U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:15 AM

276 posts, read 527,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightInExile View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates Florida. I was raised in New York and lived there until I graduated from high school, and then moved with my folks to Florida to start a new life. My parents left New York for several reasons: they couldn't take the cold anymore and also felt that their exporting business would thrive better in the Sunshine State, and we have family down here as well. I went through college and graduated with two degrees, had various jobs throughout my stay in Florida and I absolutely hate it. I've never liked the heat and humidity, both are lethal combinations, they are my kriptonite. It's reached a point where I can't even step out of my house to take in some fresh air or go for a nice walk because its so damn hot, humid, and sticky! And whenever I do garden work, I always get eaten up by the bugs and other types of pests lurking about the area. This is especially self evident when it rains. The more it rains, the more unwanted visits I get from ants, flies, mosquitoes, and lizards. And because my house rests next to a lake, I have to be on the lookout for prowling alligators who would love to have me listed on their lunch menu. I've read newspaper articles of people being eaten by alligators and as a matter of fact, three women were EATEN (killed and chewed up) by hungry alligators. One of them was just dangling her feet off of a dock and WHOOSH! She was yanked down into the water, drowned and ripped apart for 15 minutes (what a nasty way to go, too).

There is no water, the lawns are drying up, and we're on water restrictions. And while we're on the subject, Florida's water system is horrific, its not clean.

Check out what the World Health Organization says about it:

WHO | Health risks in aquifer recharge using reclaimed water - State of the art report

The beaches are eroding, crime is at an all-time high, illegal immigrants is on the rise, taxes have gone crazy, there's no affordable home/health insurance, and while hurricanes is something we Floridians have to dealt with for at least half a year, now we also have to worry about tornadoes too because our cars are contributing to global warming, wonderful. Plus, it is extremely difficult to make friends around here and I'm an easygoing, friendly and social guy. But worse of all, it is very disappointing to not find those few friends of the high quality kind, you know, the ones that will always be there for you no matter how bad things may get. Despite the fact that I have some family here, I don't connect with them because their values don't match my own. All they talk about is superficial themes like fashion, gossip, money, power, and status. They are completely materialistic and hedonistic. Heck, I don't even know the names of my neighbors, but in New York I knew the names of all of them. I feel so lonely and unwelcome here. My parents are also fed up with living in Florida and they are considering selling their house and retire to their native country Argentina. As for myself, I want to sell my house too and move back to New York where I have family that I care about. And I also miss the change of seasons too, winter in particular. It's funny, when I was living in New York, I didn't appreciate it at the time and thought that moving to Florida would be a romantic adventure. Boy, was I wrong! Prior to my move to Florida, I was considering moving to California after visiting it years before and loved it. But looking back on it, I'm glad I didn't because California is in worse shape than Florida. For those who love living in Florida, more power to you, but as for myself, I want out. Are there other states that I can look into that have cooler climates?

Having lived in CA for years, I'd take CA hands down. The only problem I am having is selling; otherwise, I'd be gone too. I hope to get going before too long. Your comments regarding the humidity and bugs is well taken. I'm so sick of fire ants. I have never been so chewed up with bites in any place that I have lived like I have in this place. I just can't go outside especially evening when it starts to cool down a bit (such as it is) since the bugs really start biting at that time of the day. Sweat, sweat, and sweat all day long. I also want a cooler climate. Hey, no place is perfect, but this place truly sucks!
PS Good luck selling because it's very difficult now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 10:15 PM

5,293 posts, read 7,261,282 times
Florida, my step daughter and family just moved back here to the Cadiz area in west Kentucky from South Carolina. Her hubby is military and requested Ft. Campbell. He said the one main thing he liked about here before he even got all the furniture in the house was the ground. In South Carolina all they had was sand. Now he could look down and actually see dirt! Said he thought about laying down and rolling in it! lol

Old 08-23-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Florida, my step daughter and family just moved back here to the Cadiz area in west Kentucky from South Carolina. Her hubby is military and requested Ft. Campbell. He said the one main thing he liked about here before he even got all the furniture in the house was the ground. In South Carolina all they had was sand. Now he could look down and actually see dirt! Said he thought about laying down and rolling in it! lol
Yep, it is sand! FL is a sandbar between the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic. No, I don't care for living on a sandbar, and I sure would like to live on some "real dirt!"

Old 08-25-2010, 01:05 AM

4 posts, read 4,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridahater View Post
Having lived in CA for years, I'd take CA hands down. The only problem I am having is selling; otherwise, I'd be gone too. I hope to get going before too long. Your comments regarding the humidity and bugs is well taken. I'm so sick of fire ants. I have never been so chewed up with bites in any place that I have lived like I have in this place. I just can't go outside especially evening when it starts to cool down a bit (such as it is) since the bugs really start biting at that time of the day. Sweat, sweat, and sweat all day long. I also want a cooler climate. Hey, no place is perfect, but this place truly sucks!
PS Good luck selling because it's very difficult now!
If I had to choose between California and Florida, it would be Florida because you guys have higher crime, higher taxes, mudslides, tornadoes, forest fires, and earthquakes. We have hurricanes, but at least we can prepare for it in advance, unlike earthquakes and we don't have a state income tax. By the way, you're right about no place is perfect, its all relative. What's right for one person may not be suitable for someone else. For me, the perfect place is somewhere cooler like Canada and I'm seriously considering relocating there permanently. But for now, I am aiming at my old hometown, New York.

Tell me, just how hot does it get in California?

Old 08-25-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightInExile View Post
If I had to choose between California and Florida, it would be Florida because you guys have higher crime, higher taxes, mudslides, tornadoes, forest fires, and earthquakes. We have hurricanes, but at least we can prepare for it in advance, unlike earthquakes and we don't have a state income tax. By the way, you're right about no place is perfect, its all relative. What's right for one person may not be suitable for someone else. For me, the perfect place is somewhere cooler like Canada and I'm seriously considering relocating there permanently. But for now, I am aiming at my old hometown, New York.

Tell me, just how hot does it get in California?
That is precisely the point! You can escape the heat in CA (although it's very dry) by going to the coast or the mountains. In CA, I would be throwing snowballs and walking on the beach the same day; or, I would go to the desert. Here in FL, there is no escape from the hot muggy air and flat terrain. Sure, you can prepare in advance for hurricanes, and you can also get trapped on I-95 trying to flee. Hey, I wouldn't mind Canada either. I just want out of heat, humidity, bugs, mold, crime, crowds and on and on.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:28 PM

1,230 posts, read 2,246,003 times
With a name like Floridahater, it def. is your time to move on - all the places mentioned here with mild summers, are brutal in the winter. As for bugs, Canada and some northern states have mosquitoes the size of small birds!!

Old 08-25-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridahater View Post
That is precisely the point! You can escape the heat in CA (although it's very dry) by going to the coast or the mountains. In CA, I would be throwing snowballs and walking on the beach the same day; or, I would go to the desert. Here in FL, there is no escape from the hot muggy air and flat terrain. Sure, you can prepare in advance for hurricanes, and you can also get trapped on I-95 trying to flee. Hey, I wouldn't mind Canada either. I just want out of heat, humidity, bugs, mold, crime, crowds and on and on.
You should definitely go visit Canada to see if its for you. I can tell you that I've been there several times and fell in love with that country. The people are very friendly and forthcoming and the Canadian government really looks out for its people. If you're a winter person, then its the place for you.

What's the hottest temperature in California that you've experienced?

Old 08-26-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
With a name like Floridahater, it def. is your time to move on - all the places mentioned here with mild summers, are brutal in the winter. As for bugs, Canada and some northern states have mosquitoes the size of small birds!!

Yes, it is time for me to move on. God willing, I will be shortly as soon as I sell. Hey, you're also correct when you mentioned mosquitoes in Canada (especially around the Great Lakes) as well as in northern states. They are huge!! Again, there is no perfect place in this world; however, I just want some solitude with a bit more variety in climate and topography. I sure like those wonderful colors in autumn!!!

Old 08-26-2010, 10:30 AM

54 posts, read 70,104 times
Floridahater, what part of Florida do you reside in? I'm in the same situation as you, just on the opposite side. I'm currently selling my home in Lexington, KY and trying to move to Florida at the moment.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitty13 View Post
Floridahater, what part of Florida do you reside in? I'm in the same situation as you, just on the opposite side. I'm currently selling my home in Lexington, KY and trying to move to Florida at the moment.
I'm attempting to sell my house too. I reside within the Broward County area of South Florida. Would you be interested?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky