U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-04-2011, 01:08 PM

8,761 posts, read 5,245,722 times

Advertisements

I just believe that my rights end where the next person's begin. They have the right to practice their religion and lifestyle, but if they are going to be on the public roads with cars and trucks, they need to follow the law to protect themselves and others. We have mostly Mennonites in this area and occasionally they are on the road at dusk when it is hard to see. I don't know about before sunrise, I try to never see that hour of the day myself...lol.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 02:19 PM

2,863 posts, read 2,152,607 times
Yesterday in central Ohio I've seen an Amish man handling a horse drawn chemical fertilizer or herbicide sprayer. Commercially built, all bows and whistles, not a small thing either. How herbicides/fertilizers fit in the 16th century life? In truth, Amish are making all kinds of compromises with technology (willfully and under pressure). Why not one more that could prevent something like this from happening:

The truck driver, Mark Bohms, was charged with murder after the crash in Hopkinsville, Kentucky. Bohms, 52, of Robinson, Illinois, is being held at the Christian County Jail (for a couple of months at least!!!) and has also been charged with operating a vehicle under the influence,

Read more: Amish girl, 3, killed as truck hits family's horse and cart in Kentucky | Mail Online

Of course, media did not follow up on this. The trucker was clean of drugs and alcohol, apparently Kentucky police has "trouble" recognizing signs of post accidental shock, they would rather lock people up and keep them in jail for months to "save face".

Old 10-04-2011, 05:40 PM

2,917 posts, read 5,282,825 times
But do the Amish get out on the roads at night in their buggies?? That's a very scary thought.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:41 PM

710 posts, read 1,151,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Yesterday in central Ohio.......
Was this up around Berlin and Charm?

Old 10-04-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
Was this up around Berlin and Charm?

Little bit south of Kenton off US68.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:27 PM

5,368 posts, read 7,552,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Yesterday in central Ohio I've seen an Amish man handling a horse drawn chemical fertilizer or herbicide sprayer. Commercially built, all bows and whistles, not a small thing either. How herbicides/fertilizers fit in the 16th century life? In truth, Amish are making all kinds of compromises with technology (willfully and under pressure). Why not one more that could prevent something like this from happening:

The truck driver, Mark Bohms, was charged with murder after the crash in Hopkinsville, Kentucky. Bohms, 52, of Robinson, Illinois, is being held at the Christian County Jail (for a couple of months at least!!!) and has also been charged with operating a vehicle under the influence,

Read more: Amish girl, 3, killed as truck hits family's horse and cart in Kentucky | Mail Online

Of course, media did not follow up on this. The trucker was clean of drugs and alcohol, apparently Kentucky police has "trouble" recognizing signs of post accidental shock, they would rather lock people up and keep them in jail for months to "save face".
The media DID follow up on this. I read in the Kentucky New Era (Hopkinsville), the Paducah Sun, the Henderson Gleaner, and the Lexington Herald Leader. Those are the ones I check out from time to time online. All test came back that he was clean at the time of the accident but they couldn't release him until almost a week later when the Grand Jury met to drop all charges. The accident happened July 8. Mr. Bohms never moved away from his truck, even after being asked by state police. At the hospital in Hoptown, a drug recognition expert with KSP evaluated Mr. Bohms and suspected him of being under the influence of some type of drug. He was released after a clean drug test in early September.
This was an unfortunate accident. You can't blame the Amish (which many will anyway) and you can't blame the driver.
Before you jump all over the media, or anybody else, get your facts straight.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:47 PM

Since I'm not a local, I used Google to find follow up stories and whatever few follow up stories are out there, they are absolutely and overwhelmingly drowned in the original July news stories about a drugged trucker who killed an Amish toddler. All kinds of news outlets, literally hundreds, from around the world reported the story. Few obscure (hard to impossible to find in the avalanche of the July stories) media outlets followed up. I call this asymmetry - "not following up".

The guy was driving professionally for 17 years, in the age of the disposable labor (especially trucking labor), you can't do that if you are not "genetically" safe and cautious driver. One thing about being a safe driver - looking far ahead, it's a must for a 17 years long career, if the driver would see even a hint of something out of the ordinary at a distance, he wouldn't get distracted before finding out what's going on. And as this picture suggests there is no universal Amish objection to reflective triangles. Also, I've seen them using battery powered blinkers on their buggies.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:29 AM

8,761 posts, read 5,245,722 times
It's the law for a reason and it just needs to be followed. It is for everyone's safety. The Mennonites in our area that I have seen follow the law in this regard. I don't think they have a problem with it. The Amish are a little different so maybe they are less cooperative...I don't really know.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:04 PM

I can't find the article now but one day the newspaper was talking about the truck driver and would you believe the trucking company was only paying him between $400-$500 a week! Probably a good thing he's single with no family with that kind of pay.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:59 PM

The local TV station interviewed the Amish men who have been arrested again for no symbol on the back. Here's their reasoning.
Amish men refuse to pay fine, cite religious beliefs | WPSD Local 6 - News, Sports, Weather - Paducah KY | Local
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky