Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:37 AM

276 posts, read 789,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm2978 View Post
Well People I know I am new here but I ran up on this place looking for some property. I like in Pikeville, not really the city area but moreso into the county. Some of the things that people are saying are outlandish. We are good people and new people fit in just as well. My best friend came here from Chicago and to tell the truth, she swears she will never move back home..There is poverty and there is wealth. I live in a "holler" and there is about the same amount of poverty as there is wealth. I was raised in a middle classed home and my father worked as a miner , same as he is today. We had a great life and then I had some very good friends down the road that wasn't as unfortunate, but our parents taught us good values, and we shared our things with them...So anyone can sit here and say anything they like about people, but the fact is you go to a city and you get onto these streets that have just as much poverty. So you look at it like this ...We personally don't have streets that just have poverty or wealth we are all mixed in together. I am not one that lives a bad life I don't have alot of money but my husband does haul coal for a living and makes decent wages. I don't go without no my kids, he has great health insurance..
To attempt the comments about education..I also have a education. I did go to college, it was a community college, but all the same it was an education..
As to being shunned if you come here. Not going to happen. It is exciting to meet new people and get an outlook on others lives and where they are from. It is all in how you treat the people you are meeting. If you act like you are better then they will treat you like your not.
The worshiping of Satan...Naw its nothing like that. Some do yes, but its not the norm or anything. Just like any other place...the dead cat or dog whatever it was on the door. That is plain crazy. I have lived here all my life and have never seen anything like that..This is mostly a Christian based community..Oh and also about the family murders..that the lady was talking about killing the family and throwing them in a ditch. Yes the people were from around here but it took place in Tenn..It DID NOT HAPPEN HERE..They were some kind of cult and have some mental issues and they has been about 5 or 6 years ago and has only been that incident, that Iam aware of..
So everyone this is my insite. It may or may not be what you want to hear, but what I am telling is the truth..I personally love it here and at times I do call my Mother , "MOMMY". Depending on what I want. I think it is rather endearing..I love my mother and you think about people being Mamma's kinds. Oboviously she did something right to make her kids love her so much..So think what you like, its your opinion..
SO before I close , I have one more thing to say. I have lived in a city or 2 in my time and when I get to see those mountains, I feel like a 1000 pounds have been lifted off my shoulds...
Thanks for listening..
I very much enjoyed reading your thread. I still would like to move to the area and I am continuing my efforts to do so. I am glad that you specifically addressed some of the adverse comments. Also, the affection for your mom as well as the geographic region is very apparent. Hey, once again I would say that there are good people everywhere, and I firmly believe that a good and responsbile Christian individual would be accepted in your area. Thank you again for your thread!!! I'm elated that you "unloaded" your opinions! Incidentally, I also feel like a load is taken off when I see those mountains; hence, I desire to live in your area on a permanent basis!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 07:03 PM

6 posts, read 21,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridahater View Post
Wow! This is all so strange. I am an educated individual with an MA in Education and an MA in English, and I have lived in big cities all of my life (in CA and the East Coast). I was thinking about relocating to the mountains of Kentucky. I hate Florida and large cities. Also, who is teaching at the junior colleges in Pikeville or Hazard? One is required to possess at least an MA degree.

I suppose that I would not have a chance for employment if acquiring a good job depends upon being a member of a family that goes back for generations. I am a conservative guy who would like to relocate to the mountains; however, based upon the responses on this thread, I can only surmise that I would not have much of a chance in obtaining a position in the field of education (or I would not be fully accepted by the locals). Indeed,these thread responses sure have shed some light on my desires; or, are my conclusions incorrect? I still do not want to live in another major city. I prefer solitude (especially since I write novels and short stories), but I definitely would not want to be rejected as a outsider if I did relocate! I would appreciate more responses concerning this matter. After all, there are good people everywhere in this great land of the USA!!
Thanks!
Live in Pikeville...Write your stories about the mountains...The old people here are 'something else'...You could spend the rest of your days listening to stories some of these people tell..There's just so much history, and it hasnt been tainted by big city life...My Grandfather came from a family of 12 other brothers and sisters ... My muse is constantly speaking to me while I'm at home..If I had the time and equipment I could definitely make a film rivaling other 'mountain movies'....If you want to get a glimpse of the feeling I get when I'm at home sometimes (not all the time) watch the movie "Songcatcher" that come out in 2000. This place is rich in culture whether the people here know it or not...

