U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:41 PM

8 posts, read 17,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Wow...it's perfectly okay to defend your town in spite of its flaws and what not, but still...

To quote a gentleman from the Alabama forum one time, "How are things in hootin' holler?"

And I would've never guessed that folks like ya'll had 'lectric. You did forget to mention sewer, though.
We still don't have sewer, but the cell reception is excellent down by the outhouse! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 10:43 PM

8 posts, read 17,669 times
Thanks London, blue and kentuckydad!

Old 08-25-2008, 10:46 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,226,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahellen View Post
We still don't have sewer, but the cell reception is excellent down by the outhouse! lol
Seriously, though, surely Pikeville, Elkhorn City, and South Williamson have some kind of sewer system.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:59 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,861,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahellen View Post

Now that is funny...lol.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:01 AM

13,570 posts, read 21,713,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Seriously, though, surely Pikeville, Elkhorn City, and South Williamson have some kind of sewer system.
Of course they do.. Leahellen is joking Remember that Pike County is a very large place..We are in the beginnings of supplying sewer system to the entire county..The county water project is almost conplete, as far as I know..We even have cable tv and dsl

Old 08-26-2008, 12:45 PM

8,262 posts, read 16,367,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1 View Post
Be careful...according to Leahellen any kind talking from the "outsiders" is considered fake, kissing up, and only adds to their distain of people not from the area. Apperently coming in with a good attitude is only looked at as fake according to her. This is the only place I have been in the country where you are called and outsider if not from the area....very welcoming. And Blue...it's not your fault we lost Tubby..gas prices on the other hand...j/k.
The term "outsiders" has been used by hill people since the Appalachians were first settled. It is not a derogatory term. It simply means that "you aint from around here." As i see it, it is up to outsiders to conform to the local customs and mores and stop being offended by ways that you dont understand. as i stated before, sitting and talking with locals and not appearing to think that your ways are better than theirs can take you along way. because i have an understanding of the ways of mountain life [having been born in a holler] and not assuming I am better than those less educated than myself, I have absolutely no problems being accepted by the wonderful folks up in "dem dar hills!"

Old 08-26-2008, 02:07 PM

13,570 posts, read 21,713,951 times
Good point Capt. Dan..I was considered an outsider when we first moved into the area because no one knew who my "Daddy was"..When strangers here meet that is usually one of the first questions asked..That way you find out who everyone is related to and once they know where in the county you were raised then they can ask if you know "so and so" who lives over there My husband was raised here so he of course knows everyone, and all their relatives..Anyway, I fit in just fine once people got to know me, mainly because I adapted to their ways of friendliness and openess and hospitality, I never tried to teach my "citified" ways to them...That was over thirty years ago..Things have changed a lot since then, but the people born, rasised and who stay here because they have decent jobs and want to raise their kids here,still want to know "Who's your Daddy" when they meet a stranger..The bottom line is that no one remains a stranger long here..I love it

Old 09-29-2008, 01:52 AM

246 posts, read 960,566 times
Default highliner

Quote "...we have top notch education here in the boonies." hahahahahahahahaha, um, no actually, you don't, as a general rule. Thanks for giving me my laugh of the day. Lack of educational and/or employment opportunities were a few of the reasons why we moved out of the Pikeville, Ky., area , where my paternal side of the family has lived since about 1782.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:56 AM

246 posts, read 960,566 times
Default highliner

I'll bet a nickel some of you think that I must have gotten a lot of paddlings as a kid, but who would/could ever get mad at sweet old me? Hey! Don't waste all that electricity posting a response! Shame on you, really...sheesh.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,055 times
For some one that is living in another state and just applied for a job in Pikeville, I guess this is not the forum to come and get a good idea of what Pikeville is truly like??? Or is it????? I think people should avoid personnal opinion that tears others down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or