U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 06:20 PM

1,833 posts, read 5,874,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonyon View Post
Why did we eat there? It was 7 PM, we were exhausted from travelling and very hungry, and did not know of any other fast food restaurant there.
It's next to (within eye shot) an Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and Cracker Barrel.

Like I said if it's nasty turn around and leave, hungry or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,505 times
Default Manager was out? Give me a break!

The manager was out? Yea right... out for the last 5 years? The representative you spoke with must have been either dumb or new to the job, because I have lived in Cave City for 22 years since I was a little girl, and for the last 5 years, I have never walked in that restaurant when it wasn't filthy, and when the smell didn't make me want to vomit. I don't go on my own anymore... only for chuch potlucks (when people request KFC). I tried to purchase some gift checks for a coworker's birthday (who loves KFC) last week. Again, the restaurant was filthy, the smell was overpowering, and the cleanliness and friendliness of the staff left something to be desired. Please don't let them fool you with their "manager was out" excuse. If anyone is planning on travelling to the area, please don't hold our handful of "greasy spoon" restaurants against us. We are plentiful in many wonderful restaurants. Might I suggest Sahara Steakhouse (recently taken back over by the wonderful, former owners), Rawhide Steakhouse, Subway, Long John Silvers, Wendy's (although check your order, because while the food is good, I've never received my correct order the first time around), even McDonald's and Taco Bell (while slightly dirtier than the others, they aren't half as bad as KFC) are decent. We have a fabulous Dairy Queen with great long-term staff on further in Cave City (located on 31W North from I-65, near the WigWam Village). Hope this helps. Sorry you had such a horrible experience. Please don't think bad of our town! :-)

Old 09-06-2007, 11:52 AM

3,061 posts, read 7,462,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave City Native View Post
, Wendy's (although check your order, because while the food is good, I've never received my correct order the first time around), :-)

I think this is a Wendy's "thing". The ones here in Maine are the same way and when we were in TN. three years ago, they messed up our order too!

Old 09-06-2007, 12:00 PM

5,642 posts, read 17,328,428 times
Our KFC here too is a mess. It looks like it has not been remodeled since 1980. Time to stop milking the cow and putting some $$ back into that store.

There are 2 others about 5 miles farther though. That are nice, well run and clean. Depends on the franchise owner.

But honestly, the worst fastfood restaurants I have ever seen are in Orlando/Kissimmee Florida area. They must have a hard time getting good help down there.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:38 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,967,263 times
Here in Louisville they have started tearing the old ones down an building new ones so I imagine y'all will be getting new ones too eventually since you are in a tourist area. Sounds to me like ya need it!

Old 09-07-2007, 01:40 PM

190 posts, read 747,493 times
Default Cave City

Okay, we went to Cave City last weekend, just to look around and do Guntown Mountain, ride horses, all the touristy stuff. When we were searching for a hotel room (remember it was the holiday) we went by the WigWam Village, knowing not to stay because of earlier posts. Well, we stopped at a hotel (Caveland Motel) to get a room. The rooms were all full, and we couldnt' see a room because people were still in them. The manager said it wouldn't be ready until after 1, so we put down the money and left to do our thing. He called at 4 to say it was ready. We returned about 6. When we rented the room, the place didn't look half bad. The parking lot was filled with newer cars, and the place looked clean. When we actually got the room, there were tattooed biker-looking people all over the parking lot, some guy sanding on his truck in front of our room, the sidewalks were covered in filth, and the radios of the people was blasting so loud that it would vibrate your chest! We went in the room and it was NASTY!! I told my hubby, let's get in the pool, cool off, and if the bunch out there wasn't gone by the time we were done, we would talk to the manager. Oh, yeah, the lock on the door was broke, the bathroom window was standing open and wouldn't shut all the way, and the doorway between that room and the room beside it didn't have a lock! yeah, we felt real safe.

As soon as we got in the pool, tattoo dude #1 and filthy loud-mouth dude #2 got right in front of our room, and started working numb-chucks, giving us a look to kill! Rude guy was talking so loud we could hear him all the way to the pool, with nothing but "f" this and "f" that, and worse! I have 2 little girls, and I sure didn't want them to hear his filth! So, we decided to talk to the manager. As we are walking up, he goes out and starts cutting up with rude guy and filthy mouth, as well as about 10 more that were just as bad! Come to find out, that was his family! The maid that supposedly cleaned was his wife~!! The manager was talking just as loud and just as filthy as the people partying in the parking lot! We went back to the room, got our stuff and got headed.

