Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 05:38 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,018,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingandring View Post
I was born in Louisville Kentucky, have traveled all over the United States as a bartender, get along with most people as long as they respect me I respect them. I am educated and back in school, I have family in Columbia, Ky and am thinking of moving to Columbia to be near family, presently I live in Southern CA in Orange County. CA people are certainly differently, but I am weary of big cities. Would like to come to Columbia and perhaps work as a bartender if the county is not dry or in the hospital as I have worked in that field in many areas.
If you're a bartender, this thread (and link) may help you on where bartenders are (can) be employed in non-dry counties.

Kentucky and dry counties

Dry county - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 05:04 PM

8 posts, read 15,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
And even away from the more liberal neighborhoods and college communities within Lou., Lex. N. Ky., and the university towns you'll still have a hard time.

Kentuckians are pretty live and let live in terms of leaving you be to practice and think whatever. But it's not a place where they would feel more openly embraced and accepted like L.A., S.F., N.Y.C., Chicago, Atlanta, Boston, D.C., etc.
You can practice and think what you like, but a lot of people's ideas of having a social life in SE KY region is gossiping, pure and simple. You have to truly not give a rat's ass what people say or think, then you'll be fine.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:29 PM

3 posts, read 32,829 times
Well, my husband and I moved up here from southeast Alabama 3 years ago and we love it.
I am a native Vermonter, he is a native Kentuckian from the Louisville area, but we both spent over 25 years in the deep low down Dirty South--southeast Alabama (a place I lovingly(not) refer to as the pit of life)--before moving up here.
We are just west of Greensburg, Kentucky just off of state rt. 88. We rent a house for $350 a month, that sits on 440 acres of some of the most beautiful land you ever want to see. We see 3 or 4 cars a day--there is only one house past ours, and that part of the road to his house from the dead end of the road right in front of our house, is his driveway. He comes up once a day to check his mail--the mail man, the school bus turns around in our driveway, as there IS no other place to turn a big 'ol bus around on this narrow little road...I feel lucky that it's even paved at all...LOL!
I have found the people of Greensburg to be very pleasant, and very "live and let live", as you say. Granted, my husband and I are older--he's 60, I'm 48--and we don't do much "hanging out" at all, and consequently, we don't really have a problem with anyone "gossiping" about us, or whatever, at least as far as we know. We care not at all if someone wants to gossip about us. We don't belong to any of the churches, and we don't drink, so we don't hang out in bars. We mainly hang out on our 440 acres with our 10 cats and our beagle, and all the rest of the wildlife out here. We have a pond that is about an acre in size that we can fish in whenever we want...it's about the length of a football field from our house. We have a civil war era cemetery about a hundred feet behind our house. As a ghost hunter, to me, THAT is one of the greatest things about this place.
I could go on and on about how wonderful it is here.
I have looked at houses in Liberty in the past...it's beautiful there.
I know you posted this about a year ago, but in case you haven't hear of it before...check out a site called hotpads.com .
Search for houses for sale in Kentucky between $30,000 and $80,000. You will NOT believe how many houses there are WITH LAND in that price range.
Also, check the classified sections of all the local newspapers. My husband found our landlord while we were still living in Alabama, by reading the Greensburg Record Herald classifieds, online. To start that search, just Google "Newspapers in Kentucky", find one in the county/city you want to be, and there ya go...

Good luck, and don't let these naysayers on here get to you. Kentucky is awesome. I believe it's because it was mostly on the right side in the Civil War. LOL...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky