Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 10,640 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to Bowling Green, KY. We are looking to buy a new construction condo/townhome. What are some newer subdivisions in the city? What are areas we should avoid? We have two young girls who will be starting school soon, and I want our new home to be in a school district which will be great for them. I am a certified middle school teacher, so I will be looking for a teaching job, as well. I would like to work in (as well as send my children to) a school that is less "diverse". So mainly, I'm wondering what are good areas to live in which would feed into great schools?

Old 07-30-2011, 01:35 PM

3 posts, read 15,383 times
Top elementary schools in the Bowling Green system are Potter Gray and McNeill. In the county system the best ones are in the southern part. Richpond is the top, Natcher is also good. All of those will probably meet your "less diverse" criteria as well. Others might as well depending on what you really mean (race? income?) The county is building another new elem school on Elrod road (seems like a new one every other year or so) so there will be another redistricting again soon. As far as employment for a middle school teacher, you guys should've moved last year--they just had the hiring spurt for the new South Warren Middle and High. Not sure how much hiring they are doing now though maybe they are replacing at the other schools. I know there was quite a bit of annoyance at the new school looting many of the top teachers from the other ones in the area.

I don't know anything about the condo/townhouse market and especially about new constructions since we are looking at 4 br single family dwellings. There are a lot of newer subdivisions in and around the city that still have empty lots due to the crash. We've been renting a house since moving here a couple years ago and just started really looking. Most houses in our range are staying on the market 8-10 months and going for 70-100K less than the initial price so it is definitely a buyers market. On the other hand, it doesn't appear that prices have bottomed yet so we've decided to take our time looking.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 10,353 times
Default Is it the certification that makes you choose to be less diverse?

As a "certified" school teacher, you ought to naturally embrase diversity. You seem to have chosen the wrong occupation. Life is too precious to waste doing the wrong thing.

Take it from a product of a long line of teachers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfTwo1724 View Post
My husband and I are relocating to Bowling Green, KY. We are looking to buy a new construction condo/townhome. What are some newer subdivisions in the city? What are areas we should avoid? We have two young girls who will be starting school soon, and I want our new home to be in a school district which will be great for them. I am a certified middle school teacher, so I will be looking for a teaching job, as well. I would like to work in (as well as send my children to) a school that is less "diverse". So mainly, I'm wondering what are good areas to live in which would feed into great schools?

Old 08-19-2011, 10:39 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,165,868 times
Bowling Green is surprisingly a very 'diverse' city for it's size, so it might not be one you will enjoy. The high school my son attened (Bowling Green High School) had something like 15 languages spoken. The reason for so much diversity is that Bowling Green is an international refuge city so we have many immigrants from various countries. We also have a large university (Western KY University) that contributes to the diversity.

The least diverse high school is Greenwood and the best elementary schools that feed into that are Natcher and Briarwood. This is in the county school system and in the 42104 zip code. The least diverse elementary school in the city is probably Potter Gray but it feeds into Bowling Green Jr High and Bowling Green High and they are extremely diverse. That would be the 42013 zip code. If you don't like diversity, avoid all 42101 zip codes on the west side of town. A lot of those areas are very hispanic and Bosnian.

We never minded the diversity in the schools, I think it is a learning experience and can be positive. It's all in how you approach it.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 6,877 times
I am planning on moving to Bowling Green, KY in the coming months. I'm originally from NYC, moved to Texas a year ago and now moving to KY to be closer to my husband's family. I'm Puerto Rican and he's White. As I'm reading these threads to find out a great place to live (low crime rate, high graded schools) I am surprised to see how racism still exists. However unwelcoming and racist some of you are, I will still move there and provide my kids a great life style. I was blessed to grow up with diversity as it taught me to love my fellow brother and sister. I hope that one day some of you can feel the same way.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:03 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehardin328 View Post
I am planning on moving to Bowling Green, KY in the coming months. I'm originally from NYC, moved to Texas a year ago and now moving to KY to be closer to my husband's family. I'm Puerto Rican and he's White. As I'm reading these threads to find out a great place to live (low crime rate, high graded schools) I am surprised to see how racism still exists. However unwelcoming and racist some of you are, I will still move there and provide my kids a great life style. I was blessed to grow up with diversity as it taught me to love my fellow brother and sister. I hope that one day some of you can feel the same way.
This is a five year old thread and the post you are most likely reacting to was written by someone who has not posted in years and only posted one or two times - in other words a troll. This is not a common sentiment, anyway. If you would like to ask about the area near Bowling Green or schools in the area please start a new thread.

THREAD CLOSED
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky