U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2008, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Near L.A.
4,114 posts, read 9,257,226 times
Reputation: 3352

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahellen View Post
I really don’t care what ‘outsiders’ think of our area, because to me, their opinion doesn’t matter.
They are just judgmental and ignorant close-minded people, imo, who don’t understand culture unless it’s “designer labeled” culture. But I had to take up for my locals.
To the ‘haters’ of our area:
Why are you in our area in the first place if we have no opportunities? Basically, opportunity brought you to our beloved area, remember that.
You have some quirks about yourself, so let me quickly type them for you.
Nasal accents. Talk too fast, and too loud. Rude. Snobs. Unfriendly. Buys into the ignorance of materialism. Don’t socialize with lower income people. Worried about “social status”. Won’t walk into a Wal-mart to by laundry detergent . And pretend to be something you are not. And for the most part, liars and backstabbers. Like coming to our small towns and brown nosing us with comments like “ We love the mountains“. “We love your accents“. “Everyone is so friendly, we love it here.” Suck-ups.
Some of you came from areas that you can’t walk down the street without seeing some homeless person setting on a bench. Or get anywhere on time because of rush hour. Or stop at a red light without some crack head trying to wash your windshield.. And the transportation in some areas, gross. Who wants to ride in a nasty taxi or smelly subway? Please. Get over yourselves. A lot of you lived/live in the suburbs but still have to go into town or in the city to shop or have entertainment were the freaks are out and about on the streets. Yeah, we have our freaks, but you have your freaks as well, so stop pretending.
And some of you say we don‘t have neighborhoods. We have what you call hollows or “hollers “(as we call them). That’s our neighborhoods.
We are true to ourselves. Most of us are good hearted people. We are all raised together, rich and poor. The rich aren’t snobs and the poor aren’t out casts. We are not raised to think highly of ourselves based on income, or judge others by their income. We are raised to judge a person on personality and good deeds. We respect each other. We go to the same churches, schools, events, and restaurants. So what if there is a mansion and two houses down is a tailor park? So what if one of us wears designer clothes and the other plain jeans and tees? We all know each other and it doesn’t matter. It’s common to have a best friend who lives in a trailer park. We all get along just fine. Why? Because for the most part we are all good people. And some of us even have electricity, running water, and colored TV too, SHOCK. And in some places cell service, LOL on that one...
And last: Our summers are gorgeous. Our autumns are gorgeous. Our snowed covered mountains are gorgeous. So go back to the overcrowded hole you crawled out of and go to college and get a job there.
And I apologize for my unkindness, but this had to be said.
Wow...it's perfectly okay to defend your town in spite of its flaws and what not, but still...

To quote a gentleman from the Alabama forum one time, "How are things in hootin' holler?"

And I would've never guessed that folks like ya'll had 'lectric. You did forget to mention sewer, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2008, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Near L.A.
4,114 posts, read 9,257,226 times
Reputation: 3352
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1 View Post
How are we supposed to be friendly when you say that when we mention how nice or pretty it is that we are sucking up what do you suggest we say...with your mindset anything positive will be sucking up. I guess there aren't liars and backstabbers in Pikeville? You managed to insult more people in one post than I have ever seen on here. Way to go and way to represent the wonderful Pikeville. I am open minded enough to know that not all from that area are like you....too bad you can't figure that out about "outsiders"
And, as you always say, "Would you like some sweet tea?"

Why'd you leave that line out? I love when you do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Umm...don't they have a college in Pikeville???
Yes, Pikeville College, as well as the P.C. School of Osteopathic Medicine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
2,927 posts, read 7,589,544 times
Reputation: 1327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahellen View Post
I really don’t care what ‘outsiders’ think of our area, because to me, their opinion doesn’t matter.
They are just judgmental and ignorant close-minded people, imo, who don’t understand culture unless it’s “designer labeled” culture. But I had to take up for my locals.
To the ‘haters’ of our area:
Why are you in our area in the first place if we have no opportunities? Basically, opportunity brought you to our beloved area, remember that.
You have some quirks about yourself, so let me quickly type them for you.
Nasal accents. Talk too fast, and too loud. Rude. Snobs. Unfriendly. Buys into the ignorance of materialism. Don’t socialize with lower income people. Worried about “social status”. Won’t walk into a Wal-mart to by laundry detergent . And pretend to be something you are not. And for the most part, liars and backstabbers. Like coming to our small towns and brown nosing us with comments like “ We love the mountains“. “We love your accents“. “Everyone is so friendly, we love it here.” Suck-ups.
Some of you came from areas that you can’t walk down the street without seeing some homeless person setting on a bench. Or get anywhere on time because of rush hour. Or stop at a red light without some crack head trying to wash your windshield.. And the transportation in some areas, gross. Who wants to ride in a nasty taxi or smelly subway? Please. Get over yourselves. A lot of you lived/live in the suburbs but still have to go into town or in the city to shop or have entertainment were the freaks are out and about on the streets. Yeah, we have our freaks, but you have your freaks as well, so stop pretending.
And some of you say we don‘t have neighborhoods. We have what you call hollows or “hollers “(as we call them). That’s our neighborhoods.
We are true to ourselves. Most of us are good hearted people. We are all raised together, rich and poor. The rich aren’t snobs and the poor aren’t out casts. We are not raised to think highly of ourselves based on income, or judge others by their income. We are raised to judge a person on personality and good deeds. We respect each other. We go to the same churches, schools, events, and restaurants. So what if there is a mansion and two houses down is a tailor park? So what if one of us wears designer clothes and the other plain jeans and tees? We all know each other and it doesn’t matter. It’s common to have a best friend who lives in a trailer park. We all get along just fine. Why? Because for the most part we are all good people. And some of us even have electricity, running water, and colored TV too, SHOCK. And in some places cell service, LOL on that one...
And last: Our summers are gorgeous. Our autumns are gorgeous. Our snowed covered mountains are gorgeous. So go back to the overcrowded hole you crawled out of and go to college and get a job there.
And I apologize for my unkindness, but this had to be said.
And you get a BIG applaud from me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 03:35 PM
 
