U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 10:07 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,238,906 times

Advertisements

Let's see:

• A large contingent of its population who is weary of "the outside"
  • Lack of higher educational attainment and, consequently, economic opportunities
  • Lack of infrastructure and flat land to successfully develop any large facilities from automotive factories to research centers to resorts (except for the old leveled strip mine areas, but most of those are in BFE)
These are all reasons why eastern Kentucky is behind the times, PERIOD, even the more "economically progressive" (and I use that term loosely) areas like London and Corbin. For that matter, that is why eastern Kentucky is holding the rest of the state back in terms of economic progress and matters of education and healthiness when compared to many of the other 50 states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,092 times
wow.. well first of all I must say I stumbled upon this thread about Pikeville. I have to say I left when I turned 18 for a better opportunity. I knew I wouldn't be able to accomplish my dreams by staying in the Pikeville area. However it's not a totally backward place.

Foremost i'm openly gay and 30 white male so I came out when I was in highschool and not once did someone call me a *** or anything along that line. I still go back to Pikeville and visit family and friends and no one cares.... in fact I've met more gay and lesbian people in the Pikeville area over the years and no one seems to have an issue with it as a so called backward town would.

Also growing up in a "holler" south of Pikeville was just plain awesome. It's like a hodge-podged subdivision in a way. True it's not organized in an orderly fashion as a flat land subdivision and truely you have one nice house next to a trailer next to a run down house next to a nice house.

But that didn't matter to anyone... people are just people regardless of financial status. People who look after one anothers kids as if they were their own and you treated those people with the respect you would treat your own parents.

Also I grew up with Puerto Rican neighbors and another lady on the holler who was from Hungary who married an eastern Kentucky coal miner.
One of my best friends in high school was born in Iceland to a phillipino/icelandic father who married an Eastern Kentucky woman and they chose to move from Iceland to Pike County. I also went to school with kids who had a white father and a korean mother. There was a Korean grocery store owner in Hellier.
My high school also had excahnge students from France, Sweden Germany and other countries which was awesome.

We weren't totally isolated from other cultures.

I think I was very lucky to grow up where I did and to learn that though people in my holler (which is a neighborhood to me) though people had different financial status that didn't matter. There was never an air of snobbery or better than thou attitudes.

I know I missed out on a lot of opportunities growing up where I did as compared to an urban area such as Louisville but I was also raised in an environment where financial status, race and even sexuality was overlooked with a "to each thier own attitude" and it was in Lookout, KY where KY highways 611 and 195 intersect. To me that was my world growing up and I couldn't have asked for better neighbors or a better neighborhood.

For those who experience stereotypes while visiting Eastern Kentucky I can guarantee you will always experience that. However I can easily experience lots of stereotypes in any city that each one of you who post on here are from.

I mean for example I had an amusing time doing a mullet count once on Chicago's Blue line from O'Hare heading into the Loop. The number of mullets: 11...

Old 08-25-2008, 02:05 AM

13,575 posts, read 21,734,191 times
[quote=jcm1986;4984868 For that matter, that is why eastern Kentucky is holding the rest of the state back in terms of economic progress and matters of education and healthiness when compared to many of the other 50 states.[/quote]

We here in Eastern Kentucky are also responsible for the high price of gas, the war in Iraq , the immigration crisis, and most of all we are responsible for losing Tubby Smith to Minnesota..

Old 08-25-2008, 07:16 AM

8,262 posts, read 16,384,096 times
I think if a person comes to a rural, somewhat economically depressed area with a holier than thou attitude and his nose up in the air, he will be treated with contempt by the locals. Nobody wants outsiders to come to their home and act like they are better than them. Maybe the problem is the OPs, not the Pikeville locals. I fish, antique shop, dine and travel Eastern Kentucky as often as possible and have ALWAYS been treated wonderfully. Of course it doesnt hurt that i take the time to sit and have a cold drink and talk huntin and fishin with the locals. Try that next time and maybe bring your nose out of the air a few inches!

