM..

Old 04-19-2010, 04:29 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,794,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
You're in a sad, poor, meaningless existence of a backwards civilization that will not exist when we move on from coal.
That will never happen in our lifetimes and probably not our kids either. Coal is still king.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:26 AM

I know, and I'm a supporter of coal, believe it or not.

...but the jobs just aren't there. I've lost a lot of family to deep mining, but it's a fact of life that it provided the jobs that fueled eastern KY. With new techniques of extraction, current infrastructure, and level of development, I see EKY as overpopulated with a bad breed.

I see that there could be great things done in EKY, no lie, but only once the people swallow their pride and work for better things. I honestly have more hope for Detroit.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I know, and I'm a supporter of coal, believe it or not.

...but the jobs just aren't there. I've lost a lot of family to deep mining, but it's a fact of life that it provided the jobs that fueled eastern KY. With new techniques of extraction, current infrastructure, and level of development, I see EKY as overpopulated with a bad breed.

I see that there could be great things done in EKY, no lie, but only once the people swallow their pride and work for better things. I honestly have more hope for Detroit.
I am not sure about rail, but there are zero interstates that run in that part of KY. It's hard to bring in industry when there is no good way in or out. Was it ever an option for I-64 to run through that part of KY? There are NO solutions without infrastructure.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:37 PM

There is very ancient, poorly maintained rail, very few, if any stations. I've never heard of a passenger rail station even in Lexington :S

I64 COULD have run through extreme eastern Kentucky but it'd have been an immense amount of labor and money to serve a less "important" population than Ashland and Morehead

Old 04-20-2010, 04:21 PM

663 posts, read 771,923 times
Wow this entire thread has been so interesting, reading opinions that were pro as well as con. Pikeville sounds as if "it's a nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there" -Rare Earth, 1970. The mountains have always facinated me, seems like heaven couldn't be any prettier, but I can't help but wonder why their tourist industry doesn't do better? Is it because as UKUKUK say's there's no rail system, are there bus stations, ample hotels, or is driving your only option? I also believe us "outsiders" have been scared off from movies like Deliverance & Wrong Turn, those awful images come to mind to folks who've never ventured into "the sticks". Comments such as people being backwards, towns that are incest laiden, haters of others who are not of the caucasion race are also frightening images. Yet even with all those myths/beliefs I think I'm still going to take a trip there just to inhale the visable awe of it all.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Wow this entire thread has been so interesting, reading opinions that were pro as well as con. Pikeville sounds as if "it's a nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there" -Rare Earth, 1970. The mountains have always facinated me, seems like heaven couldn't be any prettier, but I can't help but wonder why their tourist industry doesn't do better? Is it because as UKUKUK say's there's no rail system, are there bus stations, ample hotels, or is driving your only option? I also believe us "outsiders" have been scared off from movies like Deliverance & Wrong Turn, those awful images come to mind to folks who've never ventured into "the sticks". Comments such as people being backwards, towns that are incest laiden, haters of others who are not of the caucasion race are also frightening images. Yet even with all those myths/beliefs I think I'm still going to take a trip there just to inhale the visable awe of it all.
I hate to say this, but without some sort of interstate, tourism will be near zero there. People want easy access. Air, car/bus and rail. Looking at a map, they might as well be on the moon. I wonder had they put I-64 through there, would they have had the kind of tourism boom that Tennessee enjoys. We will never know.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 947 times
Good luck trying to find a place to rent that is bigger than a closet and not full of "varmints".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or