People here are proud of their culture, but lack of education puts a bad spin on the people... And I'm talking about the people's lack of education (book smarts and worldly smarts) makes them unable to communicate with the rest of the world... But it's amazing to me, I grew up in one of the dumpier towns in Pike County...However, several of my friends and myself included, have made it out of Pike County and are doing just as well and most of the time BETTER than students that grew up in other parts of the state and country. I dont know how it happens...My pre-secondary education was definitely sub-par...It wasnt from lack of effort by my teachers..But it was because the environment of the town wasnt aimed toward bettering yourself and preparing for the future...The school was geared more toward 'getting you through it and passing you on'...

And yeah Pike County is very political...But not to the extent that that guy let on...Granted this kind of treatment does ring true in certain circles...You'd be able to find a job if thats what you wanted... You may become some sort of a celebrity like the new Neurosurgeon at the hospital became! hah! No we're not that behind the time..Theres plenty of professionals in the town..If nothing else Pikeville will definetly be entertaining if you look in the right places....

If you want a further non-biased opinion on Pikeville and the surrounding area be sure to PM me, and I'll talk for days!

Old 09-22-2007, 08:58 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,418,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm2978 View Post
I was up Winns Branch just last week. My son has a little girlfriend that lives up there somewhere..I was up there looking for a place to rent until my husband and I start trying to buy...Your talking about the nice area there when you cross the bridge..Yes I know where you are talking about...
Hmmmph..You were right here and didn't stop by

Old 10-11-2007, 07:43 AM

11 posts, read 48,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotide4 View Post
It was just like I thought it would be.

Like I said very nice people but if they ever want more for there region things and attitudes need to change or they will keep loosing there own to better places with more opportunity .
Perhaps your first statement was the problem..."It was just like I thought it would be"...Sounds like you had already made up your mind.

In response to your later statement...perhaps if you had a different "ATTITUDE" people would be more receptive of you...everyone doesn't leave and never return...everyone does not fit your pre-conceived notions...You said you talked with another couple at Applebees who had moved into the area...perhaps you could have gotten a little different take on the area if you'd spent some time talking to a couple who had actually been raised in the area and who actually had ties to the area other than just a job situation.

Sounds to me as if you had your mind made up before you got there and nothing was going to change it.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:26 PM

Welcome back Talk, every once in awhile I pop in here just to check the Pikeville and East Ky threads to see if it is okay to postUsually I don't because my feelings get hurtI have recently met up with a couple neighbors who had nice things to say on here and a few others on the other forums..

Old 10-19-2007, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,396 times
Smile Don't be so quick to judge

It has been a long time since I have been to Pikeville but am not surprised by the thread I am reading. Especially when it comes to vistor's 1st impressions of the region. I was born in Pikeville and like many others I left soon after graduation for bigger and brighter things. I 1st settled in Lexington for a couple of years but eventually moved to Richmond VA in 1979 and have been here since then. I have made a good life for myself in Richmond and will be eligible for early retirement from the DoD (dept of defense) and have given a fleeting thought to retiring in KY but it was a "fleeting" thought. D
on't knock KY it is a good place. Pikeville is exactly as you see it. A rural community full of God fearing people who for the most part are happy with the lives they have chosen. It is a good place to raise children and a good place to retire but it is not the land of opportunity Coal is the major commodity in Pikeville and it is a hard life for the men who choose the mines. Not that they have a lot of choice but many of the young men (and now women) know when they are just children that this is the job they will work when they are eligible. For those of you who are interested in teaching in Eastern KY, I am sure the school board would love to have you apply. There is a shortage of teachers everywhere. As for the person who questioned what kids did for fun and suggested "satanism": parents of kids in Pikeville probablly have a much tighter control over their kids than in larger cities. And if they are anything like mine were, parents put the fear of God into their kids so they for the most part are too scared to get into too much trouble. I have a 15 year old daughter and there is a part of me (small part) that wishes she was in an environment where life is lived at a much slower pace.
Bottom line: Stay away if you can't handle a quieter, slower life style. If you can, Pikeville is the place for you.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:08 PM