Old 08-25-2008, 10:06 AM

145 posts, read 466,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I think if a person comes to a rural, somewhat economically depressed area with a holier than thou attitude and his nose up in the air, he will be treated with contempt by the locals. Nobody wants outsiders to come to their home and act like they are better than them. Maybe the problem is the OPs, not the Pikeville locals. I fish, antique shop, dine and travel Eastern Kentucky as often as possible and have ALWAYS been treated wonderfully. Of course it doesnt hurt that i take the time to sit and have a cold drink and talk huntin and fishin with the locals. Try that next time and maybe bring your nose out of the air a few inches!
Be careful...according to Leahellen any kind talking from the "outsiders" is considered fake, kissing up, and only adds to their distain of people not from the area. Apperently coming in with a good attitude is only looked at as fake according to her. This is the only place I have been in the country where you are called and outsider if not from the area....very welcoming. And Blue...it's not your fault we lost Tubby..gas prices on the other hand...j/k.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:44 PM

8 posts, read 17,673 times
Sandman,
1st: I pointed out that my post was to the people who throw off on our area, not everyone. Proven in my comment of "To the ‘haters’ of our area:" I know "outsiders" and not everyone of them is against living here.

You stated:
"The fact that you look at others with education and some college in such a negative light strikes to the heart of why eastern kentucky will always have some of the poorest counties in the country and some of the most unhealthy people as well.
If you look so poorly on people with education...."
*I never once stated I looked down on education or educated people. Where you even got that is beyond me. I never even mentioned education in my post. The only thing I mentioned was the word college.
Let me explain my closing of "go to college and get a job there":
Explanation: If we are so poor and this is the land of NO opportunity, then go to college where you are from. Which isn't going to happen, because basically, we have top notch education here in the boonies. Plain and simple.

Sorry you took my post personal.

One last comment on this subject and I am through with discussing it.
If you don't want to stay here, then don't. Get an education and leave.
If you want to stay here after you get an education, then do.

If you see our area has needs, then be an asset to our community while you are here and do something about it. If you aren't going to do anything, then keep your degrading remarks to yourself, and stop pointing your finger at the poor uneducated people who do make up a majority of our area like they are zoo animals. They are people. And I love 'em every one.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:56 PM

kentuckydad,
yeah, there is zoning in some areas, like the "gate type communities" for lack of a better term. But it's not uncommon for people here that own their own large piece of land up a "holler" to build a big house, and then next door would be the grandmaw in her trailor, hehe. Totally cute.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:05 PM

145 posts, read 466,698 times
Leahellen, it is obvious that you love your area. I enjoy your area as well...it is just frustrating that things just haven't really changed in years there for one reason or another. While I'll be the first to admitt not all change is a good thing I would say that it just seems that no matter who is in office or what people try to do nothing really changes there. I don't know why people from the area just accept all of the poor areas and the lack of education in the region. It seems that people just accept what they are and keep the status quo instead of trying to improve things. Eastern Kentucky is in much the same shape is was fifty years ago. If people there don't want to change then thats fine but don't look at other parts of the state that have moved forward as snobs or always looking down their noses at you. Would you like some sweet tea?

Old 08-25-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Yeah, says "The haters" and then proceeds to bash those who even say nice things about the region. Simply sounds like an angry, bitter person to me.
Every one on here knows who the post was directed toward.

Now, now, let's not open a new argue on a quote taken out of context. I was talking about those who swear an oath they love it here, and then get caught up in it. Maybe you didn't see my postion clear enough on the topic.

I'm not angry and bitter. I was just stating facts.

And as much as I would like to continue arguing, court is out of session.
Everyone has a point of view. I hear everyone's. I understand completely where you all are coming from.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1 View Post
Leahellen, it is obvious that you love your area. I enjoy your area as well...it is just frustrating that things just haven't really changed in years there for one reason or another. While I'll be the first to admitt not all change is a good thing I would say that it just seems that no matter who is in office or what people try to do nothing really changes there. I don't know why people from the area just accept all of the poor areas and the lack of education in the region. It seems that people just accept what they are and keep the status quo instead of trying to improve things. Eastern Kentucky is in much the same shape is was fifty years ago. If people there don't want to change then thats fine but don't look at other parts of the state that have moved forward as snobs or always looking down their noses at you. Would you like some sweet tea?
I don't understand your "50 yrs behind". It is true on a lifestyle/people's appearance and homes basis, but not a technology one.

I know in the Buchanan County VA area some of the college students were mad that they didn't have a Barnes and Noble. And were basically shocked (being law and pharm students, you'd think those particular students would've done research and known the type of area they were embarking upon). Is this the type of change with the times you mean...
I don't what to assume that's what you mean, so what is your definition of 50 years behind? I am interested to know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or