U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2007, 12:52 PM

2 posts, read 16,871 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to the Richmond area due to his company building a new facility next year. I am a special education teacher for students with emotional behavioral disabilities. I was wondering what the benefits and salaries were for teachers in the Madison county schools. What is the job market like for my degree? I have a ton more questions as we make the decision to move our family or not. We were both born and raised here in Wisconsin with all of our families still in the area. Some information on what my job outlook will be like would help us out immensely. I'm sure I'll be posting more as time goes on!

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 11:52 AM

190 posts, read 747,493 times
Default Madison County

Hi Tatormac,

I am a sub for the Madison County schools, and my sister-in-law is a special ed. teacher for a local grade school. I believe you can find all the info you need at

Madison County Schools KY - Central Office (http://www.madison.kyschools.us/dist/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemi d=103&lang=en - broken link).

The retirement is great, and the benefits pretty equal to other areas.

The job market around is pretty good, especially with the new grade school, and a new jr. and high school being built.

Have you visited Richmond yet? I love that town! We live approximately 12 miles out in the "county", in Waco. I was raised in Richmond, and am there about every day. There's plenty for the kids to do, as there is a skating rink, Galaxy bowling, the mall, cinemas, Lake Reba recreation area, sports leagues, and more. I'm sure you will love it-it's like a mix between a small town, and a growing city.

Check out:

Madison County Board of REALTORS®

That's the Madison County Board of Realty website, which can give you a "heads up" on the housing market. You can also check out

REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale

Search within 10-15 miles of Richmond (zip 40475). I hope all this helps, and if you need anything else, just let me know!

Welcome home!
~joanna~

Old 08-15-2007, 06:12 AM

2 posts, read 16,871 times
Thanks, Joanna! I really appreciate the response and links. It's helpful to see the different schools as we need to consider where our children will be going to school. My daughter will be entering 1st grade in a year and my son will still be home--any suggestions on daycare/babysitters??? Also, what do the abbreviations FMD and LBD stand for? They're new to my special ed vocab.

One last school related question for now--does Kentucky have a school choice program? In Wisconsin, parents can choose to have their children attend a school not considered the "neighborhood" school if aproved by the school board. I would only consider this based on where I might end up finding a job and where my daughter would be going to school. I'm not sure yet I want to be working at the same school as her, but I would like to know if that were an option.

Thanks again for your help and kindness! We sure hope we find it to be like home in Kentucky!

Old 08-15-2007, 11:20 AM

190 posts, read 747,493 times
I know of several great daycares and will send them thru a pm. I would have to say my personal favorite grade school in the area is Daniel Boone Elementary, although all of them are good. Second would have to be Kingston Elementary.

The abbreviation FMD stands for functional mental disability, which is basically what it says: the child has a mental disability, but able to function well within a normal classroom setting. LBD is learning and behavior disorders, which some schools require special certification to work with these children. I'm sure you can request a packet from the Madison County School Board which will give you all the info you need about these things.
I'm not sure about the school choice program. From what I understand your child would go to school based on the neighborhood or area you live in. I do know that most children who have parents that are teachers are usually placed in another classroom if they attend that school, which works out pretty well most of the time. It's comforting for the child to know that mom is in the same building, and can be there at a moment's notice, or at least, that's the way it has worked for some of my friends and myself!
I do have one friend who did not want her son to go to a certain school, so she drove him to another within the district. She did this up until he started middle school. I'm not sure if the school board knew this, but it may be an option for you.
We have some really nice subdivisions around the Richmond area, and I'm sure you will be able to find a nice home close to where-ever you work. My brother and sister-in-law just built a home within walking distance of Kingston School so that it would be easy for her to get to work. There's plenty of affordable housing around, but with two children I would suggest checking on the outskirts of town. Try to avoid the Hill/Frances streets (a well-knows drug area) areas, Green's Crossing (has a car racetrack that runs all hours of the night), and the Ballad/Smith/Turpin drives areas (high crime/drugs). I would suggest the Red House Road area, Kingston areas, Waco, the new bypass, and some of the older, more established subdivisions. A good realtor can help you out there, especially if you let them know the areas you want to avoid. If you like living in town, in a nice older-home type area, have your realtor check the West Main area. Sunset Avenue has some beautiful older homes, mostly occupied by teachers, professors, doctors, etc. We have a real nice upscale subdivision right on Lake Reba as well. The realtor can help you out there, as well. Please, feel free to write to me with any questions! I love being able to help others out.
All the best,
joanna

Old 08-25-2007, 09:31 AM

3 posts, read 28,295 times
Hi Tatormac,

Just thought that I would let you know that FMD does stand for Functionally Mentally Disabled and that this means that the child is placed in a seperate room with a techer and a couple of paraeducator(aides) that help the child out with a wide range of things from feeding the child to toileting. These children are usually severly handicapped and can not function in the regular classroom without modifications and an aide to go with them. Usually an FMD student only attends the "regular" classroom activities for a specified amount of time.

LBD stands for Learning and Behavior disorders these students are in a regular classroom setting for the majority of the day and they go to what is called a resource room (LBD Teacher) for extra help in the areas that they are suffering.

Both of these areas require a special certification to hold a job in. However with the lack of Special Ed. teachers there is such a thing as Emergency Certification, which basically means that you can be hired for that position but you must be attending college for the degree required.

Also as part of the benefits package in the county your daughter would be able to attend the school that you are employed by, regardless of which district that you reside in assuming that you are employed by an elementary school of course.

For more information on Special Ed. you could contact the director of Special Education Dr. Karen Frohoff at 859-624-4586. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or