276 posts, read 789,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYbornVA4ever View Post
It has been a long time since I have been to Pikeville but am not surprised by the thread I am reading. Especially when it comes to vistor's 1st impressions of the region. I was born in Pikeville and like many others I left soon after graduation for bigger and brighter things. I 1st settled in Lexington for a couple of years but eventually moved to Richmond VA in 1979 and have been here since then. I have made a good life for myself in Richmond and will be eligible for early retirement from the DoD (dept of defense) and have given a fleeting thought to retiring in KY but it was a "fleeting" thought. D
on't knock KY it is a good place. Pikeville is exactly as you see it. A rural community full of God fearing people who for the most part are happy with the lives they have chosen. It is a good place to raise children and a good place to retire but it is not the land of opportunity Coal is the major commodity in Pikeville and it is a hard life for the men who choose the mines. Not that they have a lot of choice but many of the young men (and now women) know when they are just children that this is the job they will work when they are eligible. For those of you who are interested in teaching in Eastern KY, I am sure the school board would love to have you apply. There is a shortage of teachers everywhere. As for the person who questioned what kids did for fun and suggested "satanism": parents of kids in Pikeville probablly have a much tighter control over their kids than in larger cities. And if they are anything like mine were, parents put the fear of God into their kids so they for the most part are too scared to get into too much trouble. I have a 15 year old daughter and there is a part of me (small part) that wishes she was in an environment where life is lived at a much slower pace.
Bottom line: Stay away if you can't handle a quieter, slower life style. If you can, Pikeville is the place for you.
Well, I will be visiting the area from Hazard to Pikeville next week. I want a quieter and slower life; therefore, I can safely assume that Pikeville and surrounding area is exactly what I would be looking for (a more peaceful life)! I'm looking forward to the trip! Personally, I would never want to live in Richmond, but I'm glad that the city has been good to you!

Old 10-20-2007, 10:44 PM

25 posts, read 181,338 times
Is Phyllis near Pikeville? Does anyone know anything about this area?

Old 10-22-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyjewell View Post
Is Phyllis near Pikeville? Does anyone know anything about this area?
Phyllis is about 25 miles from Pikeville..It is in Route 194. Rt 194 runs off of State 119 out of Pikeville. Phyllis is actually just a rural area on Grapevine mountain, that has several churches, a post office and quite a few families..It is very near Fishtrap Lake which is a State Park..Phyllis is about 18 -20 miles from Phelps, which is a small town with a highschool, vocational school, several restaurants, churches businesses and a post office.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,360 times
Home is where you make it. There are numbers of places I would never subject my children again. I previously lived in Columbus (Crack Land) Ohio. The ghetto bird (police helicopter) flew over the city all night long in search of rapists, murders, gang bangers, drug dealers....etc. We did not even live inner city and had to deal with all that ****.

My grandparents left me and my mother 165 acres of property in Pike County. I was thrilled to move away from the ridiculous crime and snobbish people in Ohio. I was born in Pikeville, lived on Greasy Creek, (be snobbish living with an address as such...NOT LOL) all my childhood and then uprooted to Columbus cause everyone thought it would be better for my education. Yes, to a point it was cause it taught me to really hate white trash as well as black trash.

No matter where you live there are issues to deal with. You have a choice in life, change what makes you unhappy or live with it. But don't downgrade a place because it is a small town you don't like, MOVE AWAY, we wont miss you anyway.

PIKEVILLE ROCKS !!!!!!!!!!

Shut up and move away if you don't like it here. Move to a crack infested inner city dirt haven if that what gets you off. I would ten times rather be bored in the sticks than dead from inner city violence.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky