U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2007, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 9,521 times

Advertisements

Thank goodness, it's not just me. I've lived in Florida all of my life and willingly dealt with the bugs, the heat, and the humidity. The drought, however, has pushed me over the limit. Where is the joy of gardening when the plants all look as if they've melted no matter how much you water? My husband is from Ashland and during our annual family visit last year, we passed through and fell madly in love with Carter County and the many Indigo Buntings we saw there. My thought is to open a bed and breakfast somewhere off I-64. Hubby, however, wants the security of a regular paycheck. He is in store manager in a fastener company now (sells and repairs nail guns) and knows enough about carpentry to pass muster. Any suggestions for where to work? Is Lexington too far to commute?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 03:19 PM

276 posts, read 715,006 times
After years of living in CA (a better climate) and several years in FL (a bug invested swamp where one lives in air conditioning for over 3/4 of the year), I am more than ready to leave. As usual, the problem is finding work. If I was retired, it would be a mute question. I'd be gone in a heartbeat. I only came here due to my mother's illness.

In the winter, we now have tornadoes (Merry Christmas last year), and I live on pins and needles watching the hurricane development from June to Nov. I fail to see the appeal of this state, but I suppose that we all have our different tastes. I was getting fed up with CA when I lived there, but at least the climate was better. All I do in FL is sweat, sneeze and swear!

Old 08-22-2007, 03:19 AM

1 posts, read 4,754 times
Default I Moved From Florida a Year Ago

I lived in Florida for 26 years and my wife was born there. We couldn't take the high prices, crime, and overpopulation anymore so we moved to Frankfort Kentucky where we are very happy.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:14 AM

323 posts, read 989,535 times
Pillita:

Carter and Rowan Counties are very beautiful indeed (I live in Rowan County - Morehead area and work in Carter County - Grayson).

Lexington would be too far to commute (unless a two hour commute is fine with your hubby!) BUT if you make your B&B somewhere off I-64 in Carter County, then Huntington WV is not that far away and cerainly within a fairly short commute time for your hubby if need be.

Good luck and Godspeed in your future endeavors here in Ky!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 9,521 times
I hope we will have the opportunity to move to Kentucky and I expect to be very happy. Oven is the word that I use most frequently to describe Central Florida. We'll look into Huntington. My husband has a nephew working there and we may contact him for job suggestions. I'm looking forward to productive gardening and good birding!

Old 08-22-2007, 09:26 AM

118 posts, read 422,681 times
My wife and I are both sick of living in FL. We drove up to Johnson City, TN a few years ago, to visit my sister. We really didn't care for that area.
We are going to go look around up in and around Taccoa,GA in Sept - provided that we don't get hit by a bad hurricane.
After living in Florida for several years, it somehow takes control over you. You want to leave but when you are gone, you want to hurry up and get back home.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:51 AM

All I want is to get out of Florida and never look back. The sooner the better!

Old 09-20-2007, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 4,642 times
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr it really winds me up hearing Floridians talking about how much they hate the weather. Try living in North West England where you are lucky if the temerature reaches 77 6 -10 times a year, its almost always cloudy then the winter comes and you would expect being at such a high latitude that we would have crisp cold snow filled winters. The reality is winter is about the same as summer temperatures at night can hover around the 50 mark and it rains not heavy just rains non stop then its grey and cloudy and mild and windy and then it rains again then summer comes and its supposed to be the hottest year ever so the papers always say in April and May then it rains again and its cold again and then it carries on raining and its windy again then you sit in your house watching tv cos its raining and cold on a July/ August summer evening. Then you get the occasional hot day and everyone is out getting drunk and starting fights and generally behaving like sewr rats and then before you know it ... yes its raining again and its cold again and everyone is pissed off AGAIN!! So please try and understand that i feel no sympathy to you poor people who have to put up with year round sunshine, spectacular thunderstorms ( oh yeah we never get those aswell) Beautiful beaches, a vast array of wildlife. Ok you get the occasional Hurricane but once its gone the heat is back i have watched the news reports post hurricane seen the clear blue skies which follow such majestic beasts. I guess i will come under critiscism for this comment but if you hate Florida so much please swap with me and take me to my dream Thankyou

Old 09-20-2007, 11:29 AM

So, you live in the cold with heat for months or live in FL with air conditioning for months. It all depends upon what one is looking for. Besides, there are other areas of this great nation that have relatively short winter seasons. Florida is more and more expensive (along with high insurance rates); however, the wages here are pathetically low. I've live all over this nation so I believe that I am able to evaluate different places in a fair and equitable manner. I hate humidity, bugs, heat, crime, low wages, crowds, etc.

Actually,the climate and variation in geography is the best in CA. BUT, it is also terribly expensive and the quality of life continues to decline. There are pros and cons to every area, but more people are now leaving FL than are coming in because the "dream" has become tainted (to say the least). If you desire to come to FL as much as I desire to leave FL, your desire is overwhelming. I can't wait to leave (you can take my place with my blessings)!!!!

Old 09-20-2007, 06:58 PM

50 posts, read 274,948 times
My brother lived in Palmetto in an average house. His property taxes were about $1900 and his homeowners insurance jumped from $600 to almost $1900 a year (and he was lucky to find a company to insure him for that amount!). That's about $325 a month just for taxes and insurance!

He sold his house in December and got out of Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or