145 posts, read 467,094 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
And you get a BIG applaud from me!
Way to applaud rudeness and a small minded way of thinking. You all have an accute case of Napoleon syndrome. If it's not your way it's the wrong way and the snobby way. If there is another opinion about how things could be it is not only wrong but smug and coming from a high horse. The eastern kentucky "we are victims" and "thats how it has always been so that is how we like it" is getting old. It seems your way is very efficient at creating a cycle of poverty and you mock anyone who dares to make more for themselves by leaving and getting a degree. Would you like some sweet tea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
2,927 posts, read 7,589,544 times
Reputation: 1327
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1 View Post
Way to applaud rudeness and a small minded way of thinking. You all have an accute case of Napoleon syndrome. If it's not your way it's the wrong way and the snobby way. If there is another opinion about how things could be it is not only wrong but smug and coming from a high horse. The eastern kentucky "we are victims" and "thats how it has always been so that is how we like it" is getting old. It seems your way is very efficient at creating a cycle of poverty and you mock anyone who dares to make more for themselves by leaving and getting a degree. Would you like some sweet tea?
Where are you from Mr. Man??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Pikeville, Ky.
13,581 posts, read 21,764,383 times
Reputation: 18158
Leahellen says in her post that it was for "The haters" of this area.. I have seen many very negative posts about East Ky here,(I think she was reading some of the past posts which were so hurtful that I barely come to this forum even though I love all of Ky).. I must say that there has been a big turnaround with positive posts in the past few months and I thank those posters..I, like many of the residents live here out of choice..I love the laid back, friendly people of the area, and I love the beauty of the mountains..Some of my fellow east Ky neighbors may enjoy my blog here on "Mountain Folks" It is the story of my first trip through the region back in 1961
Mountain Folk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 05:07 PM
 
2,064 posts, read 6,028,254 times
Reputation: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Leahellen says in her post that it was for "The haters" of this area.. I have seen many very negative posts about East Ky here,(I think she was reading some of the past posts which were so hurtful that I barely come to this forum even though I love all of Ky).. I must say that there has been a big turnaround with positive posts in the past few months and I thank those posters..I, like many of the residents live here out of choice..I love the laid back, friendly people of the area, and I love the beauty of the mountains..Some of my fellow east Ky neighbors may enjoy my blog here on "Mountain Folks" It is the story of my first trip through the region back in 1961
Mountain Folk
Yeah, says "The haters" and then proceeds to bash those who even say nice things about the region. Simply sounds like an angry, bitter person to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 06:08 PM
 
145 posts, read 467,094 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Where are you from Mr. Man??
I am from Fort Mitchell Kentucky and now live in Lexington for work. Say what you want about where I am from but the difference between leahellen and I is that I will only think you are rude and will not make the mistake that she has which is to characterize a whole group of people by just a few people's words. I'm not going to blame all of Eastern Kentucky for your insulting words. Would you like some sweet tea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
2,927 posts, read 7,589,544 times
Reputation: 1327
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1 View Post
I am from Fort Mitchell Kentucky and now live in Lexington for work. Say what you want about where I am from but the difference between leahellen and I is that I will only think you are rude and will not make the mistake that she has which is to characterize a whole group of people by just a few people's words. I'm not going to blame all of Eastern Kentucky for your insulting words. Would you like some sweet tea?
Uhhh, my insulting words?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 06:17 PM
 
145 posts, read 467,094 times
Reputation: 84
Just figured they were coming....I'm sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top