Bit of advice, if you are going to Cave City, don't even bother stopping at Caveland Motel, unless you are into drugs, tatttoos, filthy language, and nasty rooms.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,435 times
Default Caveland Motel

You are more brave than I would be with my family. The Caveland Motel (and all the other little motels) are all places that the scarier people of society LIVE out of! I thought this was the case across the entire country with little 10 room motels, and I never even look twice at them. Working in tourism, I deal with people everyday who are mad because they either couldn't get a hotel, couldn't get the right cave tour, or couldn't get in a restaurant they were hoping to visit (all because they did not make reservations). It still amazes me that people would travel ANYWHERE without a plan as of where their family would sleep and stay. I always think it's funny when I see on TV where people are camping out for certain movie or concert tickets, and reserving them in advance, and I think, "Sure, you won't show up to a concert expecting to get tickets at the last minute, but you'll come to one of the natural wonders of the world (and the single largest underground cave system) on one of the largest tourism weekends of the year, and not think twice about needing to check for vacancy in hotels or book tours at attractions. For future use, Comfort Inn (in my opinion) is the nicest Cave City has to offer. There is a regular Comfort Inn and a brand new Comfort Inn Suites. We also have Quality Inn and Super 8 which are decent. Horse Cave (1 exit North on I65 at Exit 58) has a Hampton Inn if the others are full. Otherwise, keep in mind that for most tourist attractions on this side of the country, the "tourist season" is Memorial Day thru Labor Day, with the 4th of July holiday being the largest weekend of the whole season. If you're planning on travelling on a holiday weekend because you're off work and the kids are out of school, don't think you have yourself an original idea... because that's when EVERYONE travels. So, be sure to book in advance... and remember, don't eat at KFC... and don't stay at little roach-infested motels. :-)

Old 01-27-2008, 02:48 AM

149 posts, read 703,157 times
Woke up this thread because I've been staying at Cave City recently, exploring nearby Bowling Green for work opportunities less than 30 minutes away but wantin to duck expensive temporary lodging at BG.

Can strongly recommend Star Hotel for incredibly reasonable rates, like $100 per week and $360 per month w/ micro, fridge etc. Calvin and Debra are friendly hospitable people who run the place. Its got large community kitchen for barbecues among long-term residents too. Also walking distance to Dollar General across the street and roadside outdoor market next door. Yep, had an excellent stay at the Star Hotel - nothing fancy but decent accomodations. Everybody staying there was polite with zero drunks or druggers. And it was "open door safe" meaning I'd run errands and leave the door unlocked. Neighbor there kept case of pop outside his door to keep it cold, knowing nobody would steal it.

Best restaurant at Cave City was small family owned place served pulled pork and ribs, down the block from McDonalds. Also a pretty good Mexican place behind the Marathon gas station. And an excellent stake house next to the Animal Museum on the road to Glasgow.

I liked Cave City with all the rock shops, antiquities stores and whatnot. Drive 20 minutes in any direction from there and y'all find amazing scenery with lotsa cool stuff like Cave Museum and KY Repertory Theatre located at Horse Cave.

My advice to anybody pulling off the highway is use the "5 minute rule" - keep on driving 5 minutes and explore the neighborhood instaed of gettin stuck at the first chain restaurant you see.

But gotta admit, some of the stories on this thread about KFC and Caveland Hotel are outrageous. Kitchenwich, I'm surprised you didnt pick up the phone and file a complaint with the chamber of commerce. Nevertheless, was i the only one laughing at the KFC story? Heck, elsewhere in the commonwealth there's darkly lit saloons and hole in wall restaurants that would probly scare most outa state visitors to death - never judge a book by its cover, says me.

One of my favorite restaurants of all time serves anything and everything that customers bring (given 24-48hr notice to prepare). During hunt and fishing seasons, folks show up with everything from snapper turtle to possum. Naturally it's got sawdust on the floor, paper plates, rough cut wooden tables, smoke constantly billowing from outdoor barbecue pit in back. And if ye didnt know the place, you'd think it was fire trap hazard. God save the commonwealth from picayune tastes and opinions that wanna tame and "civilize" everything they see.

Last edited by KYcoyote; 01-27-2008 at 03:06 AM..

Old 01-27-2008, 03:06 AM

774 posts, read 1,698,856 times
I visited Cave City last July. I found the surrounding area's scenery to be great. For small town ambience, I was impressed with nearby Glasgow. I liked the shops in Cave City, and nearby Mammoth Cave National Park is something else. I did stay in the Super 8 in Cave City across from the KFC, but didn't go in. They said they didn't have a buffet. I went next door to Taco Bell. It took forever to get my order in, but didn't have any problems otherwise. Unfortunately, fast food workers do not have as easy of a job as it seems to be and they can be under a lot of pressure. I respect them, as they do a good job for the most part and are only trying to make an honest living.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:43 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,967,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYcoyote View Post
One of my favorite restaurants of all time serves anything and everything that customers bring (given 24-48hr notice to prepare). During hunt and fishing seasons, folks show up with everything from snapper turtle to possum. Naturally it's got sawdust on the floor, paper plates, rough cut wooden tables, smoke constantly billowing from outdoor barbecue pit in back. And if ye didnt know the place, you'd think it was fire trap hazard. God save the commonwealth from picayune tastes and opinions that wanna tame and "civilize" everything they see.
Where is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky