U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 05:22 PM

Location: A rich man is not one who has the most, but one who needs the least
25 posts, read 71,212 times
Default Columbia, KY - How will Independent Thinkers fare there??

Our family (DH and I, kids 3.5 and 1.5 and my mom) is seeking to move to KY in the near future. After some research I compiled a list of possibilities and Liberty was always on top of the list, while Columbia was always at the bottom of my list - mostly because of the negative opinions I have read on here and on local town forums pertaining to local government corruption, police abuse of power, possible racism, etc.

As LIberty is on top of our list, we really wanted to focus our energies there but a contract we had entered into may now fall apart as the seller had misrepresented certain important issues.

We are scheduled to come down for 2 wks in August and were hoping to find something then.

Anyways, while waiting for the Liberty deal to formally be terminated, DH and I have come across a back up possibility but my gut is telling me it would not be suitable for us because of town's reputation and because of our way of thinking and desire to be left alone. We are free thinkers and really just want to be in a "live and let live" environment and from what I have read Columbia is not really condusive towards that end. Can someone please correct me if I am wrong?

Also, are there alot of Amish/Mennonites in Columbia. Knowing that there are would make me feel so much better as that was part of our wanting to be in LIberty, Ky.

It is not my intention to offend anyone with my query or to start any debates. I am sincerely just looking for opinions from those open minded folks that have or do live(d) in the area. It is really hard thinking about the possibility of uprooting one's family only to go from the frying pan (NJ) into the fire...

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 05:28 PM

2,892 posts, read 5,002,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelah View Post
Also, are there alot of Amish/Mennonites in Columbia. Knowing that there are would make me feel so much better as that was part of our wanting to be in LIberty, Ky.
There may be some Amish in Columbia (Adair County) but Casey County has the largest Amish population in the state. Since the Amish live in very rural areas, Columbia may be a bit too big for Amish to consider (even though it is a small town).

Old 07-13-2011, 05:06 AM

3 posts, read 4,676 times
Not really sure what you are looking for,but if seclusion is the main concern then Casey Co would be high on the list in this area.However,it is also considered to one most "backward" places as far as being able to provide jobs,hospitals,city services, etc.If the latter is of more importance,probably Lebanon,Campbellsville or any nearby town would be better than Liberty or Columbia.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:51 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,927,901 times
I'm having a hard time judging what you are looking for unless you could define your terms a little better. "Independent thinkers" and "live and let live" could be anything from a tea party adherent to a bi-racial, gay couple with kids. If you are the former, you'll fit in well in Columbia. If you are the latter, you won't. At all.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:14 AM

14,718 posts, read 16,691,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
I'm having a hard time judging what you are looking for unless you could define your terms a little better. "Independent thinkers" and "live and let live" could be anything from a tea party adherent to a bi-racial, gay couple with kids. If you are the former, you'll fit in well in Columbia. If you are the latter, you won't. At all.
I'm thinking more atheist/agnostic libertarian-like when I hear free thinker and live and let live. If that is the case, you'll have a hard time in any part of KY that isn't Lou, Lex, NKY, or a college town.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:28 AM

3,381 posts, read 5,277,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm thinking more atheist/agnostic libertarian-like when I hear free thinker and live and let live. If that is the case, you'll have a hard time in any part of KY that isn't Lou, Lex, NKY, or a college town.
And even away from the more liberal neighborhoods and college communities within Lou., Lex. N. Ky., and the university towns you'll still have a hard time.

Kentuckians are pretty live and let live in terms of leaving you be to practice and think whatever. But it's not a place where they would feel more openly embraced and accepted like L.A., S.F., N.Y.C., Chicago, Atlanta, Boston, D.C., etc.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:

LOL... I thought I did mention my DH. Although I don't like labels, I guess we are what most would consider libertarians. So I am guessing Casey county as someone else suggested would be a better fit.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
And even away from the more liberal neighborhoods and college communities within Lou., Lex. N. Ky., and the university towns you'll still have a hard time.

Kentuckians are pretty live and let live in terms of leaving you be to practice and think whatever. But it's not a place where they would feel more openly embraced and accepted like L.A., S.F., N.Y.C., Chicago, Atlanta, Boston, D.C., etc.

Not looking to be accepted.. just left alone. Larger cities are not for us... we are seeking a more secluded rural environment thus the need to get out of NJ.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
You got it mostly right Alanboy395... but unfortunately, populated areas are not for us.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:54 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,927,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelah View Post
Not looking to be accepted.. just left alone. Larger cities are not for us... we are seeking a more secluded rural environment thus the need to get out of NJ.
I think "isolated" would be more accurate that "left alone" in these rural counties. And that could easily include your kids, which would concern me.

Honestly, there are some wonderful, accepting areas of Kentucky. But with rare exception, being a free thinker in rural Kentucky isn't one of them, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky