U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:52 AM

276 posts, read 714,681 times

Advertisements

Thanks, I suppose that I need to reconsider. However, again, who are the instructors at the community college? Some of these individuals with an MA must have come from other areas in order to teach in the community college system. I like mountains, but I wonder just how "hilly" the western portion of KY would be. Thanks for your response. I'll have to look at the Murray area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 04:45 PM

33 posts, read 143,708 times
I read with interest some of the comments about Pikeville. My husband & I lived there for 2 years back in the 70's when he was working for a construction company building a "cut thru" for the railroad. Yes we found the people to be wary of outsiders, took about 6 months to be accepted. I found the people to be kind, helpful and interesting to talk to, one had to learn to listen and not put down, this was their life, it was not up to me to pass judgement. I learned how quickly their life changes when I asked what the whistles were, & found it meant there was a accident at one of the mines & the # of whistles told which one. To this day I get a lump in my throat when there is a mining accident anywhere. We did find that people seemed about 50 years behind times, but we liked it that way. Hope I don't offend anyone, but I was once asked by one of my co workers, I worked for a CPA firm doing payroll for the coal mines if I ever knew a "gay" person and how would she know they were. I had worked with Gay people where I came from (Mass) told her to me we are all people and unless someone tells you or was very public about it, you won't know. We left Pikeville 30 years ago because my husbands next job was in New Mexico, before we left folks asked us to stay, I was offered a job with our veternarion who said "if you stay I'll train you to be my assistant" many times I wish we had. My husband had offers from the lumber yard, one of the mine owners & the local hardware store. I still correspond with two of the ladies with whom I became friends, & yes they came to my mobile home and I to theirs, they taught me to make corn bread in a cast iron skillet on the stove and I taught them to make pierogi's. I feel it depends on how you look at things and how you come across as to whether you'l be accepted or not. No I did not explore the "hollors" I was warned by my friends that it wouldn't be wise, but unless you were in law enforcement neither did the locals. I did eventually become friendly with someone who lived there, an elderly lady, she had no phone, running water, electricity, didn't matter to me til she fell, couldn't call for help & died. I've heard about the Satin worshiping amoung the local teens, that began long after we left, maybe its parents, law enforcement, peer pressure, lack of things to do, yes without a car there was very little to do except for high school sports, the local movie theather and hanging out at Jerry's Resturant out on route 23. Some years ago, maybe 8-10, Pikeville was written up in a book titled "100 best small towns in America". My friends who live there didn't know about it, I sent them a copy, they thought it was amuzing. Well I've rambled enough tried to give my point of view on the area that was home for two years.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:25 AM

Default Interesting points

I have been warned not to move to Eastern KY; yet, I have spoken to some people here in Florida that want to return to Pikeville (or around that particular area). Once again, I would have to believe that there are some people living there from other areas of the US since there is no way that all of the positions in education, et al could be filled completely by locals. I suppose that the best way in evaluating the situation would be to visit for a few days. I have heard or read both good and bad (mostly negative) comments about the area, but in the final analysis, one would have to make a decision for him or herself.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:02 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,947,519 times
Florida why don't you try renting for a bit and see what its like?

Old 08-12-2007, 09:41 PM

180 posts, read 897,686 times
It's a lovely area and completely different than living in a big city or metroplex.

As for calling their mother's "Mommy"... it's a regional thing. That is also the prevailing term in West Virginia.

I still call my mother "Mamma". The prevailing term where I lived in Tennessee.

These types of local vernacular are no different than those found saying "pop" or "soda" or "coke". It just depends on the area you are in.

Kentucky's lovely, laid back and there's always a friendly wave waiting up the holler when you are driving.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:21 AM

246 posts, read 960,566 times
Default highliner

I promise not to ruffle any feathers, as well as not to lie.....BUT I told you so told you so told you so told you so told you so told you so told you so told you so told you so told you so told you so!!!!!! So there!

Old 08-14-2007, 12:03 PM

190 posts, read 747,036 times
Highliner, you are crazy! I know you said you were disappointed, but considering that my family went to the Pikeville area last weekend and had a ball. I guess it's all in who's visiting and their attitude. We stopped at a little country store for ice creams, and before we knew it, we were talking to the owner like an old friend! We were even invited to a cook out-but was leaving out that evening and couldn't stay. We actually spent 2 days just driving around to see what there is to see. We drove around EVERYWHERE, from Pikeveill to Morehead, Farmers, Frenchburg, and every little town we came to we were treated the same-everyone was nice, helpful, and laid back. Did we see poverty? Yep. There were lots of older, kind of shabby houses and trailors around. And around them were huge homes, rolling farms, and people that seemed to be living a pretty darn good life! I guess if you go to a place hunting the "bad" you will find it. It just upsets me that people judge one another on their possessions instead of who they are. I stand my ground saying I would much rather live around a bunch of poor people than snobs! So, all you from E. Ky, I enjoyed visiting your areas, and I WILL be back again.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:15 PM

323 posts, read 989,039 times
Floridahater...

You will find people who dislike Eastern Kentucky AND those of us who LOVE Eastern Kentucky.

You are correct in your assumption... there ARE educated people in Eastern Kentucky and some of those are even transplants... whatdyaknow!

If you are looking for rural, mountainy, beautiful friendly people, for goodness sakes... drive over to Pikeville and check it out! BUT may I also suggest you look at Morehead too? It's not too awfully far from Pikeville.. sits right on I-64 for easy access to larger cities and amenities if you want them on occasion. We are home to Morehead State University, have cheaper cost of living than Pikeville, are surrounded by beautiful mountains.. have great school system in Rowan County, only about one hour drive to Lexington to the West and about the same one hour drive to Huntington, WV to the East. We have a Wal-Mart and Lowe's which you stated you wanted and the new Super Wal-Mart is currently being built and slated to open in January. People are friendly, educated AND welcoming to newcomers as well as proud of their locals.
I can't personally tell you about Pikeville, because I've just never been there myself, but many people enjoy what Eastern Kentucky has to offer. Most of the stereo-types are not true (although they do fit some), and many many people, myself included, LOVE the rural, mountainy, friendly, peaceful, LOW crime, neighbor-loving, cheap cost of living, slower pace of life than some of the "city slickers". Take ALL the opinions you get on here, as personal experiences, biases and preferences and please form your OWN opinion of what type of living you might enjoy. Give it a try.... we is some edumacated non-locals round 'ere. (Please understand I'm purposefully being fascitious)

Old 08-16-2007, 05:35 AM

190 posts, read 747,036 times
[quote=desiree253;1285867]Floridahater...

If you are looking for rural, mountainy, beautiful friendly people, for goodness sakes... drive over to Pikeville and check it out! BUT may I also suggest you look at Morehead too? QUOTE]

G' Morning Desiree! We finally got down to Morehead, and had a great time. We went to the fish hatchery, which was a disappointment. They wouldn't let us tour the outside runs of fish, just the inside "minnows". They did have a crocodile (the police confiscated it in a raid) which the kids loved. My daughter wanted to take it home with her and put it in her fish tank! Kids........geesh. We drove all around Cave Run Lake, took in the views, waded in a couple of places. The kids howled with laughter when they saw the little store there, the Dam Diner. They really got a kick out if it, and asked everybody if they had ever ate at the dam diner. You know kids....Then my youngest asked if they give a dam tour, and that was the end of that. I had to listen to them giggle and laugh for what seemed like hours!
I sure enjoyed your "neck of the woods". On the way back, we drove thru Red River Gorge, as we do all the time. We jumped in the river, cooled off, ate a picnic lunch and headed home. Have you noticed all the barns with the quilt patterns on the fronts on 70? The man that paints those asked my mom to design one! She's big into quiliting, and met him at the local county extension office. I was so proud!
Just wanted to say hi, and let you know that I followed your advise and came to visit. We are planning a weekend trip this fall when all the leaves turn.
All the best,
~joanna~

Old 08-16-2007, 04:30 PM

First of all, I thank all of you for your opinions. I very much appreciate the candid responses to my inquiry about relocating to E.KY. I will be visiting the area in Oct and I am planning on traveling from Hazard to Morehead.

I'm positive that I want to leave FL. I never wanted to live in a perpetual swamp. At any rate, somehow I will be leaving for the mountains away from the big city blues in the near future!

David
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or